Power steering dead...

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Power steering dead...

Post by Dub_Dan »

Hi guys, about 6 months ago my power steering light (yellow steering wheel light?) came on and my power steering went,I simply switched the car off and then back off which thankfully cleared the issue. Last night I switched the car back on and the same yellow light came on and my steering has gone dead. I did one thing from scanning the forum, revving the car to 3500 revs to see if it cleared the light which it unfortunately did not. Am I right in thinking that the pump has failed or could it be the steering rack? my car is a pd100 1.9tdi done 145,000 miles.

Thanks in advance...
panason1c
Getting There!

Re: Power steering dead...

Post by panason1c »

Sounds like the electro/hydraulic pump has failed.
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

panason1c wrote:Sounds like the electro/hydraulic pump has failed.
Thank you for the reply buddy! I take it that, thats the part under the battery? if so is it a straight swap and doesn't require any programming to the car? as I plan on buying one from ebay now and myself and my friend are going to fit it.

Thanks again.
panason1c
Getting There!

Post by panason1c »

Yes, just below and behind the battery.

I may be wrong, but I believe a replacement will need coding to the car.

Check this link out....

http://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk/f32/el ... -6149.html
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

panason1c wrote:Yes, just below and behind the battery.

Check this link out....

Cheers for the information buddy.
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

panason1c wrote:Yes, just below and behind the battery.

Check this link out....

Hi mate little update! This morning i thought i would get the car warm so i let the temp's rise a bit and then i started revving the car a lot. I then switched the car on and off and the power steering light cleared and below and behold i had power steering! after switching the car off for 30 minutes the fault came back when i switched the car on. My auxilary belt does look quite worn. could this be anything to do with it? I had a new bosch battery 2 years ago.

Thanks in advance.
panason1c
Getting There!

Post by panason1c »

Thanks for the update,
I would guess that the intermittent operation of the power steering indicates, to me, that that the pump is on its last legs, probably because the motor brushes are worn out, after all, the motor/pump is running continuously all the time the engine is running.

It sounds terminal to me and I would be sourcing another electro-hydraulic pump.

I doubt the belt would cause your problem, it may be looking a bit worn, but as long as its turning the alternator its doing its job.

Happy to be corrected by any experts out there?
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

panason1c wrote:Thanks for the update,
I would guess that the intermittent operation of the power steering indicates, to me, that that the pump is on its last legs, probably because the motor brushes are worn out, after all, the motor/pump is running continuously all the time the engine is running.

It sounds terminal to me and I would be sourcing another electro-hydraulic pump.

I doubt the belt would cause your problem, it may be looking a bit worn, but as long as its turning the alternator its doing its job.

Happy to be corrected by any experts out there?

Thanks for all of your input mate its greatly appreciated. A friend of mine had a look at the car yesterday and seems to think that there may be an electrical fault with the car somewhere as it did come on after i was repeatedly revving the car it never went off, only when i switched it off and then back on again! :@ If yourself or anyone has any electrical diagrams of the car so i can trace where the cables go to make sure there isn't a bad connection it would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dan
panason1c
Getting There!

Post by panason1c »

I still think its the pumps' electric motor brushes worn out and making only light contact with the armature, hence the intermittent operation, which is typical behaviour of a motor with 'dying' brushes..
Might be wrong though.
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

Thanks mate, waiting for a price to my unit to be reconditioned. Will let you know. Thanks again for your input as always.

Dan