Hate to ask this but....

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Jimbo1984
New
Drives: 2010 Polo SE 1.4 DSG

Hate to ask this but....

Post by Jimbo1984 »

Hi Guys,

New to Polo's and new to the forum! I put a deposit down today on a 2010 SE with DSG gearbox and 57k miles. In my haste and excitement I forgot to ask the stealer if the engines cams (1.4 85hp) are belt or chain driven.

Searched high and low and can't seem to find a definitive answer..... can anyone help? Also if belt, I'm guessing it should really be changed given the miles!?

Thanks
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member
Drives: '14 Polo BlueGT

Re: Hate to ask this but....

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

On a 2010 it's chaindrive.
mattymdm
Bronze Member

Post by mattymdm »

Wrong , its belt driven
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

Yes - I think it is belt driven, from these old brochures - http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/used/old-brochure, describes toothed belt for 85PS model.
Mart!n-GTI-DK
Platinum Member
Drives: '14 Polo BlueGT

Post by Mart!n-GTI-DK »

Ah yes sorry.... I was thinkung of the 1,4 GTI engine
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Unless the previous owner was being very tight with money, I'd expect a sensible (previous) owner to have replaced the belt by that age/mileage - maybe have a chat with dealer and make it a condition of sale - of course the previous owner might be being sensible with their money and sold it "just in time" !
Jimbo1984
New
Drives: 2010 Polo SE 1.4 DSG

Post by Jimbo1984 »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm buying the card under the auto welt approved scheme from an authorised dealer - unfortunately the whole cambelt question only came to me AFTER I'd done my negotiation!

The dealer advised me that the cambelt interval is 5 years or 160k miles! Not sure I believe the 160k miles bit! Anyway, despite the so called 'piece of mind' I'm supposed to get from buying approved, this is the one item they will not cover for me - instead they will be charging me £250 to replace the belt before I pick the car up next week. I've agreed to this as the cost (incl. VAT) seemed reasonable.

On another note, the cars DSG gearbox oil is being changed for the first time by the dealer for me at no cost - although I had to argue tooth and nail for them to do it!! I also had to throw my toys out of the cot to get them to put half decent tyres on it as oppose to 'runways' or 'enduros'.

This will be my wifes car and I want it to be as safe and as trouble free as possible for her.... I realise that the car I'm buying is bottom of the pile in terms of the rest of their stock but I do feel as though its been an uphill battle with this dealer..... 142 point check must, in reality, mean that they simply flick all switches and make sure the wheels are attached!