Bought a VW UP! What to do with the GTI?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
6n2stan
Silver Member
Drives: 6N2 GTI, Golf GTD + R32, T5.1 BiTDI DSG

Bought a VW UP! What to do with the GTI?

Post by 6n2stan »

With no spare time in my life with Kids and my job, I've decided to go down the hassle free route of a new UP.

I've had the GTI for 8 years! I'm still wondering whether I've done the right thing. Its no spring chicken with 155,000 on the clock. I do a lot of narrow country back roads to work and the 6R Polo for example is too wide. The UP is only 9mm wider than the 6N2 so its ideal and still a 'Dub' :lol:

I'm thinking of mothballing the GTI as its worth a lot to me but nothing now to anyone else :cry: How long do people think it'll be before they start to become rare and start to appreciate in value?

I think I'm gonna break my other GTI as it has no MOT, tax, insurance etc and has no front end on atm :roll:

Before people say, I know the UP only has half the power lol. However the family car is a 170tdi GT sport Golf so I can still get a shift on now and again!

Have I done the right thing :?:
shantybeater
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Re: Bought a VW UP! What to do with the GTI?

Post by shantybeater »

I think you've done the right thing. I also think hanging on to the GTI is the right move, I'm not one to get that attached to cars (i generally swap every 2 years) but I have all too often regretted a sale. If i had kept a car for 8 years I'd be devastated to let it go. 6n2 GTI's are not a common car and its such a sad sight to see people breaking perfectly good cars to make more money in pieces (ive considered it myself), hopefully at some point they may appreciate but it wont cost you much to keep it in your life
6n2stan
Silver Member

Post by 6n2stan »

No way could I get rid of the GTI, I've decided. The insurance is up next week then I'm sending the tax back and SORNing it.

The UP is a short term(ish) thing, 3 year lease, £99 deposit, £99 a month until the kids are less time consuming and I can go back to enjoying the Polo instead of worrying how long its going to last or cost me. Whilst its off the road I can bring it back up to scratch without a deadline or the restriction of needing it on the road every Monday morning.

Question is: get it back to perfect showroom condition or/and add some OEM+ to the mix? :)
Bradley
Gold Member

Post by Bradley »

6n2stan wrote:
Question is: get it back to perfect showroom condition or/and add some OEM+ to the mix? :)
You could buy mine?

Im kind of in a similar situation,wondering whether to keep the little Polo or let it go soon.

It's hard,part of me want's to keep it as it's such an awesome little car and still a hoot to drive around the bends now and then, BUT I kind of fancy a change time to time although not much of the new stuff floats my boat unless I was to spend more than i want to on something like a new Polo GTI or new A3 S line.The Scirocco 2.0 TSI is looking favourite and reasonable whilst still giving money for a house.

It's good to hear someone else with a passion for the little beautes.

Brad
6n2stan
Silver Member

Post by 6n2stan »

Cheers Bradley, its not just me fussing over a Polo then lol.

I like the A3 S-line, before the Golf I had an A3 with the S-line body kit and RS6 'fat five' wheels, when I got rid of it to get a family 5 door the Golf won because I wasn't sure about the sportback looks.

The UP is all about the size on the back roads, nice and narrow. Should be collecting it next week.
6n2stan
Silver Member

Post by 6n2stan »

A bit of a sad day yesterday, I drove the polo for the last time back from work :( I'm wondering even more now if I've done the right thing. I'm collecting the UP later this morning. It's a 4x100 stud pattern, I wonder what a set of BBS's would look like on it? :wink:
funlovincriminal
Bronze Member
Drives: 6R GTI

Post by funlovincriminal »

I couldn't bear to get rid of mine either. i ended up selling to my brother for a lot less than it's value just to keep it in the family + bro does about 2k miles a year. So plan is i will eventually buy it back when i have a house with a big garage! Only problem with this arrangement means i have to take care of it and wash/ fix the darn thing.
It's just gutting when you see they are worth less than a couple £thousand. And i can see the value getting higher eventually. Too rare to be worth pennies forever.
I wanted the new gti for years so ended up taking the plunge. No regrets tbh. Property ladder can wait another year!
Ps the up's are great little cars, good value and mpg. You will just miss the old gti acceleration

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
6n2stan
Silver Member

Post by 6n2stan »

FLC,

Your right, the UP acceleration takes some 'planning' shall we say but on the move it flies along no problems. Its so quiet compared to the GTI and dare I say it but really comfortable as well as surprisingly good at handling :? I haven't filled it up to work out MPG, I haven't got the 'maps and more' fitted either but its only got a 35 litre tank and it isn't using much.

I'm gonna make some room in the garage over crimbo so I can start giving the GTI some much needed TLC. :D
shantybeater
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by shantybeater »

6n2stan wrote:FLC,

Your right, the UP acceleration takes some 'planning' shall we say but on the move it flies along no problems. Its so quiet compared to the GTI and dare I say it but really comfortable as well as surprisingly good at handling :? I haven't filled it up to work out MPG, I haven't got the 'maps and more' fitted either but its only got a 35 litre tank and it isn't using much.

I'm gonna make some room in the garage over crimbo so I can start giving the GTI some much needed TLC. :D
Hah I know the feeling, my little 6n2 TDI is missing quite a large amount of HP compared to what I'm used to, doesn't stop me loving it though. The most frustrating times I find are coming off a roundabout on a dual carriageway, tend to get caught in the outside lane with people undertaking me (they are probably wondering why the driver is rocking backwards and forwards!), it's taking a while to adjust. 59.80mpg makes it worthwhile though!