Red 1.6tdi, low and getting there

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
benjamin
Getting There!

Red 1.6tdi, low and getting there

Post by benjamin »

Hi everyone, after picking up my polo about a month ago I've spent a fair bit of time stalking the forum, and decided it was about time to register!

Fair to say, I'm really pleased with the car so far. Made a couple of subtle changes (bulbs, led plate lights, laminx fogs, debadge, pressed plates on the way), and they're are a few more tweaks planned for the new year.

I'll get some pics up when I've given it a good clean :)

I'd be keen to hear about anyone who's used pastidip? I'd like to do my grille and rear badge.

And anyone who's used the h and r 35/55 springs

Thanks,

Ben
Last edited by benjamin on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJ_7
Gold Member

Re: New member. 1.6tdi sel 3dr in red :)

Post by AJ_7 »

Hi mate,

Welcome to the forums! I believe a chap on here called Jacovdub has done a lot of work with covering various parts of his 6R in plastidip so you may want to do a search for his posts and you may find some more info :)

The changes you have made so far sound good, in terms of the H&R 35/55, a lot of people across multiple forums would say the 25/40 setup is probably the best way to go and personally I'd probably agree.
jakovdub
Silver Member

Post by jakovdub »

hey mate i used plastidip for my rear badge and front badge, here's some pics.... really easy to use, apply thin coats first and do about 5-6 coats! you get loads in a can so don't be scared to go a bit mad with it! The more you use the better protection you get! :) Also done red vinyl in the badge, and the front is my own custom design with a red strip... thought i would take a different approach instead of the GTI grill, thanks AJ for mentioning me :)

jimbo_tdi
Bronze Member

Post by jimbo_tdi »

Good to see another TDI member on here, get some pics up! You getting a remap done?
benjamin
Getting There!

Post by benjamin »

Thanks aj, i'm going to do some more research on the springs, I'd just like to go as low as possible without coils. I use the car for work everyday and don't want to sacrifice too much on the ride quality. I think i saw a gti on here with what I thought were the 35/55 springs, but I could be wrong.

The plastidip looks quality Jacob!! Really like the finish you've got on the badges. Has it lasted well? Or have you had to re do it at any point? And did you need to do any prep work? (sorry for all the questions :P ) but it's either plastidip or pay to have them sprayed properly along with kidney grilles and wheels.

Think I will go for a remap in the new year jimbo, awesome in Manchester are just over an hour away and I think they do the apr remap. Again I'd like to find out if anyone has had it done?

Forgot to mention I'm lucky enough to have got mine with the 17 inch boavista wheels, which I think I will go either matt or gloss black. I'm going to test fit some spacers soon as I don't plan on the changing the wheels any time soon, and like to get them sat a bit neater :)
jimbo_tdi
Bronze Member

Post by jimbo_tdi »

Nobodies done a remap to the 1.6 TDI as of yet, I've got a chip for my 1.2 TDI. Chip does pretty well IMO (touches wood) has eight settings and I keep in on setting 3. Car is much more drivable but there is still the humongous turbo lag that I hate! :( I've seen a red with gloss black Boavistas, looked the part!
Last edited by jimbo_tdi on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jakovdub
Silver Member

Post by jakovdub »

benjamin, It's lasted really well, not put anymore coats on still looks top notch! it's not as glossy as paint, gives a more matt effect and feels like rubber :) but i always use plastidip as it's quick, simple and just cheaper :) feel free to ask more questions bud :)
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

Boavista's are amazing alloys. I have them on my 1.2 TSi and I've looked into refurbishing them into either gloss black or a matt anthracite colour before. I've got real pictures of both of these. I used to prefer the black then swayed towards the anthracite.. but now i'm back onto wanting them black! Linky below:

http://www.uk-polos.net/view ... 80&start=0
benjamin
Getting There!

Post by benjamin »

Suppose I'll be the guinea pig on this forum for the 1.6tdi remap then! I'll be getting it done in the first few months of 2013. I've got more faith in the remap now it's with apr, as they'll have done all their own testing for it. And i've had a few tuned diesels with good reults and this will take it closer to my old bora and altea fr but with £30 road tax :)
jakovdub wrote:benjamin, It's lasted really well, not put anymore coats on still looks top notch! it's not as glossy as paint, gives a more matt effect and feels like rubber :) but i always use plastidip as it's quick, simple and just cheaper :) feel free to ask more questions bud :)
eBay - plastidip bought. :D cheers for the answers, I'll be giving that a go in the next week. Assuming the back badge is easy to take off?

Aj, thanks for the link. I'm still undecided on what colour to go for, gloss black always looks good IMO. But it might be nice to go matt. Problem is I want to tie all the other things to match eg, kidney grilles, badges and maybe roof. What colour is your 6r?
tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

8)
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

Out of interest, how is the 1.6 TDI without a remap fuel and performance wise? I'm guessing it's the 90PS version?

The Boavista wheels look awesome
AJ_7
Gold Member

Post by AJ_7 »

benjamin wrote:Aj, thanks for the link. I'm still undecided on what colour to go for, gloss black always looks good IMO. But it might be nice to go matt. Problem is I want to tie all the other things to match eg, kidney grilles, badges and maybe roof. What colour is your 6r?
It's Candy White mate. Personally i'm not a fan of matt black wheels, they look pretty cheap! If you plan on wrapping the roof, i'd definitely go for gloss.
benjamin
Getting There!

Post by benjamin »

vc-10 wrote:Out of interest, how is the 1.6 TDI without a remap fuel and performance wise? I'm guessing it's the 90PS version?

The Boavista wheels look awesome
Performance wise it's ok, it's slow compared to my car last car which was an seat altea fr tdi with PDF delete running about 210bhp. But i still manage to have a bit of fun on a good b road, so I've got no complaints. The only thing I miss is that 'punch' of power you get with the bigger engine diesels running in the 140bhp range, hence why I definitely will be having a remap.

Fuel wise it's great, most my driving is around town, and without really thinking to much about driving economically it reads around the mid 40's. On a good run, it'll easily get into the high 50's. I'm really pleased I opted for the 1.6 rather than 1.2 tdi, it feels smoother and less noisy and the pickup is actually quite good from 45mph to around 80.

Thanks, I'm really pleased I got boavistas, they make a huge difference on the looks front.

Think I am going to going to go for gloss black AJ, purely because I know I'll be pleased with it, whereas I might not like the matt. Just can't wait to have Xmas out the way so I can crack on! :)
benjamin
Getting There!

Post by benjamin »

Happy new year and all that stuff everyone.

Just a quick update really, I'm really starting to pick up some pace with my polo now on the mod front.

Bulbs all done including laminx front fogs.
Pressed plates on and done.
De badge done.
And thanks to the jacovdub inspiration from his badges, I'm going to have a play with the plastidip this Saturday morning :)
I'm also going to remove the rear wiper and plug the hole if I get time this weekend.

Fair to say, I'm really pleased with how it's looking.
Plus, I'm pretty sure I've secured some kw variant 1 coilovers, which I'll be collecting and fitting soon :D then there's a few other plans after that to come in time. But I really should put some pics on this thread, otherwise it's boring!

Now how do get pictures on here? Help please, I really am crap with computers.
benjamin
Getting There!

Post by benjamin »

Small update, finally got round some sorting some half decent pictures. Still not where I want it to be yet, but I have got some kw variant 1's waiting to be fitted this week, fingers crossed.

Hope you all like.