Cautionary VW lowering spring story (farce)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Dansdad
New

Cautionary VW lowering spring story (farce)

Post by Dansdad »

I will keep this short, where as the whole process has been painfully drawn out!!!

I requested my local VW dealership (I live in Kent) to fit the lowering springs to my wife’s VW Polo 1.2TSI R Line,
The garage took the Reg number to check suitability and informed me we where good to go.
Once the farce of price and what was and was not included in the fitting process was completed we agreed a time to carry out this work and the car was booked in
I then received a phone call stating they had doubts about suitability and they had no wheel alignment geometry figures!! Consequently they would not be fitting the springs (wasted day off for myself)
Then received another call a few days later stating they have checked with VW technical and are now good to go.
Car collected this time, springs fitted and car dropped off.
First impressions are the car looks so much better, maybe a little too low on the front!
I then drive the car and the ride is acceptable (I am old) but the front feels a little under sprung to me, so I start to do some investigation work.
I check the handbook and the maximum front axle load is 850KG the springs fitted are part number 6R0071677A and have a Maximum front axle load of 830KG.
I then dig some more and find that a set of springs with a Maximum front axle load of 860KG is available (in Germany) Part number 6R0071677
I spoke to the garage who inform me I will have to wait a week before anything can be done due to people having days off within the particular branch!
I point out that I believe I have a car that is possibly un-road worthy and if in the worst case scenario was involved in a RTA what would my insurance company say about this situation. I am then forwarded to another branch manager.
Umpteen phone calls later I am told that VW technical have informed them that the specific car build weight for my VIN numbered car has a front axle weight of 630KG and they would be doing nothing as the springs are within spec.
I think this over then the penny drops that build weight and maximum axle load weight although connected are not the same thing. I point this out to the garage manager and request that the springs be removed unless they can supply the correct rated springs. The garage agree to remove the springs and refit the originals although they still maintain they have fitted the correct ones (I am adamant they have not) I have in the mean time contacted VOSA to help with my investigations
So if anyone has the same model or has considered this route just be careful!!!.
My scenario now is the car is being booked to have the springs returned to original, I will the purchase the springs myself, fit them myself (should have done that in the first place) and arrange a wheel alignment.
Regards
wigit
Bronze Member

Re: Cautionary VW lowering spring story (farce)

Post by wigit »

you have experienced what goes through my head will happen if i went down this route, really sorry to read this

i think if i do this i'll go down the VWR spring route and get my preferred indie to do the work
Pearls
New
Drives: Polo GTI 1.8TSI

Post by Pearls »

I have them springs fitted and I have no issues at all, I'll never reach that maximum front axle load anyway so I don't see the problem. Lowering my car has made the ride more stiff and bumpy, you do notice it hit the shocks hard if you manage to hit a bad pot hole/bump but with careful driving I haven't had any issues with the front bottoming out or feeling unresponsive in terms of rebound. It settles quickly after a series of humps/bumps and feels very solid.

Overall my experience is that the car tracks better, has better front end stability and gives me a lot more confidence in what the little Polo is capable of.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

To the OP, as you have done all this investigative work, have you checked the colour codes on the original springs, that too should tie in with the intended axle weight range. There will be a series of colour bars on the springs, the weight range that they cover will be included in the description in the VAG parts catalogue - that tie up, or not will confirm if these sports springs that were fitted are correct for that model of Polo. Also, before they are removed, take a note of the front and rear spring colour codes. Normal duty, heavy duty and sport duty springs for same model will all have different colour codes.
Dansdad
New

Post by Dansdad »

Thanks for the colour code info.

As for pearls input, where i agree that certain aspects of the cars handling have been improved, what is never a good idea is to fit equipment to a car that down grades the vehicles original specifications, This could also have implications should the car be involved in a RTA and the insurance company question whether the car is road worthy! If you have knowingly down graded the suspensions Max axle weight
Its down to personal choice! But i dont wish to take the chances, also as there is a set of springs with the correct spring rate why would anyone take the chance!

