gearbox problem

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
g__humm
Platinum Member

gearbox problem

Post by g__humm »

My mate has just phoned saying he has lost his gears. i have been along and had a look the gear seletor works. he said he wasw going for 5th then it just lost drive.
its as if the clutch is not releasing. anyone had this problem? or any ideas what could be wrong?

thanks replies will be appreciated.
88rsr
Silver Member

Re: gearbox problem

Post by 88rsr »

Can the pedal still be pumped? Not sure if these run a slave cylinder that operates a release arm or a concentric slave. Check the brake fluid resevoir or for any brake fluid under the car.
Just to throw a couple of suggestions in there.

Have you ever driven a car without a clutch? (ie in the case of a hydraulic failure or snapped clutch cable on something older) You can sort of force it towards the gear and rev it steadily and eventually it would pop in and set of with a bit of a jerk. (this rules out the gearbox itself) :?

Hope you find out
g__humm
Platinum Member

Post by g__humm »

pedal still works inside the cabin. its as if your constanly pushing the clucth as you can selet all gears without press the clutch pedal. i am thinking its a clutch problem.
88rsr
Silver Member

Post by 88rsr »

Strange one that mate. Wonder if the disc has siezed onto the splines or something so its held on.