Picture request - FK Angel eyes + few light related Q's!

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Jay1991
New

Picture request - FK Angel eyes + few light related Q's!

Post by Jay1991 »

Hi, thinking of ordering a pair for the polo, just wondering if anyone can upload a picture of them from inside the cockpit! It even better still a video! I've looked around a fair bit but can't seem to find any of the actual beam. Also if you could say wether they're 35 or 55w hid's.

I've got 6k 35w's in at the mo from fleebay they're 100% blue despite everywhere saying 6k's were brilliant white. Anyone found this true aswell or do you think it's the fact their eBay lamps?

One other thing not sure if anyone has seen this but, was driving home the other night and was flashed by a big fancy merc, not sure on the model but ovbiously had hid projecotor dipped beams but it also had them for hi beams, or at least it seemed. They were instantly at full power (no warm up) and bright as hid's so was this some sort of cool white ultra brifht halogen lamp or have they perfected a hid lamp? I'm pretty certain I've seen them on new adios aswell?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Picture request - FK Angel eyes + few light related Q's!

Post by RUM4MO »

I thought that "we" were still stuck with a supplimentary halogen lamp for flashing, or a shutter on the already "lit" dipped beam being lifted to give full beam. Like you said, HIDs are not fast and don't like flashing.

Not that it help at all, but in the pre-launch blurb, VW did state that "the car being shown" did have HIDs as an option - they lied!!
Jay1991
New

Post by Jay1991 »

Bi-xenons!! Yeah I found these when I done some more searching, wish someone made an aftermarket one for the polo! Aparantly these new mercs are going to led's now. Not sure how they'd get the power out of them but that's what this 'mechanic' told me. I'm skeptical.
Ladiesman_317
Bronze Member

Post by Ladiesman_317 »

Im sure I did mention this before, but the light output through fk angel eyes are absolutely dire! maybe even go as far as saying they are dangerous. My driving is mainly at night, and I have to drive around everywhere (apart from in town) with high beams on. And before I get burned, I turn them off when I see an oncoming car. If you still want I can upload a couple of pictures later, but if anything it will just put you off lol
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

Jay1991 wrote:One other thing not sure if anyone has seen this but, was driving home the other night and was flashed by a big fancy merc, not sure on the model but ovbiously had hid projecotor dipped beams but it also had them for hi beams, or at least it seemed. They were instantly at full power (no warm up) and bright as hid's so was this some sort of cool white ultra brifht halogen lamp or have they perfected a hid lamp? I'm pretty certain I've seen them on new adios aswell?
Yes, they usually have a single bulb for both dipped and main beam. The difference is that, on dipped beam, the light is angled towards the road as usual, but when high beam is turned on, the alignment is raised so that it points straight out. We can't do that as it needs the automatic alignment kit that's standard on cars with factory xenons.
Ladiesman_317
Bronze Member

Post by Ladiesman_317 »

Light output using Mtec Cosmos blue. In other words, awful.

What they look like in the daytime.
Jay1991
New

Post by Jay1991 »

Nice I like the chrome ones! I opted for black there being shopped as we speak. Think the black ones might look a bit chavy but I didn't really think it through. Are you using hid's in that then? I only got then so I had projectors lights couldn't care less about the angel eye but, might even cut them out. Surely the light output can't be worse then standard headlamps ? I did see your post before but couldn't find it again when I posted this. Didnt a few other people say there output was fine ?

And dam I want these bi-xenon's so bad! Hate my hi beams. Is there any cool white halogen lamps around?
Jay1991
New

Post by Jay1991 »

Ps. Loving your wheels! I'm looking for a set myself! They're the montreal 2's right? What tire size you got on them aswell?
Ladiesman_317
Bronze Member

Post by Ladiesman_317 »

Jay1991 wrote:Ps. Loving your wheels! I'm looking for a set myself! They're the montreal 2's right? What tire size you got on them aswell?
Ummm, well a few of my friends have aftermarket projectors on their cars, (not polos) and they have said the same thing regarding light output, due to having projectors they have suggested HID's, but again I'm not 100% sure that will fix the problem, but I think I might give it a go, whats the worst that could happen, eh?
I was also gonna opt for the black ones, but as odd as this sounds, I thought the chrome ones would look more OEM, so i took the gamble, and yeah they look so much better!
The wheels are 16" Montreal 2's, Currently I've got 195/45 on, but I bought them about 2 years ago, hadnt done any research on tyres and just wanted some low profile tyres lol. If i were to buy tyres again, I would opt for 205/40.
Jay1991
New

