Gear box oil

Chat about your facelift 9n3 Polo - Including the 9N3 Polo GTI!
Scotland4jimbo
New
Drives: 9n3 gti candy white

Gear box oil

Post by Scotland4jimbo »

I've just had my gear box oil changed. My mechanic says he only used 1.5 litres of the 3 litres vw supplied me. VW said it would take 2.5l to change. Does this seem a reasonable amount ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tony Boi 92
Silver Member

Re: Gear box oil

Post by Tony Boi 92 »

I have changed the oil many times, and the car takes just over 2 litres
Scotland4jimbo
New

Gear box oil

Post by Scotland4jimbo »

Well I'm thinking its either 1l short or he never managed to drain out all the oil. Gonna have to take it back to him to check the level as I don't want to ruin me gear box . As a replacement won't be cheap I expect .

Tony Boi 92
Silver Member

Post by Tony Boi 92 »

Scotland4jimbo wrote:Well I'm thinking its either 1l short or he never managed to drain out all the oil. Gonna have to take it back to him to check the level as I don't want to ruin me gear box . As a replacement won't be cheap I expect .

Na, defo worth a chat
Scotland4jimbo
New

Gear box oil

Post by Scotland4jimbo »

I called my mechanic ( which I have used for the past 15yrs) yesterday on my lunch break. He said he drained from the bottom stud left it draining while he done filter and engine oil change. He measured what came out . Put bottom stud back in and filled it from the top stud until the oil came out the top hole. Put the same back as came out . Just over 1.5l

Tony Boi 92
Silver Member

Post by Tony Boi 92 »

Scotland4jimbo wrote:I called my mechanic ( which I have used for the past 15yrs) yesterday on my lunch break. He said he drained from the bottom stud left it draining while he done filter and engine oil change. He measured what came out . Put bottom stud back in and filled it from the top stud until the oil came out the top hole. Put the same back as came out . Just over 1.5l

Very strange haha