R-Line issues

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
tilzer
New

R-Line issues

Post by tilzer »

Had my 13 plate 3dr R-Line for 4 months and have been very disappointed with it,
Here is a list of issues I have had, some resolved some not,

1.Loss of fuel readout - now working, unexplained
2.Loss of temp display - now working, unexplained
3.Radio playing no display - now working, unexplained
4.Radio started playing when opening drivers door - now working, unexplained
5.Front discs and pads replaced, were binding when released - resolved
6.Heat shield rattle when driving uphill under load - unresolved
7.Tailgate rattle - resolved (loose wiring and adjustments made)
8.Passenger door rattle - unresolved
9.Weird intermittent knock from behind speedo when going over bumps - unresolved
10.Strange noise when driving slowly on full lock going forwards or backwards (ONLY WHEN RAINING/ROAD SURFACE WET), sounds like a chain? - unresolved

We also have an 11 plate SEL in the family and that has not given us one ounce of trouble.

If anyone could perhaps shed any light on the above it would be much appreciated
mattymdm
Bronze Member

Re: R-Line issues

Post by mattymdm »

9.Weird intermittent knock from behind speedo when going over bumps.
I think i have the same problem when going over bumps it sounds more like a dash creak.

10.Strange noise when driving slowly on full lock going forwards or backwards (ONLY WHEN RAINING/ROAD SURFACE WET), sounds like a chain?.

This is the CV boots. Mine does the same and there is no repair for it, its the material that the boots are made of that cause this
tilzer
New

Post by tilzer »

I have certainly got some weird and mysterious gremlins, the trouble is when you turn up at the dealers the damn gremlins are nowhere to be heard :? :x
mattymdm
Bronze Member

Post by mattymdm »

Easy fix (if your radio now works fine) Just turn the radio up.
Garfy
Bronze Member

Post by Garfy »

10. I had exactly this on my previous Golf, only when raining or wet roads.

Must be a common fault
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

10. Definitely normal according to VW when they checked mine out for this. Only seems to happen at low speed.
gt_lock
New

Post by gt_lock »

tilzer, sorry to hear abut all those issues... what a hassle. you mentioned :
i am having an issue with my new polo brakes at the moment and looking at this I am interested to know more. By 'binding' did it cause a slight delay and noise after releasing the footbrake?
tilzer
New

Post by tilzer »

gt_lock wrote:tilzer, sorry to hear abut all those issues... what a hassle. you mentioned :
i am having an issue with my new polo brakes at the moment and looking at this I am interested to know more. By 'binding' did it cause a slight delay and noise after releasing the footbrake?
I would pull up to a junction brake as normal, stop and apply handbrake. On pulling away a noise could be heard from the front offside almost like an on off hum as the wheel rotated and would then disappear. This noise did not happen all the time. The VW technician did say to me years ago they would have given the car a good thrashing breaking heavily to rectify the problem (suppose this would break the pads in)!!!!!!! OR break the car!!!!!!!! :? On this occasion pads and discs were replaced.

On a depressing note only yesterday I was reversing off my drive and the noise appeared again, I am just wondering whether there is movement of some kind from the pads? :?
vedubber
New

Post by vedubber »

My car has been in the garage for 2 days having a knocking sound when applying the brakes diagnosed.
Also when driving at low speeds eg coasting in first I am also getting a resonance from the brake disc, where the pad is just lightly in contact with the disc which makes the disc 'humm' ( like when running a wet finger around the top of a wine glass )

They have diagnosed the problem to be a faulty calipper carrier which is moving and allowing the pad to literally just stay in contact with the disc, and also make the clunking noise. Now mine is a GTI so I am unsure if it shares the same size disc as the R line, but I know it does with the blue GT.