Camber adjustable top mounts

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
chewy_
Bronze Member

Camber adjustable top mounts

Post by chewy_ »

Anyone know where you can get camber adjustable top mounts or coilovers with camber adjustable top mounts for the 9n?

MY camber is all over after lowering and the car pulls to the left quite badly.
g__humm
Platinum Member

Re: Camber adjustable top mounts

Post by g__humm »

Get the tracking done. U get a small amout of camber on the two bottom bolts. Adjustable top mounts are very expensive. Kw do them at £200+ I believe.
Tracking will stop it pulling.
chewy_
Bronze Member

Post by chewy_ »

Tracking has been done but it still pulls. The print out shows the camber is out a lot more on one side than the other hence the pull. It pulled slightly when I bought it but since it's been lowered it's now worse. I'm guessing they've hit a curb and bent something before I bought it.

I've just read that apparently camber is adjustable as the standard top mount is offset, so just undo the 3 bolts, jack the front to unweight the suspension, stick your hand under and twist it round , you have 3 choices of camber setting?

Kw only fit KW coilovers. I've found a company in Australia (K-Mac) that do them for around £350 for that price I may as well get some D2 racing coilovers which are damper and camber adjustable.
mark03polo9n
New

Post by mark03polo9n »

you can adjust your camber slightly where your strut bolts to your wheel hub by loosing off the bolt and pushing the hub either up or down depending on whether or not you need more positive camber or more negative camber. baring in mind that there isnt to much movement there so if this isn't enough then as you said there is probably something bent and you should check further for damaged components rather than replacing parts for more adjustable ones which can cause more cost and time than you may need :D
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

The camber adjustment bolts are only applicable to 6N Polo and 6K Ibiza etc. The 9N Polo Fabia 1 and Ibiza 6L just have a clamping socket at the lower end of the damper/strut.

One way to sort the side to side difference is to move the lower subframe across the car to equalise the camber. To correct the camber without buy expensive adjustable top mounts, you would need to open up the holes in the TCAs where the lower swivels connect to the TCAs and fit thick washers or plates over the enlarged holes, then weld these plates to the TCAs to close the bolts back down again after sorting out the camber.

I've not needed to do this, but have read of others doing this mod.

As the original top mounts have three fixing holes, and they are not as far as I know eccentric, rotating them will have no useful effect. Now if these top mounts were eccentric, rotating them could improve camber and really mess up caster - think about it!