Anyone fitted an MFD sat nav unit

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
wildman_33
New

Post by wildman_33 »

Ive been looking at the MFD sat nav units on ebay as it would allow me to keep my Xcarlink ipod handsfree kit and thay look a lot better than the aftermarket solutions which do not match the dash at all. Are they easy to fit, as far as im aware they plug straight in, and a gps antenna is required and thats about it or is it more complicated than that.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Anyone fitted an MFD sat nav unit

Post by alexperkins »

That's pretty much it. As long as it comes with the code you are sorted.
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Post by Ben90 »

If you bought your Xcarlink kit to fir the stock RCD-200 stereo then I don't think it will fit the MFD unit. They sell seperate units, one for the RCD and the other for the Beta/Gamma and MFD units. Assuming you're going to get the MFD1 with the square-edged facia.

You could swap the plug on the Xcarlink kit since that may be the only difference. May be more trouble than it's worth though.

You'll also need the CD for the navigation to work, check that comes with it :)
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Mfd1 will have a yellow iPod connector. Rcd200 may be a quad lock
wildman_33
New

Post by wildman_33 »

My car is a 9N so the standard unit is the Gamma unit so my Xcarlink uses the old style cd changer input. And the ones im looking at have codes and ill probably get a 2012 disk so the nav is actually useful. SOme of the ones im looking at also come with a wiring harness for the mk4 golf which im assuming my polo will need.

Edit: And was the boot mounted Cd changer ever an option on the 9N as it was on some 6N2's and the boot mounted cd changers seem to come up fairly cheap its just whether the 9N has the mounting points for one. It would be a cool extra to have and my Xcarlink allows you to keep the CD changer (My TDi sport never had one as its an 02 plate)

Edit again: Just had a thought there must of been a boot mounted cd changer otherwise the people who got satnav wouldnt have been able to have cds, il have a look in my boot later as see it I can see where it mounts
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

MFD will have no problems using your xcarlink as they have the same connection
wildman_33
New

Post by wildman_33 »

I now have one on the way to me, it looks in pretty good condition although ill need to get an antenna, It also has an OEM iPod kit thrown in which I didnt even know VW ever made but ill probably sell it as I already have my XCarlink which I guess will offer more features. It also has a weird looking loom with a button on it and a gala connector which I guess my polo will need for it to work.
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

Iv got a mfd 1 waiting to go in. It's a fantastic mod to the car, just remember your CDs wont play in the sat nav slot on the unit so you will need to retro fit a cd changer under the passengers driver seat :)
wildman_33
New

Post by wildman_33 »

My one arrived the other day, Im amazed at how good condition its in, way better than my old gamma unit, got a load of wiring too not sure if i need all of it ill upload some pics at some point. Got my GPS antenna in the post so hopefully I can fit it when it warms up a bit, I never had a CD changer anyway as my car is an early 02 sport but I may find out where the CD changer for cars with the Sat nav goes and get one fitted I have a VW ipod kit and xcarlink anyway gonna get rid of the VW one.
wildman_33
New

Post by wildman_33 »

Got it fitted over the weekend, well impressed with it. The seller had told me he had lost the disk but it turned out it was in the disk drive all along, although i've since updated it to 2012-2013. The sound quality is a huge improvement over the Gamma unit that was in there before, it seems to run the rear speakers a lot better. Fitting it was easy enough, all plug and play although getting all the wires back in behind the dash was a bit of a faff especially with my XCarlink. Anyone else fitting it may need the plug and play harness with gives you the gala plug, my unit came with it as it had been fitted aftermarket in to the previous owners car.
mithunpure
New
Drives: 9n3

Post by mithunpure »

Hello guys!
Sorry to open a old tread however I could really do with some help now.
Has anyone successfully installed a MFD to their 9n3 polo?
I have fitted mine in but Sat-nav doesn't work as expected because the gps position is behind by at least 10 minutes.
I've fitted a Gala wire to the radio but I'm not sure if the car's got it too?
I'm confused.
Any help would be appreciated ! thank you