Polo 1L idle/running problems

Chat about your MKI or MKII Polo (86 and 86F)
dubs
New

Polo 1L idle/running problems

Post by dubs »

alright all, new to here so hello,

i've just bought me a cheap 1L saloon 1988 with the intention of cleaning her up and running her for abit, problem is she doesnt idle at all whe ni bought her she wouldnt idle but would run fine once warm, got her home and she won't even drive just stutters and cuts out, ive changed the dizzy cap and leads gonna change the plugs at the weekend as the ones in it are gods knows how old, and looking at them it looks like the engine is over fueling, not too sure though, its been awhile since i've played with carbs, its a hz engine i think with the peirburg(sp) card not sure which modl, but there all crap from what i remember, if any one has any ideas that would help us out let us know

cheers

craig :D
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

not much up on carbed engines, but allegedly the pierburg carburettor is a piece of crap...
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Speaking as a pierburg owner, I have to concur, it's pretty dodgy. Not that that helps very much, I'm afraid :)

I'm not an expert by any means, but that sounds more like a fuelling problem than the ignition.. personally I'd give the carb and fuel tank a good dose of redex, and change the fuel and air filters. Never know, might help :)
Gareth_GT_Hatch
Platinum Member

Post by Gareth_GT_Hatch »

If it runs fine when warm then its down to the automatic choke. why cars with carburettors ever bothered with these I do not know. Manual chokes are so much simpler and more reliable. If its a 1 litre it wont have a pierburg carb but a webber of some sort iirc (32TLA possibly). You can probably buy replacement auto chokes from GSF or ECP and theyre pretty easy to swap (they were on my mates ibiza anyway)
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Mine's a 1l and has a pierburg.. afaik it was the 1.1s mainly that had the webers..
dubs
New

Post by dubs »

its deffo a pierberg, took it off to look at it, priced up a replacment choke for it £80 +vat :shock: and £230 for a direct replacement weber, i thought owning a mk3 golf gti was expensive, but thats just ridiculous. gonna replace the plugs tomorrow just for the sake of it, and also heard that the hall sensor on the dizzy can fail????? is this right? causing bother with running!!

cheers
craig.
GroovyCarrot
Sponsor

Post by GroovyCarrot »

Erk :/ I'm sure you could get a decent 2nd hand or reconditioned carb for less than that...
optima21
Sponsor

Post by optima21 »

right my mk2 is a HZ witha webber 32TLA carb.

does the car fire up and run ok, but just not idle?

if it just wont idle there are a couple of things it could be :-

1) the anti-run on valve isnt working.... when you turn the ignition on you should hear a click from the carb.

2) the mounting plate has split and and allows air into the inlet manifold. if this happens you can either get a new one, or drill and screw the 2 petal plates together like I did
Tahrey1043
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

you could rob one off a scrapper for what would be pennies compared to that price

but as ive said before... what do you expect when they charge the far side of eighty quid for an oil change?
dubs
New

Post by dubs »

only payed £45 for the car, and the milage aint to high for the year, its only done 48k in the last 8 years, done 101k all together, but its stood for the last 4 months. the interior is spotless and tjhe bodywork solid and staright, wanna see how much it costs to make her a good runner again then sell her on maybe :wink:
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

scrapyard time then! :D
dubs
New

Post by dubs »

Tahrey1043 wrote:scrapyard time then! :D
nah shes too good to scrap, the only real rust problem is the battery tray and thats being sorted next week.

went to the scrapy to get some bits managed to get another carb, but also managed to get a brand new dizzy must be about 2months old :lol: £15 though he wasnt happy when he finally saw it, a bit pissed off when he found out it was new.

it starts but stil doesnt idle, and now the oil buzzer has started goin off :twisted:
Tahrey1043

Post by Tahrey1043 »

nah i meant get to the scrapyard to find parts :roll: silly child :D :D
dubs
New

Post by dubs »

:roll:

bloody radiator is leaking now :twisted: bloody cars pain in the arse