Heated windscreen

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
CANDYMAN
Gold Member

Heated windscreen

Post by CANDYMAN »

Why didn't vw offer a heated windscreen??? Ford can do it so you would think the chermans could do it. :D
franko247g
Bronze Member

Heated windscreen

Post by franko247g »

+1 past few mornings I've been scraping away whilst my mrs laughs and drives off in her fiesta.
jimbo_tdi
Bronze Member

Re: Heated windscreen

Post by jimbo_tdi »

I don't know why they didn't, but from what I've seen the heating element leaves a fuzzy look to the windscreen and it can get quite annoying staining your eyes trying to look past the heating element. It would be nice to have though, I've been looking at the heatshot windsreen washer system, although I haven't had any problems as of yet with the windscreen washers freezing up (been 0 - minus 3 the past couple of days) it would be easier to defrost after work.
TehSniper
Bronze Member

Post by TehSniper »

i think its to do with ford owning the rights to it, has to be so many years before anyone else can use it i think
rover220
Gold Member

Post by rover220 »

Ford own the patent.
RITCHAT
Gold Member

Post by RITCHAT »

I had a ford mondeo v6 with the heated front windscreen and to be honest you got used to the thin wires and it made such a difference when the temperature went -10c and below I find the air con does a good job but still need to scrap all the other windows though
George H
Bronze Member

Post by George H »

TehSniper wrote:i think its to do with ford owning the rights to it, has to be so many years before anyone else can use it i think
Nope, my DB9 has one. My Merc SL had one before that too.
TehSniper
Bronze Member

Post by TehSniper »

Ford own the patent to the heated front screen; the ones with the thin wavy line elements running the full height of the screen. Other manufacturers, mainly Toyota and Lexus, but also some Mercedes' and BMW's, have "wiper heaters", which are lines along the bottom section of the glass, usually in the black band where the dash is.

Since Ford own the patent, up until recently only Fords and Ford affiliated cars, Aston Martins, Jaguars, etc, have had the heated screens in them. Recently tho, Ford have been licensing out the tech to other manufacturers; BMW Mini's have them aswel as VW Passats.
Eddie-gt
Bronze Member

Post by Eddie-gt »

VW can use the Heated screen in several models as they did a swop with Ford for Park Assist

Some Fords have a VW CAN gateway
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_y2Yifl1vjns/S ... eway19.jpg
benmkiv
Platinum Member

Heated windscreen

Post by benmkiv »

Mates Audi has the bottom heated like said above does the job good. That's a w reg too.