Does the 6R suffer battery drain issues ?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Norbreck21a
Silver Member

Does the 6R suffer battery drain issues ?

Post by Norbreck21a »

HI Guys, just a quick question please, does the 6R suffer from battery drain issues ?

The reason I ask, is that shortly after buying the wife her 1.4 SEL DSG in April 2011, I fitted a VW 9W7 bluetooth kit (which works perfectly with the car). It was the genuine kit with all harnesses and was plug and plug (just had to add it to the CAN Gateway in VCDS). At the same time I fitted the RCD-510 from my Scirocco (that we purchased at the same time), as I had the RNS-510 out of my old Golf to go in there. Well all works well and has been for some time now. However just before Christmas, she was away for a couple of weeks on a training course so her car was just left in the garage. When we came to start it just over two weeks later, the battery was totally flat. After a bit of a charge it started no problem, but it got me wondering if either the bluetooth kit or the RCD-510 is causing battery drain ? Pretty sure the lights were not left on or door slightly ajar etc ? It's the first time since getting the car that it's been left for so long.

I was also thinking of dropping an RNS-510 into the wife's SEL (mate of mine is selling his), but with the 6R not being 100% CAN-BUS, I was wondering if there is a definitive answer on whether the Polo 6R suffers from battery drain like the early MK5 Golf's ?

Thanks
doddy361
New

Re: Does the 6R suffer battery drain issues ?

Post by doddy361 »

With my polo (polo s a/c 1.2) I never really noticed anything until I fitted a sub and amp, after that I've had a few times it's died after having just the engine off but stereo on, only for about 5 minutes though, not long.
tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

Got a rns 510 in my 6r Gti and all is ok
New

Post by AvatarX »

There are some issues with the can gateway if you had RCD-210 installed before, which is for 2 speakers only. RCD 510 is designed for more speakers and there are some reports of drained battery.

I think the solution to this is to go to VW and talk to them so they re-configure the RCD 510 that there are only 2 speakers installed.
Norbreck21a
Silver Member

Post by Norbreck21a »

Thanks for the replies guys.

No the car came with the SEL audio package which was the RCD310 DAB/MP3 with 6 speakers as standard.
Eddie-gt
Bronze Member

Post by Eddie-gt »

you will have no issues

all newer 6R polos had 3rd GEN radios

so changing one to a different one will be fine