Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Re: Using Oil!

Post by skipster »

Ok - cheers for that mate, I will reserve judgement for the moment until I get the fix done.
kawabanga
Getting There!

Post by kawabanga »

skipster wrote:I am just about to get the fix done and I had high hopes that this would fix it once and for all. :evil:
I really hope you are right Skipster...!
kawabanga
Getting There!

Post by kawabanga »

This Italian Ibiza 150hp user just had a dyno after software update, he found the same power peak as before (if not a little higher), but a significant torque reduction at low revs.
It seems that the volumex has been inhibited...
This could confirm the theory that there is too much blow by at low rev, due to supercharger action.
Our engine has 250Nm at 2.500rpm, really so much for a 1.400cc gasoline powered...

http://www.ibizatuningclub.com/ITC_Foru ... 40#p971881
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

kawabanga wrote:This Italian Ibiza 150hp user just had a dyno after software update, he found the same power peak as before (if not a little higher), but a significant torque reduction at low revs.
It seems that the volumex has been inhibited...
This could confirm the theory that there is too much blow by at low rev, due to supercharger action.
Our engine has 250Nm at 2.500rpm, really so much for a 1.400cc gasoline powered...

http://www.ibizatuningclub.com/ITC_Foru ... 40#p971881
Many thanks Kawabanga, don't like the sound of 'significant torque reduction', then again this on a 150hp Ibiza. If the same characteristics were to affect the Polo, then it would feel very different as the majority of the time, the engine is on low revs.

As - I say, I am going to reserve judgement until mine is done, but it would be wrong to alter performance characteristics of the car as then I would effectively have a product that is now different from the one sold to me!

The long saga continues ..... :evil:
George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

Mine is booked in for the oil breather pipe to be fit, I'll report back if it feels any different low down afterwards :)
kawabanga
Getting There!

Post by kawabanga »

Just bought the pipe (63€), I'll install by myself this evening, hoping for some improvements, even if I'm fine (1 liter per 10.000Km) compared to other people...

tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

vw doing a report on mine so got to wait back from vw uk as its useing oil
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

Well - mine is in tomorrow for the fix!
kawabanga
Getting There!

Post by kawabanga »

kawabanga
Getting There!

Post by kawabanga »

After having installed the breather pipe by myself (see a little tutorial here), today I've checked the big corrugated intake pipe and I found it completely dry.

It's soon to sing victory, also because I've done only about 250Km, but I was used to find the big pipe oil-wet also after few kms, like in this old picture:

gavs
Silver Member

Using Oil!

Post by gavs »

No surprise really.
kawabanga
Getting There!

Post by kawabanga »

Gavs, probably I was not clear :wink: , my experience is that after pipe changing the big intake pipe is now dry, not like in the old pic...

But it's too early to say that is better than before, I need to drive for other 1.000Km before drawing a conclusion...

skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

My car has had the new breather pipe fitted for a week now, but today I saw 2 plumes of oil smoke while accelerating :(

Just when I was getting my hopes up.
kawabanga
Getting There!

Post by kawabanga »

How many miles since you have the new pipe installed?
Consider that after the new pipe inlet there is all the intake system, included intercooler radiator, so if this system is full of oil, previously injected by the old pipe, it takes a certain time to clean itself... May be that with some strong turbo pressure peaks, some oil is still pushed into the cylinders...
Or at least I hope so... :?

You should take under control the oil dipstick (as usual) and could be interesting also to look at the intake pipe, as per the pic I linked before: there is an easy-removal band, clean the big inlet pipe with a rag dn verify after 100 or 200 miles for possible new oil...

As I said, mine now is completely dry and I've done more than 400Km since I changed the breather pipe, before was always oil-wet...
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

kawabanga wrote:How many miles since you have the new pipe installed?
Consider that after the new pipe inlet there is all the intake system, included intercooler radiator, so if this system is full of oil, previously injected by the old pipe, it takes a certain time to clean itself... May be that with some strong turbo pressure peaks, some oil is still pushed into the cylinders...
Or at least I hope so... :?

You should take under control the oil dipstick (as usual) and could be interesting also to look at the intake pipe, as per the pic I linked before: there is an easy-removal band, clean the big inlet pipe with a rag dn verify after 100 or 200 miles for possible new oil...

As I said, mine now is completely dry and I've done more than 400Km since I changed the breather pipe, before was always oil-wet...
Yes - it is early days, only done 130 miles (208km) since new pipe fitted, also this is nearly all low speed driving (low revs). Not going to panic yet, I checked the dipstick yesterday and the level is still max. Will keep careful watch of this.

Mine is early spec engine CAVE241....

I still think eventually I will need a new engine. Maybe not.