Battery relocation / smaller Battery TDI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Amig
New
Drives: 2014 6R R-line GTD 2.0

Battery relocation / smaller Battery TDI

Post by Amig »

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anybody had some ideas on how to go about a Battery relocation on the 6R 1.6 TDI

I want to do this or fit a smaller battery to make some room in the engine bay so i can fit my oil-catch and a different intake.

I do realize a relocation is probably too much work but the GTI's have it so i might be able to use some parts of a GTI.

Any ideas/help/links/info welcome!!
Amig
New

Re: Battery relocation / smaller Battery TDI

Post by Amig »

Anyone?
saty
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 6r 1.6tdi

Post by saty »

Couldnt find anything on this website which is usually good:
http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/ ... ont_panel/

I couldn't imagine it to be too hard to be honest. Crimp in a wire of the same awg to the positive cable and route it to the boot, grounding the battery in the boot should be no problem. Then its just making a stable bracket for the battery. You could probably get the bracket off the GTI from your dealer.

For an OEM install you could have a look at ETKA, someone might have access to it on the forum.

Have you done anything in terms of power yet? Been looking into fitting an intercooler, decat and dpf removal pipe, and remap to push 160bhp. Hopefully I'll have enough saved to fit by the summer :)
Gannu
New
Drives: 6R 1.6 TDI 105 PS

Post by Gannu »

saty wrote:Couldnt find anything on this website which is usually good:
http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/ ... ont_panel/
You were searching at the wrong place. :)

This is a Polo Mk 5 and your link was pointing to a Mk4.

This is the link - http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/ ... c/battery/
saty
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 6r 1.6tdi

Post by saty »

Gannu wrote:
saty wrote:
You were searching at the wrong place. :)

This is a Polo Mk 5 and your link was pointing to a Mk4.

This is the link - http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/ ... c/battery/
I must have copied and pasted the wrong link, I checked the 6r section before and couldn't find anything on it
Amig
New

Post by Amig »

i got a very usefull piece of info from the link that I will also implement! The n253 module seems like something that will make everything a bit safer having the battery in the trunk! Thanks guys!
Amig
New

Post by Amig »

So after some research I have made up a list of OEM components which i will be using to relocate the battery.

The N523 Module will not be used as this has to be coded in and a fuse in the trunk is a much easier option which also provides enough safety.

For anyone who is also interested in doing this mod i will list Part numbers and make pictures of the build.

One small note before starting, First check if the spare wheel scale in your car has the hole to put the +wire through to the front and an extra bolt which is on the far back right corner this will serve as your Mass and has to be sanded since it is primed and painted in most cases.

The spare wheel scale is in my car since the 1.6 TDI R-Line has a lot of parts which are similar to the GTI (suspension, brakes etc.)

Parts needed:

Battery console - 6R0 804 869 B
Extra Reinforcement - 6R0 801 981

Clamp for battery - 1J0 803 219
Brace for battery - 6R0 802 717 B

Spare wheel bolt bottom - 8K0 804 899
Spare wheel bolt top - 8K0 803 899
(Note: these numbers are for the smaller spare wheel the large spare wheel uses different part no.)

Fusebox holder - 6R0 915 343 C

Needed to mount battery fuse box on frame in engine bay. Normally the current wires from alternator to battery should be long enough to reach the new location of the fusebox, keep in mind you might have to disconnect these and route them differently

Cableset + 3640mm/85sqmm - 6R0 971 227 (Mass cable will be reused)

Extra 200 Amp inline fuse for above mentioned wire which will be placed closest to battery as possible (get at local hardware/electronics shop)

So thats it for the parts.. i will write up a DIY during the proces and will post it in a new topic if anyone is interested.

@Ciclo: finally getting there :)
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

I guess you already will have this link Image
Expecting to see your DIY. :wink:
Amig
New

Post by Amig »

Ow I needed that link sooner :shock:

I just went and looked in my trunk to see if it was the same as the gti/WRC and then looked up the parts in ETKA XD

But thanks for the link!! But am seeing this right? I have to strip most of the car? I thought it just ran underneath the car because of all the covers that come with it.
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Try reading from the top of the post. In German I do not understand anything... :roll:
Amig
New

Post by Amig »

Lol same here! well my german is okay but that a lot of reading haha! i think i have a good idea ofhow i'm going to run the cable, had the car up in the air this afternoon :D
Amig
New

Post by Amig »

So i finally got my parts from VW..

Only one thing that i can't seem to figure out. The fusebox bracket for in the engine compartement has some type of transistor in it with a 2-pin connector on it.

Can anyone enlighten me what this is for? i do not seem to have it on my car or at least not in that exact same spot.. if needed i can post a pic.. part number on it is 6RO 918 343 (not sure i'm at work now..)