Are You Using Oil?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
JCT 1991
Bronze Member

Re: Are You Using Oil?

Post by JCT 1991 »

cars just been in and had the breather mod ! have been asked to come in after 1000 miles or when the oil light comes on !
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

foggy69 wrote:It has now been confirmed by VW that my car is using too much oil after a 600 mile oil consumption test.
It had the updated piston rings, oil breather pipe and software update so I am now waiting to hear from them about where we go from here :(
New engine mate is the only other course of action. Mine was exactly in the same situation as yours.
foggy69
Getting There!

Re: Re: Are You Using Oil?

Post by foggy69 »

JCT 1991 wrote:cars just been in and had the breather mod ! have been asked to come in after 1000 miles or when the oil light comes on !
Of all the cars my dealer said they had done, mine was the only one this mod hadn't worked on. I suppose I should have asked how many they had done as the GTI is as rare as rocking horse poo around these parts. :roll:

Fingers crossed that it works on yours
skipster wrote:
foggy69 wrote:It has now been confirmed by VW that my car is using too much oil after a 600 mile oil consumption test.
It had the updated piston rings, oil breather pipe and software update so I am now waiting to hear from them about where we go from here :(
New engine mate is the only other course of action. Mine was exactly in the same situation as yours.
I don't see anything else they can do at the moment, but I am not sure I want the bunch of muppets at the dealer putting in a new engine.
They have been blitheringly incompetent about everything else they have done on the car. :mad:
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

Yes - I assume your engine is the early CAVE241 spec (MY2011), I had the new rings and breather mod (a year apart) but neither worked.

Touch wood, my new engine seems to be ok, no oil top ups reqd so far, but as you say, I would perhaps try and seek out an alternative dealer if you don't have confidence in your current one.
tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

Well it's back with Vw for its new engine
JCT 1991
Bronze Member

Post by JCT 1991 »

How long did it take for them to organise the new engine to come ? And how long are they keeping it in for to transplant ?
tt509
Gold Member

Post by tt509 »

JCT 1991 wrote:How long did it take for them to organise the new engine to come ? And how long are they keeping it in for to transplant ?
they only had it for 2 day mate to put the the new engine in and a week from when it went in just so i they had a car for me why mine was in
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

Mine was in for a week (Mon-Fri), new engine only took less than 2 weeks for it to be delivered to dealer.
JCT 1991
Bronze Member

Post by JCT 1991 »

Sound reasonably quick ! Well they're starting to admit issues now which is brilliant !
foggy69
Getting There!

Post by foggy69 »

VW are going back to a cheaper fix if a phone call I have just had from my dealer is to believed.
Another breather pipe and another software update is the latest bulletin they have been advised of. :-x
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

foggy69 wrote:VW are going back to a cheaper fix if a phone call I have just had from my dealer is to believed.
Another breather pipe and another software update is the latest bulletin they have been advised of. :-x
I don't think this is necessarily true. I think the dealer is referring to the CTHE engine (the latest on the GTI) which has had a revised breather pipe issued. I think the rules are the same as regards the older 'CAVE' spec engine, if it is faulty and burning too much oil, they should replace it. The breather pipe/software mod simply does not appear to work on those engines.
foggy69
Getting There!

Post by foggy69 »

skipster wrote:
foggy69 wrote:VW are going back to a cheaper fix if a phone call I have just had from my dealer is to believed.
I don't think this is necessarily true. I think the dealer is referring to the CTHE engine (the latest on the GTI) which has had a revised breather pipe issued. I think the rules are the same as regards the older 'CAVE' spec engine, if it is faulty and burning too much oil, they should replace it. The breather pipe/software mod simply does not appear to work on those engines.
Knowing how useless my dealer is, I wouldn't be surprised.
But after speaking with the dealer service manager, I was told that VW think that another breather pipe needs modification on my CAVE engine, but it sounds like they are not completely confident this will work as they want me to do another oil consumption test after the mod.
It feels like I am the guinea pig for the third time.

I am now waiting to hear from VW about the matter.
kawabanga
Getting There!

Post by kawabanga »

foggy69 wrote: It feels like I am the guinea pig for the third time.
You are right, in this story what is more incredible is that a brand like VW is using customers like guinea pigs after more than three years since the oil problem has surfaced the first time with Ibiza... :!:
I would expect that from Fiat for example, not from the European #1 car manufacturer... :roll:
Stiggy
Getting There!

Post by Stiggy »

I had a very informative conversation with the Service Manager at my local VW dealer. If you have an oil consumption issue this is what you have to do:
  • Tell the garage you have a problem with high oil consumption
    Take the car in while the oil warning light is on
    Ask them to weigh the oil when they fill it up
    They will give you a certain number of miles you have to drive before returning when they empty the oil and re-weigh it
    The current 'fix' is the oil breather pipe and new software
    Repeat from step 1
    If things haven't improved a new engine may be requested
Personally, I can't be bothered with all this as I do less than 5000 miles a year. I'm going to sell/trade the car before the warranty is up and let the next owner sort it out.

Now I need to decided on my next car: Golf VII or Audi A3...
foggy69
Getting There!

Post by foggy69 »

I spoke to customer services at VW, and got somebody who couldn't have given a monkeys. He refused to give me any information about the technical bulletins on the problems and denied VW were fitting new engines.

I have spoken to the dealer again, who did let slip that engines had been authorised, but the very latest advise is a new pipe and a 60 mile oil consumption test to see if it works.

So I am a VW guinea pig, costing me time and inconvenience, and VW don't give a ****. Roll on the time when I can change my car and I never have to deal with a VAG car ever again :x