Post by Jay1991 »

Im new to all this but I am fairly certain hid's are a must! I've got them on my standard lamps atm they're so much brighter then before. I opted for 6000k ones as everywhere showed them being whitest white, but they're turned out quite badly blue! 5000k's waiting to go in the projectors when they arrive. What've you done about the led angel eye ? You kept it / changed the LEDs or anything ? Not sure i like angel eyes on anything other then a BMW. I've been trying to find a set of those montreal 2's for a while now. Not much out there. Think they look so sick and well oem. And as for tyres I'm 100% clueless lol. First car and she hasn't needed a shoe change yet! Plus she's on steels for the minute :(.

Oh and as for the light output.. Think Im gonna put in some fog lights into the lower grill and either put low powered lamps I'm or if I can get them to fit More projectors and just wire them into the dipped beam :)
Ladiesman_317
Bronze Member

Post by Ladiesman_317 »

Jay1991 wrote:Im new to all this but I am fairly certain hid's are a must! I've got them on my standard lamps atm they're so much brighter then before. I opted for 6000k ones as everywhere showed them being whitest white, but they're turned out quite badly blue! 5000k's waiting to go in the projectors when they arrive. What've you done about the led angel eye ? You kept it / changed the LEDs or anything ? Not sure i like angel eyes on anything other then a BMW. I've been trying to find a set of those montreal 2's for a while now. Not much out there. Think they look so sick and well oem. And as for tyres I'm 100% clueless lol. First car and she hasn't needed a shoe change yet! Plus she's on steels for the minute :(.

Oh and as for the light output.. Think Im gonna put in some fog lights into the lower grill and either put low powered lamps I'm or if I can get them to fit More projectors and just wire them into the dipped beam :)
Well, 4k is OEM spec, what you'll find on bmw's audis and whatnot. Cant go wrong with 4k tbh. Could take the risk with 5k, they definately wont be blue though. In regards to the angel eyes, when i got them fitted, I didnt really know what to say or do, as i have never come across this sort of led bulb and they looked SO ghey (because they werent the usual white colour you would expect from that sort of led bulb, rather more yellowish in colour) ! lol. But now, i guess ive got used to them and it doesn't really bother me tbh. On second thoughts... I would say, the angel eyes look so sh** that perhaps look somewhat OEM? or maybe thats just me...
Jay1991
New

Post by Jay1991 »

Pwhaha! So s**t that they look oem..
Love it! Oh I tried pushing the boat out and googles what hid's are the whitest without any blue, and seemed to find everywhere that 6k was the one. Even photos of all CPUs hid's together showed 6k to be the whitest. But then I fitted them and they were blue as! I took a photo and they came out perfect white so that's gotta explain that one.

But yeah I think ill change the angel eyes get them matching colour! Just need some new wheels now!
88rsr
Silver Member

Post by 88rsr »

Not sure what the deal is but theres nothing wrong with the light output on the missus' Polo with halos in... they might be depo to be fair but I imagine theyre all made in the same factory as they look identical to the FK halos. I do have a HID kit in them too. And finally I took the bulbs out of the ring and replaced the ones in the strip underneath with LEDs. To be fair though the only reason I run these lights is I wanted projectors in so I could run HID's with a nice beam cutoff so that I (well "we" as I drive the car quite often) dont dazzle other road users, I do have a spare set of standard lamps and some projector units but havent got round to grafting a set up yet.
I'll try and remember at the weekend to get a pic of the output from inside the car but it is pretty good
88rsr
Silver Member

Post by 88rsr »

As for yours Ladiesman there is seriously something amiss there mate that looks dismal on the pic, The sidelights light up brighter than that on our lasses car :shock:
g__humm
Platinum Member

Post by g__humm »

had these on my polo (now my ladies) with hids and the light is much better than the image when i can next i could take a picture of the lights