Polo 1.6 Sport (105), thoughts?

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
nooge
New

Re: Polo 1.6 Sport (105), thoughts?

Post by nooge »

As an owner of a 1.6 Sport I'm glad you went for it! I picked up a 2006 model with 24000 miles in May and love it! Mine was slightly modified by it's previous owner having a bluemotion front splitter, votex body kit and VW OEM 17" wheels put on it. The engine is very fizzy and loves to rev, and having test drove the 1.4 before getting mine I much prefer the slight power advantage. I can also achieve 44 MPG on a motorway journey so not really any complaints!
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Post by Lucaio »

nooge wrote:As an owner of a 1.6 Sport I'm glad you went for it! I picked up a 2006 model with 24000 miles in May and love it! Mine was slightly modified by it's previous owner having a bluemotion front splitter, votex body kit and VW OEM 17" wheels put on it. The engine is very fizzy and loves to rev, and having test drove the 1.4 before getting mine I much prefer the slight power advantage. I can also achieve 44 MPG on a motorway journey so not really any complaints!
Glad to hear all these positive responses about it!
I'm picking it up from the dealer on Monday, cannot wait, I feel like a kid at Christmas!
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Did the 1.6 replace the 100ps 1.4 16v unit that could be specced in the 9n?

Ash
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

K.I.T.T. wrote:Did the 1.6 replace the 100ps 1.4 16v unit that could be specced in the 9n? Ash

I'd guess so as Seat made more use of this engine than VW every did. I always think that it's quite a smart size/power of engine for a small car despite what car makers think, there are some people out there that like the idea of a slightly bigger and less stressed engine rather than going for the 1.8T. My wife's previous car was a Fiesta with a 90PS 1.6 Zetec engine in it, so it was fast enough, could return good MPG and was very drivable - ie did not need to get "gunned" to get/keep going. In reality, I'd see my wife's next Polo as a lower power 1.2TSI and that worries me, same power as older 1.6 weighing a bit more than a 1.6 and lot more things to go wrong as the miles pile up!

Also, in the early days at least, VW would not provide a 5 door with the 100PS engine.
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Post by Lucaio »

Another quick question (thought I would ask here instead of making a new thread).

If I were to lower it on springs say 30 or 40mm, will I need uprated shocks or will the standard shocks do? I understand uprated ones will give me better ride comfort, but if they are not needed I don't mind using standards as long as it doesn't completely ruin the comfort.
Also droplinks, I won't need new ones unless I go 50mm or lower, is that right?

EDIT: Have done some reading, apparently 30-40mm should be fine on standard shocks, but uprated shocks are recommended as the lower springs will reduce the life in the standard shocks. Anyone have an idea of how much the life of the shocks will be reduced by?
Also, H&R and the Eibach Sportlines seem to be the most popular spring kits to run on standard shocks. Anyone have any experience with either? Which ones would be the best choice (looking for best ride comfort really)?
Dom_
Silver Member

Post by Dom_ »

Hard to say how much life you will get out of them, it entirely depends how worn out the shocker is in the first place! I put some 35mm springs on my 6N2 Polo, both rear shockers looked fine so I just left them, but within a week one of them had gone!

I ran H&R springs on my last 9N3 and it rode fine, wasn't much different from standard at all :)
TommoT
New

Post by TommoT »

I have the same 1.6 sport in grey and with 16" wheels supposed to be standard? Only had it 3-4 months the mpg is quite good 41 ish im averaging but since the weather has got colder im only getting around 25-30
TommoT
New

Post by TommoT »

nooge wrote:As an owner of a 1.6 Sport I'm glad you went for it! I picked up a 2006 model with 24000 miles in May and love it! Mine was slightly modified by it's previous owner having a bluemotion front splitter, votex body kit and VW OEM 17" wheels put on it. The engine is very fizzy and loves to rev, and having test drove the 1.4 before getting mine I much prefer the slight power advantage. I can also achieve 44 MPG on a motorway journey so not really any complaints!
I also am an owner of the 1.6 sport and am completely frazzled as to how to remove the airbox as i cant for the life of me figure it out ?
nooge
New

Post by nooge »

Undo the metal clamp that holds on the induction pipe (can be tough -I used pliers) then you can just pull the actual airbox upwards and it will pop off rubber mounts and come out. It might be easier to undo the screws from the top of the box and take out the paper filter if you need something a bit easier to hold onto!
TommoT
New

Post by TommoT »

nooge wrote:Undo the metal clamp that holds on the induction pipe (can be tough -I used pliers) then you can just pull the actual airbox upwards and it will pop off rubber mounts and come out. It might be easier to undo the screws from the top of the box and take out the paper filter if you need something a bit easier to hold onto!
Cheers! Is it quite stiff, litteraly just yank it off ? And how easy is it to put back on ?
nooge
New

Post by nooge »

First time I yanked pretty hard, and was fairly difficult to get back on and I used lots of soapy water. But each time thereafter its been fairly easy on and off :) . Induction on the 1.6 sounds sweet though, with an almost vtec-like noise coming in after 4000 RPM :D (please don't hate on me for mentioning a jap term haha)
matt_123
Gold Member

Post by matt_123 »

sounds good dont it mate ;) with my bmc on it sounds exactly like vtec at and after 4k ... all the way to the redline. pure sucking noise from the outside some ive been told!!
nooge
New

Post by nooge »

Yeah there is a woosh sound approaching red line that sounds pretty good too! I do like how fizzy the 1.6 engine is, loves to rev haha
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Post by Lucaio »

I'm going to chuck a K&N 57i one on mine, are they any good?
nooge
New

Post by nooge »

Lucaio wrote:I'm going to chuck a K&N 57i one on mine, are they any good?
Yeah that's what I've used for 5 months with the results I posted above 8) .. I don't really like how it sits on top of the engine (bad for heat soak) but I've got two cold air feeds going to it from the front grille and it seems fine!