Anyone else had a mechatronics failure?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Hi all,

So, I organised a cruise for some of the locals here in Oz through the Victorian high country on Saturday. All was peachy until 15 minutes in, I suddenly lost all my odd gears, had a check engine light and an intermittent flashing spanner in the selected gear display. I am awaiting a proper diagnostics analysis but it looks to either be the K1 clutch position sensor or, more likely, control valve 3, N435 which is the selector solenoid for the K1 clutch that is for the odd gears. This will most likely result in a mechatronics unit replacement.

So, what I am wondering is this: have you had a mechatronics unit replaced? If so, do you know what the reason was? What were your symptoms that resulted in the replacement?

Cheers,
Gav
NMavs
Gold Member

Re: Anyone else had a mechatronics failure?

Post by NMavs »

Sorry to hear that mate. I can understand your frustration as i went through all this for 10 months when i first got my GTI.

It turned out to be just a software update required on the mechatronics control unit. I had to leave my car with the garage for three days in the end whilst they left it plugged in with VW HQ, who ended up carrying out tests and re-writting some of the code on the box. Think mine was used as one of the test cars to try and rectify the problem.

Touch wood i havent had any problems since, but i was getting this problem 2 or 3 times a week matey. Was very dangerous as it would lock out into safe mode when pulling across busy roads, etc. Nearly had a Range Rover Sport planted in the side off me :(

Let us know how you go on mate, as it took three seperate garage's, numerous phone calls to vw customer service and even a letter to the financial ombusman to get mine sorted eventually :(
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

I think this is a bit different mate, the car will not select any odd gears whatsoever, it will only use the even gears and reverse. It is still perfectly drivable in the even gears with no loss of power etc. By all analysis from what myself and the VW techs can figure out, the symnptoms point to the n435 valve or the clutch position/travel sensor is at fault....
Grey_Polo
Bronze Member

Post by Grey_Polo »

I had the mechatronics replaced free of charge after 25 months. Dealer said it was a known fault.

See thread:
http://www.uk-polos.net/view ... ic#p428561
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Well the update is this: the mechatronics are indeed to blame, specifically the valve that controls the actuation of clutch 1.
gavs
Silver Member

Post by gavs »

Another update, for those of you who have rattles, strange clunky gear changes or shuddering, take it up with Vw Uk because in China, recently every vehicle with a dsg has been given a 10year, 160,000km (100,000 mile) warranty due to the massive public backlash against them, both the DQ200 (7spd dry clutch) and DQ250 (6 speed wet clutch) are included due to dodgy clutches in the 7speed and dodgy mechatronics units across the board. This has also happened in the USA and Russia.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Thats interesting

It will be interesting to see if VW UK follow suit, but UK law isnt strong enough to enforce this kinda warranty as our consumer protections laws are pretty pants

The MK5 Golf GTIs suffer serious issues with DSG related problems from mechatronics failures.