1.2 TSI + DSG

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
pz1811
New

1.2 TSI + DSG

Post by pz1811 »

Hello ! My first post here so sorry if this topic's already been covered.

I'm looking to buy a new VW Polo 6R with the 1.2 Tsi (105 bhp) and the 7speed DSG (DQ200).
I love the looks of the car and the way it drives and feels, a perfect city car for me with the ever growing traffic.

However, I have a few doubts about the reliability of the DQ200 box. In India and China the failure of the DQ200 on the 1.8 Tsi superb is just horrendous. Obviously the situation is better from 2012 onwards with VW offering a software update .. but I still have my doubts.

Logic suggests that since the 1.8 tsi puts out 250nm which is the limit of the of the 7 speed dsg should not be an issue on the 1.2 tsi which is well below the torque limit @175nm

would like to know how common are the failures for the 1.2 tsi with the dsg ??

Would also appreciate any inputs regarding other things I should be aware of ?

thanks ..!
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Re: 1.2 TSI + DSG

Post by vc-10 »

We don't get the 1.2 TSI with the DSG box in the UK, it's only on the 1.4 engines (all 3 of them). I think Australia gets the 1.2 TSI with DSG, maybe try asking over on VWWatercooled?
NMavs
Gold Member

Post by NMavs »

Welcome mate. I have the 6R GTI, just over 2 years old now. First couple of months had many issues with the box kicking itself into limp mode and engaging neutral. But eventually VW Germany connected into the ecu and changed some of the programming, and (touch wood) never experienced any problems since. Love how much fun it is to drive, but I will be honest, its not the nicest thing in slow moving traffic as the gearbox loves to throw itself into first when it can quite easily drive in second. Also, the limit of the 7 Speed DSG is actually 350Nm. :D
pz1811
New

Post by pz1811 »

Thanks for the replies guys ....
Will check out VWwatercooled

@NMavs good to know the problems have been sorted for you, the failure rate of the mechatronics on the 1.8 tsi Superb with the 7 speed DSG here is just too bad. Have heard about cases wherein the dsg failed after just 500kms.
Generally how is the reliability of the 1.4 Tsi with the dsg in the UK ? Since it's being offered with the 1.4 Tsi on the GTi making 180 ps, I dont think I should be so paranoid about my 1.2 :lol: !

P.S. - Wiki has listed the dq200 7 speed dsg as having 250Nm .. ( link -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox)
NMavs
Gold Member

Post by NMavs »

Unless the dsg box thy put in the 1.2 tsi is different, which i very much doubt, the limit is deffinatly 350Nm. My gti is running 215bhp and 292Nm. So that would be my box ****! Haha :D
b0rk
New

Post by b0rk »

NMavs wrote:Also, the limit of the 7 Speed DSG is actually 350Nm. :D
Well actually the 7 speed box is limited/designed for 250Nm of torque. It's the 6 speed wet clutch box that's limited to 350Nm. This is why Golf GTI's, R's etc all get the 6 speed box not the cheaper 7 speed. The "limit" is actually a figure VW designed and specified the components to be reliable up to for the intended life.
DSG for the “small” high-volume engines
• The new 7-speed DSG makes the revolutionary transmission technology available for smaller engines too, engines that develop up to 250 Newton-meter torque. The 7-speed DSG will be initially introduced on the Golf, Golf Variant and Golf Plus – paired with the latest TSI (90 kW / 122 PS) and the bestselling TDI (77 kW / 105 PS) of the model series.clicky
It's common practice for maps to exceed the design limits of the box without major problems but you are ultimately shortening the life... and I've a stage rocco R dsg that's pushing 420Nm...
pz1811
New

Post by pz1811 »

Haha ..! Those are super figures for a Polo.

Did you have the dsg mapped too ? Or is it just running the standard map ?

Also any pointers/ do's and don't s for the DSG ?
gavs
Silver Member

1.2 TSI + DSG

Post by gavs »

The official limit is 250Nm, you are correct however tuners have been able to extract a safe and useable 350Nm out o the dq200 but generally a dsg tune is also required, otherwise the failure-riddled clutch packs will torch themselves far quicker.

The issues you talk about plague the warmer climates, hence the issues in India, china, USA and Australia etc. there is something different in the build specs of the euro cars that we get lumped with, we get 'tropical spec' on our builds...