Failed Gearbox, what to do with the car?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
Chazaxl
New

Failed Gearbox, what to do with the car?

Post by Chazaxl »

So, we knew my wife's black 2001 Polo wasnt great - the gearbox was a bit noisy and then it got worse.

I drained the oil, some metal filings - after the flush, cant even get the gearbox out of Neutral - so its stuffed.

So, it looks like its time to get her something nice - ive bought her something new and on lease ....

So, do I fix the car and sell it or sell it as is?

The car is is in reasonable nick, wheels are original and usual paint issues. The bodywork has 2 nasty scratches and also a few typical shopping dings.

Two new Eagle F1 tyres in front - the rears are OK. The rear shocks need replacement. Car has recent MOT and the engine is sweet.

Thoughts?

Ive been told there are 2 versions of the gearbox - different 'system' for where the linkages mount - is this correct? Seems pricing is between £100-200 for a box. How difficult is it to change - seems reasonably straight forward.

Thanks
Endi_GTI
Gold Member

Re: Failed Gearbox, what to do with the car?

Post by Endi_GTI »

If you are reasonably mechanically minded im sure you can swap the box over. Although if you can also be bothered these cars are worth quite a bit in parts. It is a shame to break them as there are so few but it is an option.

I would try and source a cheap second hand box and then sell it as a whole 8)
Chazaxl
New

Post by Chazaxl »

Thanks - my other issue is time - both in terms of fixing and/or breaking.

Any ideas on the claimed 2 variants of gearboxes?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

All 6N2 models should be cable shift linkage

The GTI has a specific gearbox as it has EDL

The code for a GTI gearbox is (from memory) ETG

A rebuild will cost around £400, and a ready built one can be picked up for a little more

As for swapping the gearboxes its by no means a small task. Its a good 5 hours or so of work as some of the bolts are a ballache to get to undo and refit later on.
Chazaxl
New

Post by Chazaxl »

Thanks - what is EDL?

So there is only 1 variant? And its a ballache to install ....

Might sell as is or break the car then - tending towards the first. Any idea of a reasonable price 'as is'?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Edl is electronic differential lock

Yes and yes

Probably 1500ish
Chazaxl
New

Post by Chazaxl »

1500 you say? Id take that very quickly - I dont have time to fuss with the car at the moment and even as a track day toy - it would needs to be fixed ....

So, can I, with my post count / status advertise it here on this forum or should I stick it on fleabay / elsewhere?
Chazaxl
New

Post by Chazaxl »

Well, have stuck it up here:-

http://www.uk-polos.net/view ... 65#p462865

Whilst I have a soft spot for VAG products and the GTI, I would be happy if someone else would give it some time and attention.
Endi_GTI
Gold Member

Post by Endi_GTI »

£1500! The price of GTI' has hit rock bottom i'm afraid. I would say with the problem + considering you would have to get it somewhere, you would be struggling to get £1000. Of course depending if the mileage is really low???

Such a shame as these are great cars. I am sure they will increase one day though as they are becoming more of a rarity 8)
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

I meant 1100ish lol
Chazaxl
New

Post by Chazaxl »

Ah ok - Id take £1500 in a heartbeat.

The miles are 130ish, Ill add that to the advert - not that miles is that important (in my opinion) but yes, its not a 40K mile car.
V Bachetta
Getting There!

Post by V Bachetta »

I think thats allot of money to be asking for a car that needs a new or recon gearbox. My reason for saying this is becuase i bought a Polo 6n2 GTi last summer, it had 111K on the clocks, full service history and a folder full of reciepts from TPS meaning only genuine parts have been used on the car throughout its life so far. It also came with a BMC induction kit (which i sold as i hated it) unmarked interior with no wear on the seats in terms of split stitching or bolster wear. The deal was done at £1500, that was with a fresh 12 month MOT!
Chazaxl
New

Post by Chazaxl »

That's why I was asking for a guideprice - not trying to rip anyone off .... will reduce it accordingly - now £750.
V Bachetta
Getting There!

Post by V Bachetta »

Chazaxl wrote:That's why I was asking for a guideprice - not trying to rip anyone off .... will reduce it accordingly - now £750.
No offense intended with my last post, but i think thats a fairly decent if not excellent price as its shown you have taken into consideration the repair bill for the box ect.
Chazaxl
New

Post by Chazaxl »

V Bachetta wrote:
Chazaxl wrote:That's why I was asking for a guideprice - not trying to rip anyone off .... will reduce it accordingly - now £750.
No offense intended with my last post, but i think thats a fairly decent if not excellent price as its shown you have taken into consideration the repair bill for the box ect.
No offence taken. Car is provisionally sold, should be collected this weekend.