neilGTI's Polo GTI - New Centre Caps Fitted

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo GTi
neilGTI
Gold Member

Re: neilGTI's Polo GTI - New Lambda Sensors

Post by neilGTI »

The engine light has been coming on every time I drove the car with a fault code of P0141 and P0142.

After a good month or two of this happening, I finally got my lazy ass into gear and fixed the problem, The codes relate to the Lambda sensors, so I got a new front sensor and fitted it but the engine light was still coming on.

Due to having the car de-catted for a few years made me think that if the front sensor was filthy, then the back one would almost certainly be just as bad as there was no cat to stop the soot getting through.

As you can see from the photo above, the old sensor was about as dirty as it could get.

Both sensors have now been replaced and touch wood, the engine light has not come on since fitting them.

The total cost for the sensors were: £63 for the front sensor and £45 for the rear sensor.

All I need to sort out now is a new boot switch as the one that's in there has sign of water ingress and has been causing the alarm to go off at random times.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: neilGTI's Polo GTI - New Lambda Sensors Fitted

Post by alexperkins »

New one looks a tad better!!
neilGTI
Gold Member

Post by neilGTI »

I couldn't believe how dirty the sensors were when I took them out, it's no wonder the engine light kept coming on :lol:

To be fair though, I believe that the old sensors were probably the originals so have lasted pretty well.

The new rear sensor as pictured above is of a slightly different type to the one I took out but hopefully it will do the job ok, it certainly seems to have cured the dreaded engine light coming on for now anyway.
TRiBaL
Bronze Member
Drives: 1.4 16V 6n2

Post by TRiBaL »

What's the difference in performance?
neilGTI
Gold Member

Post by neilGTI »

I don't give the car much stick these days as I am on a three year driving license and don't want any excuses for the DVLA to take my license if I got collared driving fast, etc, but it certainly is lot more responsive than it was.
neilGTI
Gold Member

Re: neilGTI's Polo GTI - New Centre Caps Fitted

Post by neilGTI »

I have had to buy some new centre caps for my Schmidts as one of them just disappeared, when I took the others off it was easy to why, the cold weather had made the caps brittle and prone to snapping.

I have replaced them with the flat style caps now so hopefully they will last a lot longer.

Original caps:

New "Flat Style" caps:

Was a little gutted that the originals had broken as they cost me £40 to replace them :lol:
Lloydiexx
Bronze Member

Post by Lloydiexx »

I need to change my sensors as this is the same promlem Im having with mine need to sort it soon :)
stefanhenchoz
Getting There!

Post by stefanhenchoz »

neil where did you source your front lambda sensor from?
neilGTI
Gold Member

Post by neilGTI »

Just had a new MOT, flew through without problems which is great for a car that is 13 years old.

No new mods done to the car though, just been driving it and enjoying it.
neilGTI
Gold Member

Post by neilGTI »

Haven't updated this thread for a long time but I still own the GTi although the wife uses it everyday now as her daily, I currently drive a BMW 330ci Clubsport these days:

Still love the polo though !
TriggerFish
Silver Member

Post by TriggerFish »

Nice! Is that velvet blue? Lovely colour (got an e46 330d myself)
neilGTI
Gold Member

Post by neilGTI »

It's estoril blue, the light in the photo made it look more purple. Lol

You on e46zone as triggerfish ?
neilGTI
Gold Member

Re: neilGTI's Polo GTI - ABS Light Fixed :D

Post by neilGTI »

Finally managed to get the ABS light to go, sent my ABS module to a company called ECU-Testing in Derby and for £100 they tested the unit, fixed it and sent it back, all within 2 days.

The unit is back on the car and the ABS is working great again, the unit has a lifetime warranty so if it fails again, it will just get sent straight back for a repair.

Wish I had done this in the first place rather than buying rubbish off ebay first.