Dave's 16v Open Air 6n

Post pictures of your car! (Max size 30k each - 800x600)
daveb142
New

Dave's 16v Open Air 6n

Post by daveb142 »

Haven't really been on here much, usually over on clubpolo but I've heard good things about this forum so thought I'd show my face! - I'm Dave (not at all obvious from my forum name) - From Plymouth and currently on my 2nd polo!

First polo was a 99' 1.0L 6n..it was the polo l model so all basic - absolutely loved it! apart from the lack of the power..

Then in August, a 1.4 16v Open Air came up for sale cheap close to me and I had to have it...
2 days later and it was mine!
When I first got it:

It needed some work to get it running properly and the bodywork isn't in best shape! So far I have:
- Replaced the front discs and pads
- Replaced the rear drums, shoes, bearings and break cylinders
- New HT Leads and Spark Plugs
- Full Service
- Cleaned the TB and Inlet Manifold

ImageImage

It's got a slight rough Idle so I'm replacing the MAF sensor and Coolant temp sensor next weekend...

Anyway, about a month after I sold it I rebuilt my coilovers and put them on, along with new top mounts and bearings:

Also fitted my old 6n2 rears and new VW Dealer plates and holders:

Have been some other small updates but no pictures, so will update soon!

Comments etc welcome :)

Edit: Anyone who knows how to sort the picture size, please let me know!

Dave
6N2 GTI 00
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: North Wales, Denbighshire - Drives 255bhp EP3 Type R!

Re: Dave's 16v Open Air 6n

Post by 6N2 GTI 00 »

Nice car mate, very tidy 8)
tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

looking good
daveb142
New

Post by daveb142 »

Thanks guys!

Completely forgot I had signed up on here...anyway, few small updates which i'll bundle together:
Few weeks back I finally got around to fitting the new coolant temperature sensor and doing a coolant change at the same time

The coolant temp sensor that was in there before wasn't a genuine one so that's now been replaced by a genuine VW one!

I went about replacing the coolant temp sensor in the first place as the car has been over-fuelling itself especially when cold!... after being vag-com'ed it showed no fault codes, so hopefully it would have either been the coolant temp sensor or maf sensor....replacing the temp sensor has made no difference.. :|

Fortunately I have bought a new MAF sensor from VW, however I need to take the inlet manifold off to fit it which I hope to be doing next week :) Will be replacing the vac hoses at the same time

This is currently the only way into my car to unlock it

Both door locks are broken and i'm that skint I have to wait until next payday to get the replacement parts >.<

Week or so later I've Refitted the undertray for winter/sort of protecting engine and exhaust, got the alternator belt changed at the same time as mine looks like it's been on there since factory and had started to squeal! (was heavily cracked) I've also had the handbrake cables tightened at the garage using their brake effeciency roller thing, so now it's 3 clicks to secure the car instead of 8 or 9! :D

Also i've finally got a replacement driver side window regulator fitted thanks to ScottC for finding one! :wink: so nice to be able to actually use the window! All I need to do now is sort a bolt out on the left regulator and that's both of them sorted.

Temperature seems to drop down when it wants, so a new thermostat and housing will be bought just after christmas from VW, also going to get some VAC hosing and gaskets for the inlet manifold so I can finally get around to fitting the new MAF sensor

Not really interesting but replaced the pollen filter and cleaned under the scuttle panel a bit.

And finally test fitted one of my BBS' that has a tyre on

Unsure to keep the 14"s or get 15"s instead?

And then final little update, Some goodies arrived the other day, got around to fitting them on Saturday!
(not the best pictures, using my s**t phone camera :roll: )
Surprisingly that took me 2 hours. 1 Bolt rounded off and I only had a file, a screw driver and a hammer to try and get it out with :x anyway, got it off in the end and cleaned up the slam panel a bit (after picture was taken)

Fortunately I managed to source a left foglight surround. Cleaned that up and gave it a fresh coat of paint. So currently the front end is looking like this:

Hoping to get some better pictures soon!
Tempted to order some yellow tint for the fog lights, however i'm unsure atm and also skint so that will have to wait! :lol:

Also my lower passenger glovebox that sits under the airbag from Germany has turned up!
Haven't got around to fitting it yet, however I reckon it's going to take some modifying to fit..

