High mileage GT 130 buyers advice please

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
kimbo
New

High mileage GT 130 buyers advice please

Post by kimbo »

I've been offered a high mileage (180,000m) 2005 Polo GT 130bhp 3-door in Silver for around £1800.

Tatty dented bodywork, cambelt needs doing, service, heater not working, passenger door stuck, service history up to 2010. No invoices for any previous bills/work.

These cars in good condition seem to go for around £3500+ with 80,000 miles.

Mad purchase or worth investing some money in to get a rare model?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
RTP
New

Re: High mileage GT 130 buyers advice please

Post by RTP »

High milage cars are only worth buying if they have been very well looked after with full history and parts replaced with invoices to prove... If not it will need lot of work and money to get it to a usable reliable car.. Worn bushes,shocks,brakes, exhaust, new cambelt, servicing etc etc.. Always look for condition/well loved rather than milage/price IMO
TomG
Bronze Member

Post by TomG »

^ I Agree with this. To be fair tho, at £1800 it might be worth a punt for what you get! Why is he selling? at that price surely he might as well keep it?
wildman_33
New

Post by wildman_33 »

If you can, id take it for a drive, that way you can see how well it drives and listen for any knocks or squeaks. If the bodywork isnt beyond fixing its not bad for the price and Id consider it, especially if you know the seller.

I bought mine with low mileage and a full service history and ive still had to replace all the bushes, the clutch and my heater has a mind of its own (V68 motor simple but fiddly fix) so low mileage with a good history isnt always best.
kimbo
New

Post by kimbo »

Thanks all, I'll tread carefully. I'll go have a look but I have a feeling it's been neglected and with that mileage, used as a taxi!

Maybe worth less?
RITCHAT
Gold Member

Post by RITCHAT »

I would check that the underside of the car is good as well as the running gear. Just because its got 180000 on her doesn't mean she is dead in the wood. I would get the price reduced some what as you will need to get a new timing belt and water pump fitted. Do you know what oil has been put in it. If it has been treated to good quality fully synthetic oil at regular intervals then it should be fine. I wouldn't pay more than 1200 sheets for this especially if you have to tidy up the body work. If you are looking for a car I have a 9n 1.4tdi twist 3dr in mercato blue on a 54 plate 2005 113300 miles 1 owner from new up for grabs. It has full 9n3 spec running gear brakes supsension. full gti interior including gear knob and handbrake. Gtis rear box and rear skirt. 16" Contour alloys with new tyres all road, I have the gti monza alloys that I put on during the summer as well. It will have a full years mot on her come Monday when it goes in and has just had new discs and pads at the rear and new track rod ends both sides at the front and new bushes fitted . I am looking for £2500 ono.
kimbo
New

Post by kimbo »

Thanks for the reply. The heart was ruling the head on this one as I haven't seen a 130 for sale for under £3500. Latest news is the windscreen is cracked, the brake light is on, etc etc. I'll give it a miss. It sounds a dog.Thanks for the offer but I was looking for a 130 as they are rare beasts and probably go like stink.
RTP
New

Post by RTP »

1.9 tdi sports are quick when mapped.. Ours is 140bhp :wink:
kimbo
New

Post by kimbo »

...but mapping a 130 would give you 170bhp. That's what I was after.
RTP
New

Post by RTP »

You should look at the Fabia vrs.. More about
RITCHAT
Gold Member

Post by RITCHAT »

If you are looking at the car the windscreen isn't a major issue the brake light is as it is likely to be water ingress from the brake wear indicator a common problem on all polo's and if left unattended as I did you will end up with an abs fault as well. This result in me having to replace the wiring loom for the abs and brake wear indicator which was a pain in the tail job.

Regards mapping any car you get please ensure everything is in tip top shape as if it isn't it will quickly rear it's ugly head and usually expensive to rectify. Enjoy the hunt for a decent one. I will keep my eyes open up here if there are any. I assume it's the 3dr version you are looking for.
RITCHAT
Gold Member

Post by RITCHAT »

Have you got a link for this car just to see what it is like?
kimbo
New

Post by kimbo »

RITCHAT wrote:Enjoy the hunt for a decent one. I will keep my eyes open up here if there are any. I assume it's the 3dr version you are looking for.
Thanks. Prefer 5-door, must be 130 bhp version. Up to £2500.