color coding bumper strips?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
globalomega
New

color coding bumper strips?

Post by globalomega »

I want to color code my black bumper strips to match my car, which is silver.

How should i go about it? Do they need be roughly sanded, cause of the texture? What grit?
Also i don't think i can remove them. :/
Lucaio
Bronze Member

Re: color coding bumper strips?

Post by Lucaio »

Take them off, clean, sand them down , primer, sand them down, primer, sand them down, primer, sand them down, paint, sand them down, paint, laquer.

The more time you take on them the better the finish will be.
globalomega
New

Post by globalomega »

How to remove them? Any guides?
x-luke-b-x
Bronze Member

Post by x-luke-b-x »

The strips on the door use a hair dryer to soften the sticky foam and slide a old credit card around the edges of the strips, should get them off fine with a bit of patience (this is how I did mine) also wd40 helps slide the credit card behind and cut through the foam

then use something called a toffee wheel to get off all the remaing sticky foam.

the strip on the bumber i had to take the bumpers off and pop the clips holding the strips in from behind

PS they take ALOT of sanding to get smooth, you need to start of with fairly rough sand paper and work down to around 600 - 800.

if you don't work down through grits and get them pretty smooth all the scratches from the heavier grid paper will show through the paint
TRiBaL
Bronze Member
Drives: 1.4 16V 6n2

Post by TRiBaL »

i bought the original factory primed strips except from the bumper ones which where done as described. Regarding the side strips, apart from priming they are difficult to stick them back on once removed plus they can easily bend. Too much hassle with questionable results. On the other hand the primed are a little expensive but look perfect and stay on firmly