Exhaust corrosion

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
George H
Bronze Member

Exhaust corrosion

Post by George H »

When I was cleaning my car today I noticed that the exhaust is really corroded. Has anyone else had this? If so how do you cure it? I use Swissvax metal polish on them with a cloth, but it doesn't seem to shift it.

Also, is it anything to do with high oil consumption? As I've noticed a lot of soot can end up on the exhaust if not washed regularly.
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Re: Exhaust corrosion

Post by blazeguarder »

Use some wire wool with the metal polish to shift that corrosion, then follow up with the cloth to bring to a shine. I use this stuff and it's quite good as you get a lot for the money: http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/00-very-f ... e-wool.php
daydotz
Silver Member

Exhaust corrosion

Post by daydotz »

Whatever you do don't look at the back box mines rusty and pitted already :o

Typical of vws it would seem
DbnGuy
New

Post by DbnGuy »

I use stove cleaning liquid on mine and all the corrosion is removed :)
George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

blazeguarder wrote:Use some wire wool with the metal polish to shift that corrosion, then follow up with the cloth to bring to a shine. I use this stuff and it's quite good as you get a lot for the money: http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/00-very-f ... e-wool.php
Cheers! I'll try some of that instead :)
DbnGuy
New

Post by DbnGuy »

Just be careful, this may scratch your exhaust.
George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

DbnGuy wrote:Just be careful, this may scratch your exhaust.
Will do, thanks. Am only going to use wire wool on the corroded/discoloured areas. The Swissvax stuff is pretty good so with wire wool should hopefully get it all off.

I'll be replacing it will a Milltek turbo back exhaust system whenever I'm satisfied the oil consumption issues are sorted anyway :)
DubbisH
Getting There!

Post by DubbisH »

I hadn't cleaned my tip for a while (please keep any sexual innuendos to your self :-) and I had the same issue. I used autosol and one of my mums Brillo pads and it worked a treat. Autosol has almost like little grains of sand in it making it a little more "tough".

Dunno if that stuff your using is like that or not but it's an idea Anywho.

*DubbisH*
gavs
Silver Member

Exhaust corrosion

Post by gavs »

Please guys don't use any kind of scotchbrite pad, steel wool etc because you really don't need to.

Just give them a really good soak with some wheel cleaner, then wash as normal. Following that, get your hands on some autosol (as Dubbish said) an with a soft cloth, spend 10-15 mins removing the "corrosion". Autosol has small particles that break down as you use it so will need to have a few goes at it but this is so you don't scratch the crap out of the surface you're polishing.
George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

gavs wrote:Please guys don't use any kind of scotchbrite pad, steel wool etc because you really don't need to.

Just give them a really good soak with some wheel cleaner, then wash as normal. Following that, get your hands on some autosol (as Dubbish said) an with a soft cloth, spend 10-15 mins removing the "corrosion". Autosol has small particles that break down as you use it so will need to have a few goes at it but this is so you don't scratch the crap out of the surface you're polishing.
What sort of wheel cleaner? I use Bilberry wheel cleaner as it's acid free so I'm not sure if it will be that effective. I might try Iron X on the exhaust though as it's really good at getting metal particles off wheels, might work on the exhaust.
WatchcamGTI
Bronze Member

Post by WatchcamGTI »

+1 on autosol
George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

WatchcamGTI wrote:+1 on autosol
After googling it, it says it's a concentrated acidic cleaner. I'm pretty reluctant to use acid cleaning stuff on my car to be honest.
WatchcamGTI
Bronze Member

Post by WatchcamGTI »

I wouldnt worry - its probably as acidic as orange juice.
I apply with my fingers and they are still attached :)

You wipe it off and can clean afterwards.
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Acid free is just a marketting gimic really. If you have a concentrated basic (alkaline) solution you are just going to do just as much damage.

I would use something like Meguars (it is only for cleaning the exhaust after all) to start with. We use litres of Autosol "Metal Liquid Polish" Art No. 01-001210 at work on polishing aluminium products for companies like Toyota, Nissan, Suzuki, Isuzu etc and don't have any issues. What you have to remember is to put protection on the surface after polishing otherwise the same thing will just keep happening.
WatchcamGTI
Bronze Member

Post by WatchcamGTI »

gavs wrote:Acid free is just a marketting gimic really. If you have a concentrated basic (alkaline) solution you are just going to do just as much damage.

I would use something like Meguars (it is only for cleaning the exhaust after all) to start with. We use litres of Autosol "Metal Liquid Polish" Art No. 01-001210 at work on polishing aluminium products for companies like Toyota, Nissan, Suzuki, Isuzu etc and don't have any issues. What you have to remember is to put protection on the surface after polishing otherwise the same thing will just keep happening.
What do you rcommend for afterwards? Thx