Went to see 9n3 gti [pics] - opinions wanted

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
/\ndy
New

Went to see 9n3 gti [pics] - opinions wanted

Post by /\ndy »

[Posted up on Clubpolo as well] Thought i'd post in this section of the site as it targets a more specific audience.. Please see below.

Hey guys, haven't posted here in a while. Went to go see a 9n3 gti today but ultimately decided it was too pricey for what it was (will get to this in a moment)

Basically the car was 6 years old, had covered 44k, only 3 service stamps, each tyre was a different make, corrosion on the boot handle, interior cup holder was jammed (only minor I know), brake discs and calipers looked very worn, and my biggest concern was the fact the cambelt and water pump had never been changed.

Went for a test drive (during which time the temp sensor light was always on) and everything seemed ok, no unusual rattles etc and everything seemed solid, pulled reasonably as well although felt sluggish in higher gears.

Pics as promised:

Now for the price, the place I went to, fords of winsford (should have known better) wanted..

£6700!

They offered to change the cambelt for no extra cost, but for fitting the water pump wanted an extra £80 on top of that!

Tried making an offer for which they said they cannot budge on at all...

IMHO a car of this spec with that mileage isn't worth more than £5500, the max I would have paid was £6k which is more than reasonable. There was one on sale for that exact price with All the work done (different franchise) but unfortunately that sold quite quickly. At £6.7k I would have expected sub 40k miles, full leather and climate controls but even then that's pushing it.

I've made a thread similar to this before about 9n3 prices, but on every corner there's some idiot seller who thinks they can overcharge simply because it has a gti badge on it, they really do prey on the naivety of your common buyer.

Sorry bit of a long post, but do you think I was right to turn down this car?

Cheers guys
J-Dan
Getting There!

Re: Went to see 9n3 gti [pics] - opinions wanted

Post by J-Dan »

Yes too expensive. I thought these cars were worth about 5k now?
I have a 57 50k miles full leather and climate control. I thought I would be lucky to get 4k haha!
greypolo9n3
Gold Member
Drives: white 6r 1.6 tdi rline/gti

Post by greypolo9n3 »

waayy too much for that....

small cars with big engines are really losing value fast

thats why the new ones are 1.4 :P theyll be better value for longer
Lowthy1989
Getting There!

Post by Lowthy1989 »

I have my polo 9n3 gti up for sale dude! Pm me for more details! I'm only after £6000
LawShe
Bronze Member

Post by LawShe »

Just to give you an idea, I paid £5500 for my 06 plate nearly 2 years ago so mine and that are of a similar age at the time of buying. Mine had 55k on the clock, full service history, 4 brand new tyres, no cambelt done, leather, etc. I'd say that's about a grand overpriced if not more. Get one privately to save yourself some money
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Post by Ben90 »

Never seen the paint fall off the calipers like that :|

Some of those issues sound fairly normal such as the boot handle and that stupid cup holder design, but signs of neglect are also there. On 44k miles the services are about right (probably due another) time frame however isn't. Same with cambelt - fine for miles but time will have taken it's toll on it. Even if the car was immaculate and needed nothing, £6.7k is asking too much. I was looking at some tidy GTIs 2 years ago that cost less than that.

I would buy from somebody on here for a well cared for and documented example, maybe with some pre bolted-on go-faster bits :twisted:
johnpaul252003
New

Post by johnpaul252003 »

Are you still looking to purchase one.