Regards
Pearls
New

Post by Pearls »

Dansdad wrote:Thanks for the colour code info.

As for pearls input, where i agree that certain aspects of the cars handling have been improved, what is never a good idea is to fit equipment to a car that down grades the vehicles original specifications, This could also have implications should the car be involved in a RTA and the insurance company question whether the car is road worthy! If you have knowingly down graded the suspensions Max axle weight
Its down to personal choice! But i dont wish to take the chances, also as there is a set of springs with the correct spring rate why would anyone take the chance!

Regards

All good advice but my stance is that I'm not going to exceed the maximum load and the springs that VW have fitted are lowering the car whilst maintaining the comfort and therefore sprung differently. Perhaps the German ones are a lot stiffer and can cope with that tiny bit of extra weight without stopping out on the dampers on every bump?

Whichever way you look at it I think the risk of an insurance company even tampering with a dealership fitted part is minimal. It is the official Volkswagen Suspension lowering kit.

The weight distribution in the vehicle has been changed with the lowering springs on so this has to be thought about as well, maybe the drop on the German springs is different and the front comes down a fraction more, therefore requiring a stiffer spring. I know with how mine is lowered, the rear has the most noticeable drop, I'd imagine the weight distribution has crept slightly rearwards.

This is all talk anyway, I don't really know what VW's stance is but I very much doubt they would release a part that endangers your safety. Stay safe and don't pick up any fat people.
Dansdad
New

Post by Dansdad »

I beleive you have missed the point,
VW havent released a part that is dangerous. the problem is they have not released a part that is correct for the 1.2 TSI in this country yet.
That doesnt mean the only parts that are available in this country become the correct parts to be fitted!

As for insurance companys questioning parts fitted to a car, I have had experience of them interogating the ECU and checking OEM upgraded fitted suspension, wheels and tyres on a car after an RTA.

Just trying to prevent somone making the same mistake i did.
My wifes car is having the original springs fitted today and it cant come soon enough, i have driven the car far more over the weekend with the lowering springs on and the ride has been ruined, it crashes over bumps and gets very upset if you happen to hit a road with a number of close together undulations.

Each to ther own.
PogoCT
Getting There!

Post by PogoCT »

Point taken but as with any mods - you do so at your own risk, i agree that VW wouldn't release any parts that can cause danger.

Ultimatetly you have 2 choices:

1. mod the car knowing that the part you fitted is incorrect and pray everytime you use the vehicle OR

2. wait until such time there is a part specifically for your model

Most guys will fit that mod and wait until such time there is a part for the vehicle.

Good on you that you are not compromising on the safety of your family for the sake of looks :)
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

The 1.2TSI should have the 6R0071677 springs rated to 860KG - this is agreeable with the eibach parts catalog, as eibach make the springs on behalf of VW.

Looking at ETKA there is no reason why these cannot be purchased in the UK either.
Pearls
New

Post by Pearls »

I've been doing a bit more research and see that there's in fact 3 sets of springs. The full part number and then an A or a B at the end. 830kg (6R0071677A), 860kg (6R0071677) and 960kg (6R0071677B)

I'm wondering if these other springs are stiffer?

I've also seen people who have got GTI's with the standard A springs so I'm really unsure as to what the situation is other than personal preference. The GTI should by spec have the higher rated B springs fitted.

I can understand you needing to meet the axle weight spec. I for one can't be bothered with dealerships anymore.
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Info:
Where look at the weights of your car (vw)?
Mine:

For example, in this German website you can see and buy the three different types which comments Pearls.
http://shop.ahw-shop.de/vw-polo/vw-polo ... ungssaetze

6R0071677
http://shop.ahw-shop.de/441-tieferlegun ... 71677.html

Hope that helps.

If I can, I do repairs on my car and the main reason is not the price. :roll: