100bhp Polo - My First Car

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
MJS_93
Getting There!

Post by MJS_93 »

I thought I would start a new thread as the pictures on my first thread have disappeared as I was playing around on Photobucket and moved all my images into different folders which seems to have affected my original thread.

This is my X reg 1.4 16V 100bhp (AUB) Polo I brought for £1250 with 88K on the clock. It is in excellent condition for the age and I am very happy with the car as it comes with a lot of features such as electric windows, alloys, fogs, air con, four disc brakes as standard.

This is how it started out, although I haven't done anything major since.

What I Have Done to the Car Since

August

The first thing that was needed was replacing the clutch as it was becoming hard to change gear. I took it to Mr Clutch where they replaced it for £269.93 which is a reasonable price.

I then noticed that two tyres were barely legal so I decided it would be a good idea to get them changed. I took it to F1 Autocentres and chose Marshall tyres as the are the top end of the budgets and I haven't got much money at the moment being a student. Replacing two tyres cost me £112.10 and I am hoping to replace the other two before it's M.O.T in May.

September

The car was due a cambelt changed so I went to my local VW Dealership and they quoted £300+ :shock:. I then went to a few garages and was able to find a place that replaced it for £193.46 for isn't bad considering it's twin cam.

I changed the rubber around the aerial as the old one was corroded and looked terrible. I brought a new one from Car-Masts-UK. Although it is only a small detail it definitely makes a difference.

I went to my local car breaker's and picked up a nice gear knob insert in a brilliant condition to replace the old one which was worn out and chipped. It only cost 50p :D which is a bargain as does make quite a big difference to the inside of the car as it looks so shiny and new. I did try to get a new one before I went to the breakers so I went to VW first to see if they sold them but they told me I would need to buy the whole gear knob for £40 :shock:. Thinking it couldn't get any worse I then tried Ebay where people were trying to sell just the insert for prices ranging between £10-£20 :shock: which is a ridiculous price for something not much bigger than a £2 coin.

I had to fix the glovebox as it wouldn’t open. It turned out that a piece of plastic had snapped off the opening mechanism so I followed instructions and broke the handle off so I could take the mechanism out. I then ordered a new one from VW for roughly £16 and fitted it within seconds.

October

I had to change the door lock barrel for the drivers side as it would only allow the tip of the key in and wouldn't turn. After using the passenger side to lock/open the car for the weekend while I worked I took it to VW and they said someone had tried to break into it by sticking a screwdriver in the lock and damaged the barrel meaning I had to pay £83.52 to get it fixed :x.

I added Carbon Fibre badge inserts to the rear badge that I brought from Hotwire Graphics for £4.49. I didn't fancy painting the whole badge black as I think it looks better chrome especially with the carbon fibre inserts which make a massive difference as it hides the hideous weathered plastic.

November

When I brought the car the driver's side fog light had cracked meaning it would occasionally fill up with water so I ordered a new one from Magnum Vehicle Solutions for a total of £29.05; this was after going to VW where they wanted almost £80.

I fitted my Audi TT pedals and I'm very pleased with the way they look.

I have changed the front brake discs & pads as they were in a terrible condition. Only replaced like for like as the brakes are quite good on it due to it being the 1.4 16v 100bhp model although they were quite expensive to replace. Can't moan about it though as brakes are essential; especially as I do drive quite fast occasionally.

December

Due to the cold weather moisture had got into the HT ignition leads causing one to spark so I decided to replaced them all. I went for some relatively cheap ones at £40 as they do the same job as expensive ones.

I added a carbon fibre badge insert for the steering wheel that I brought from Hotwire Graphics for £3.49. I think it looks good and adds a bit of sportiness to the wheel.

I purchased a 9n footrest from Creations Motorsport. It looks quality and adds a bit of class and sportiness to the foot well as it compliments the Audi TT pedals. Only took ten minutes to do but changes the inside so much.

January

I received some new tailored mats for Christmas as the original ones were looking worse for wear. I also got two aluminium plates to go on them, which look really good. I am still yet to put them in the car as I'm waiting for the weather to improve :roll:.

Future Plans

• I am considering buying a GTi grill but instead of the GTi badge I am thinking of a 16V badge; I think this will work well as I have the 100bhp version which is supposed to have the 16V badges on it so it will suit the car. However I can't make my mind up as I’m not sure the GTi grill goes well with reflex silver. What do you think :?:
Last edited by MJS_93 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piers0930
Bronze Member

Re: 100bhp Polo - My First Car

Post by Piers0930 »

looks good mate, yeah go fo it, spray all the grills silver? i seen it done before and it looks pretty nice, i cant find a bloody photo! :L

Audi TT Pedels what did you buy? Price please
MJS_93
Getting There!

Post by MJS_93 »

Piers0930 wrote:looks good mate, yeah go fo it, spray all the grills silver? i seen it done before and it looks pretty nice, i cant find a bloody photo! :L

Audi TT Pedels what did you buy? Price please
I think I've seen the picture your thinking about but I'm not sure about the idea of spraying them silver. I think I will wait until the snow has cleared and take a few clear pictures and use Photoshop to see what it will look like.

The Audi TT pedals were £46.66 from Audi. I ordered right hand drive clutch and brake pedal but a left hand drive accelerator pedal as it is easier to fit and to be honest it looks better than the right hand drive pedal as it is bigger and looks more rectangular. I would also recommend getting a Polo 9n footrest cover from Creations Motorsport as it matches the pedals.

By the way I'm the person that has been commenting on Youtube video about weird noise coming from your engine.
Piers0930
Bronze Member

Post by Piers0930 »

hahahahah Hello you ;)
MJS_93
Getting There!

Post by MJS_93 »

Last month I had a problem with my ABS. The light would come on intermittently so I scanned it with VCDS Light and it came up with the following.

1 Fault Found:
01276 - ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64)
16-10 - Signal Outside Specifications - Intermittent

I ignored it for roughly a week until it started to come on almost every time I drove it so I decided to take it to a garage where they scanned it and said it was the ABS hydraulic pump/module. However they changed the fuses and connectors on top of the battery and it seems to have fixed the problem..... for now at least. If the light comes on again at least I know that it is likely to be the hydraulic pump/module I will need to change and I will probably pick one up from the breakers or ebay
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

The module needs the solder joints repaired like I did recently
alanjwong
Bronze Member
Drives: 2001 VW Polo 6N2 1.4 16v 100BHP

Post by alanjwong »

Its good to see another 100bhp 6n2!! Thats how mine started out as and have made some major changes to mine over the years since owning it. They are great cars, really cheap on insurance and running costs low. As well as really cool looking.
MJS_93
Getting There!

Post by MJS_93 »

alanjwong wrote:Its good to see another 100bhp 6n2!! Thats how mine started out as and have made some major changes to mine over the years since owning it. They are great cars, really cheap on insurance and running costs low. As well as really cool looking.
I think it's a fantastic car especially as it's my first. A lot of people look at it and think it's slow because it's just a Polo but it's quite quick in terms of speed and acceleration due to it being small and having 100bhp. I think that the exterior and interior look quite modern considering it's almost 13 years old and I prefer the 100bhp interior to the GTi one as the seats are the same but just without the red number 1 and arrows on it.