Oh and hoping to strip out the carpet this week and seal up the floorpan as i've got soaking driver footwell :( It was coming in through the door so that will get sealed up too!

That's the current update for now ^ sorry if it's all bundled in together, has been a few updates since I last updated this!

Comments Welcome

cheers

Dave
tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

8)
daveb142
New

Post by daveb142 »

:wink:

Another Small update:
Popped down to VW today to pick up the parts I needed to fix my lock and also some new bungs for the floorpan.

Also my new headlight switch arrived!

Seat Ibiza headlight switch that has the option for front and back foglights and also headlight adjustment... I did have a switch that could operate the fogs, however it made my headlights all wonky as it didn't have the electronic adjustment and was an older style switch!

Anyway, got it for a tenner off of ebay ;)
However I did forget that Seat's had red led backlights...
Not the best picture but you can see lol.
I actually kind of like the red.

Will update next when I have sealed the floorpan and will hopefully have better quality pictures!

Oh and Merry Christmas! :D

Cheers

Dave
daveb142
New

Post by daveb142 »

Wow, haven't updated this for ages.

Right, will try to get upto speed.
Since last updated, I have:
- Lowered more, removed helpers and cut bumpstops
- Refurbed wheels and got centre caps
- Got it sat on the BBS'
- Upgraded to a 6N2 GTi steering wheel
- Alarm and Remote Central locking installed
- Put standard grille back on
- Upgraded to a GTi Splitter
- Polished rocker cover and got a BMC CDA air filter
- Full service and more genuine parts done to engine, including air flow mass sensor, inlet gaskets, thermostat, etc.
- Handbrake plate welded
- Picked up spare open air roof
- Both door locks fixed and various new central locking pumps.
- picked up genuine roof bars

And now some pictures..
GTi wheel

Anddd picture dump. Btw it might not all make sense due to copy and paste large quantities haha.

Check out my power gain :lol:

Took the rocker cover off to remove the gasket....

Had no idea how much of a pain it was going to be to remove :| Took me so long to dig all of it out....

Few randoms:

One from the Rolling Road... had to go forwards as it got stuck going on reverse :( meant I had no cold air machine either!

Polished Rocker Cover :)

Fitted all the new gaskets:

and all fitted including new rocker cover bolts ;)

However, broke 2 HT leads and now need a new set. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Not much changed lately. Has been cleaned and polished and it gleams! (yes even through the lacquer peel and rust ).

Anyway, some plans that I want to get done soon......ish:

- Remove the ARB completely, strip it down and clean it up (for the future)
- Replace the passenger window mechanism
- Fix the passenger rear door card
- Tint the fogs yellow
- Pressed plates
- Rear spacers
- New exhaust / custom?
- New bushes and wishbones (doesn't really need doing but looks like they've been on there for a while...)
- Fit a replacement open air roof and sort the rust on the roof.
- Replace all seals on the roof
- Upgrade to 6n2 roof strips (would also replace with a 6n2 windscreen if my chip ever gets worse)

Slightly in the future:
- Respray bonnet, bumper and wings (first)
- Cut rust out and respray car. <- Will most likely be panel by panel mind.

OR. save my money and get a Corrado .Will start cracking on with the small bits for now...

Also,some s**t pictures messing about the other day:

Latest update:
Managed to pick up a spare Open Air roof, motor, wind deflector, seal and headlining today all for £20! 8-)
Will buy a replacement cover for the top and re-condition this one as the inside headlining of the roof is in better condition than mine.

Only picture is of donar car:

So hopefully that's another thing on the mend!

Dave
Retrofr3ak
New

Post by Retrofr3ak »

Nice one Dave, enjoyed that! Smart looking car, good job!
LJHAZE
New

Post by LJHAZE »

Fantastic looking cars. Thoroughly don't mind getting bollocked for being caught on my phone looking at this whilst running my machine. Gonna take some tips from what you've done and apply them to my cars. Top man
tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

looking good mate