Bye Bye Polo :(

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
George H
Bronze Member

Bye Bye Polo :(

Post by George H »

Well, my Polo GTI is getting traded in tomorrow :(

Getting a Golf GTD instead. I need a bigger car as the Polo is too small for me to use for transporting everything I need for track days. Plus I've started doing a lot more miles than when I got the car so hopefully the GTD should be a bit nicer on my wallet!

Oil consumption issues were starting to come back despite the oil breather pipe upgrade (1 litre+ in the last 700 miles :evil: ). It's still much more fun than the Golf to drive, makes a nicer noise and is a fair bit quicker. I'll miss it! Thanks for all the useful info from this forum too :)

Hopefully I'll be back in a Polo when the R or WRC finally come out :)
stuart.cameron
Bronze Member

Re: Bye Bye Polo :(

Post by stuart.cameron »

I'm going in the same direction, let me know how you get on with the GTD.

Did you buy a new GTD?
George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

stuart.cameron wrote:I'm going in the same direction, let me know how you get on with the GTD.

Did you buy a new GTD?
It's 6 months old. 5 door (hate the 5 doors but need them for practicality). Metallic grey with black leather. Manual, winter pack, RNS510, cruise control, bluetooth and a few other extras.

Took one on a test drive, they're not exactly slow, but it doesn't feel as fast as it's very quiet and only revs to 5k. The Polo feels much faster. A remap may be on the cards - 170bhp/350nm to 215bhp/400+nm! Might make things a bit more interesting :)

I'll post up more of a review when I've driven it a bit more :)
stuart.cameron
Bronze Member

Post by stuart.cameron »

George H wrote:
stuart.cameron wrote:I'm going in the same direction, let me know how you get on with the GTD.

Did you buy a new GTD?
It's 6 months old. 5 door (hate the 5 doors but need them for practicality). Metallic grey with black leather. Manual, winter pack, RNS510, cruise control, bluetooth and a few other extras.

Took one on a test drive, they're not exactly slow, but it doesn't feel as fast as it's very quiet and only revs to 5k. The Polo feels much faster. A remap may be on the cards - 170bhp/350nm to 215bhp/400+nm! Might make things a bit more interesting :)

I'll post up more of a review when I've driven it a bit more :)
Very good. Turns out I cant insure a 3 door but the 5 doors fine.... Strange haha.
I'm after an automatic one :) Remap does sound very interesting, go have a look at the Milltek exhaust for it, 3" dual tail pipes ;)
tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

Good luck mate
stephenmccomb
New

Post by stephenmccomb »

New car sounds beautiful. Good luck with it!
daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

good luck id love a gtd 8)
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

Yes - good luck mate.

My patience is wearing thin with repeated visits to the dealer, phone calls, emails, time wasted and so on for the oil consumption issue.

Hopefully I will have some form of resolution soon.
George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

skipster wrote:Yes - good luck mate.

My patience is wearing thin with repeated visits to the dealer, phone calls, emails, time wasted and so on for the oil consumption issue.

Hopefully I will have some form of resolution soon.
Cheers :)

I was getting sick with the problems of the GTI. A great little car but hampered by all the little issues. I hope you get all yours sorted :)
George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

Some quick pictures of the new car.

God it seems dull to drive in comparison to the Polo. I think it's due to the lack of noise. A lot comfier ride too, definitely less hard than the Polo. Not sure if that's a good thing or not :lol: Better on long journeys, but much less fun when pushing down a good B road.

Averaged 53mpg so far which is brilliant, only got 35 average from the Polo. The leather interior is much better than the Polo's tartan cloth one imo. I love the rear LED lights too 8)

So basically for the people considering a change to a GTD, they're good, but nowhere near as sporty as the GTI. I can feel an upgrade to a Golf R coming on next year (if I can find somewhere to do a towbar for one, those central exhausts make it difficult but can be done apparently) :)
Craigy
Bronze Member

Post by Craigy »

Very nice car

Surprised the oil consumption thing ain't been on watchdog yet
daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

nice best colour as well :D
Match
Bronze Member

Post by Match »

very smart 8) a nice compromise between sportiness and sensibility
George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

Match wrote:very smart 8) a nice compromise between sportiness and sensibility
Cheers, I can't help but feel it's too far into the 'sensibility' category though!

I drove past a car dealer near me today which had this in the showroom - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... code=ucnnp

Now I keep thinking of changing it! :lol:
sony
Getting There!

Post by sony »

George H wrote:
Match wrote:very smart 8) a nice compromise between sportiness and sensibility
Cheers, I can't help but feel it's too far into the 'sensibility' category though!

I drove past a car dealer near me today which had this in the showroom - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... code=ucnnp

Now I keep thinking of changing it! :lol:
Stick with the GTD- It really is a great compromise imo.