Black Polo GTI 6 Speed. 390 BHP Build

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Re: Black Polo GTI 6 Speed. 320 BHP. Won 2nd place @ MIVW

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

Mr Blobby wrote:No problem, I love this thread and im amazed at how you know so much lol.
I do think its unfair at the selling price of modded cars... all the money and effort gone into them and its hard to get a good price :( But I think thats reasonable considering all the upgrades! There was a polo on ebay a few weeks ago and it was a similar one to yours and it was advertised for about 10k and last time I looked at it it had priced dropped to 7k :(

I could do the work myself but without the labour costs its still bloody expensive :( I think I am going to buy a new turbo and manifold my tuner suggested which takes the power up to 260bhp and im going to concentrate on the exterior and interior of the car and if I get bored I may have to take it to stage 3... I do intend on keeping this car for 5 more years max though :)
I agree on the pricing thing but I do these changes for my own benefit. When I comes to selling it I can only hope to find the right buyer willing to pay what I'm asking for. Upgrade sounds good. Hybrid turbo?
nimmo
New

Post by nimmo »

many thanks for your reply, will be looking into this mod.
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

nimmo wrote:many thanks for your reply, will be looking into this mod.
No problem.
Mr Blobby
Silver Member

Post by Mr Blobby »

[quote="9N3 Turbo"[/quote]

I agree on the pricing thing but I do these changes for my own benefit. When I comes to selling it I can only hope to find the right buyer willing to pay what I'm asking for. Upgrade sounds good. Hybrid turbo?[/quote]
Yeah it's a hybrid, I think it's a ko5 hybrid. My tuner said he usually doesn't like hybrids but he had to agree this one was good aha :) I am so undecided on what I want to do :( I'm near stage two so I will do that. But I am so tempted to do stage three instead of just a hybrid, I don't mind spending the money on it, I just don't like the thought of selling it and loosing money :(
Mr Blobby
Silver Member

Post by Mr Blobby »

Also, I take it that your cone filter just allows so much air in it isn't that important that it's hot air?
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

Mr Blobby wrote:Also, I take it that your cone filter just allows so much air in it isn't that important that it's hot air?
Regarding this matter there are many arguments on various forums about heat shields and all that. My opinion is this

1) my car runs an Intercooler. The job of this part is to cool air before it reaches the inlet.
2) no matter how cold the air is it has to go through a HOT turbo
3) my car is not a race car it's built to do what it can when I want it to
4) are you really going to feel the difference of a few BHP?

That's why I now run an open cone with no cold air feed or shield.
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

Mr Blobby wrote:[quote="9N3 Turbo" I agree on the pricing thing but I do these changes for my own benefit. When I comes to selling it I can only hope to find the right buyer willing to pay what I'm asking for. Upgrade sounds good. Hybrid turbo?
Yeah it's a hybrid, I think it's a ko5 hybrid. My tuner said he usually doesn't like hybrids but he had to agree this one was good aha :) I am so undecided on what I want to do :( I'm near stage two so I will do that. But I am so tempted to do stage three instead of just a hybrid, I don't mind spending the money on it, I just don't like the thought of selling it and loosing money :(

When you modify a car you do it coz that's what you want. I know every pound I spend I am unlikely to see back but must have what I want otherwise I won't be happy and will only end up spending twice.

This is my thoughts and not what others may think.
g__humm
Platinum Member

Post by g__humm »

9N3 Turbo wrote:
Mr Blobby wrote:Also, I take it that your cone filter just allows so much air in it isn't that important that it's hot air?
Regarding this matter there are many arguments on various forums about heat shields and all that. My opinion is this

1) my car runs an Intercooler. The job of this part is to cool air before it reaches the inlet.

Cooler air for maf readings may gain bit of lower grunt. And makes the air coming out the turbo slightly cooler effectively making ur intercooler work less/ make the air even cooler than you
Have at the minute.

I would guess this to be minimal effect tho
nimmo
New

Post by nimmo »

Hi, changing the subject to an old one.Have just removed the N249,N117, EGR and SAI pump as am doing engine bay tidy. Have plugged in Integrated Engineering delete plugs for 117 and 249, but they dont do a plug for the SAI pump connecter. Ran car for a couple of days and cel light has just come on, assume it is SAI not connected. Can you please tell me what you did?
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

nimmo wrote:Hi, changing the subject to an old one.Have just removed the N249,N117, EGR and SAI pump as am doing engine bay tidy. Have plugged in Integrated Engineering delete plugs for 117 and 249, but they dont do a plug for the SAI pump connecter. Ran car for a couple of days and cel light has just come on, assume it is SAI not connected. Can you please tell me what you did?
That's correct. The fault code should say something like "SAI incorrect flow".

The only way to stop this happening is to have it mapped out when you get your car mapped.
If you have Revo this is not an option.
So far I only know of Rtech and Badger 5 being able to do this but an reputable tuner should be able to do this for you.
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

g__humm wrote:
9N3 Turbo wrote:

Cooler air for maf readings may gain bit of lower grunt. And makes the air coming out the turbo slightly cooler effectively making ur intercooler work less/ make the air even cooler than you
Have at the minute.

I would guess this to be minimal effect tho
I agree. Lucky for me if I want more power I can tweak my map for more out of the turbo as I'm only using around 20 psi and it's rated to 28-30 psi. So about 30-40 bhp but I still very happy with what I have it's great.
nimmo
New

Post by nimmo »

Many thanks for your help, am going to try a resistor first as I have a stage 2 Revo map.
9N3 Turbo
Platinum Member

Post by 9N3 Turbo »

nimmo wrote:Many thanks for your help, am going to try a resistor first as I have a stage 2 Revo map.
I had Revo and also had a resistor on mine and the engine light still came on every 100 miles or so.
noone025
Bronze Member

Black Polo GTI 6 Speed. 320 BHP. Won 2nd place @ MIVW

Post by noone025 »

Looking good dude!
Cone filter in a box for stock turbo is about as good as you need (with the PD 160).
A bigger turbo like yours needs a lot more air, so a little more heat is less of an issue than flow restriction.

Graphs look like 7psi at 3000 rpm, can the boost come on earlier? Looks laggy, but obviously the flow would be pretty good, so torque would be nice.

Integrated Engineering have the resistors, come to VW Watercooled to see the discussion.
Lowthy1989
Getting There!

Post by Lowthy1989 »

With reference to that comment above, the cone in the box mod turnt out to be completely shocking to running a open cone filter. The difference was around 20bhp infact. Puts it into comparison for you :-)