MFSW Retro Fit

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
robertsm66
Bronze Member
Drives: VW 1.2 TSI

MFSW Retro Fit

Post by robertsm66 »

Hi All
I'm asking this question out of interest. If you have a VW 6R Polo Highline Spec, do you still need to add the additional wiring to get the Multifucntion steering wheel working or is it plug and play (with coding).

My car came with the left buttons so upgrading wasn't an issue but I'm selling my old MFSW steering wheel and airbag and I'm getting loads of questions on if it will or will not work etc.

Ta

Rob
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: MFSW Retro Fit

Post by iichel »

If the car didn't come with a factory MFSW, then it is necessary to do some changes to the electrical system and check a box in VCDS
Joe9n3
Bronze Member

Post by Joe9n3 »

MFSW Buttons?? if your car is DSG yes its plug&play

If not, im assuming additional wiring would be needed.

Ps. i retro fitted MSFW buttons onto my DSG GTi that didnt have them....
iichel

Post by iichel »

Makes sense, since there is already a wire for the LIN-bus and a 12V feed for the module for the DSG paddles
tompitt87
New

Post by tompitt87 »

Hi all,

I retrofitted the MFSW to my 2011 GTI, straight swap, plugged into control unit and all buttons lighting up and working fine for a month or so...

However, the LHS buttons all work fine still but today some of the RHS buttons have stopped working?! Up/Down/Ok works fine. But the left and right buttons, used to switch between MFD/Audio/Settings/Service Info views no longer do anything!

I know that the MFSW buttons stop working if you use the stalk buttons, until you turn the ignition off and on again, but that doesnt fix it. I had it first thing this morning, forgot about it for 8hrs while at work and its still the same now :(

Any ideas?! Cant take it to VW as they'll just say the retrofit "isnt supported" help will be muchly appreciated

Tom
robertsm66
Bronze Member
Drives: VW 1.2 TSI

Post by robertsm66 »

Have you got VCDS Tom ?

It may be worth popping the airbag off and checking the connections and wiring incase anything has moved or been trapped. Pretty unlikely I know but worth a look.
iichel

Post by iichel »

while switching ignition, hold down all buttons on the right side
tompitt87
New

Post by tompitt87 »

robertsm66 wrote:Have you got VCDS Tom ?

It may be worth popping the airbag off and checking the connections and wiring incase anything has moved or been trapped. Pretty unlikely I know but worth a look.
I havent unfortunately, theres quite a lot of tinkering id like to do if i had got it!

I wouldnt have thought its a VCDS config issue though as its been working for a while until yesterday. Also, all the buttons get backlight and some of the RHS ones work so i assume its plugged in fine...
iichel wrote:while switching ignition, hold down all buttons on the right side
Ill try this, i may need an extra pair of hands to turn the key while holding all 6 RHS MFSW buttons down though lol!
IZVVC
Bronze Member

Post by IZVVC »

sorry to bother, but tom where did you get all your parts to retro fit the mfsw, and would you be able to say a quick guide on how to do it mate?
Tooks
Bronze Member
Drives: 2011 Polo GTI

Post by Tooks »

IZVVC wrote:sorry to bother, but tom where did you get all your parts to retro fit the mfsw, and would you be able to say a quick guide on how to do it mate?
Retrofitting the MFSW to the 2011 GTI is not really representative of fitting it to any other Polo unfortunately.

The GTI already has the control unit (due to having the DSG box and steering wheel paddles) and the only bit you need is a steering wheel trim piece that comes with the buttons and ribbon cables.

Then you just remove the airbag and old trim piece, fit the new trim with buttons and connect the cables, replace the airbag and do some coding if necessary.

On a non GTI polo, you'll likely need a new MFSW steering wheel (either left hand side buttons or both sides) and also an airbag as MFSW airbag clips are a different design. Then you need a MFSW controller, the ribbon cabling and also in all likelihood some other wiring, and then coding with VCDS.

It's a lot of work on a non GTI...
AntonDelin
New
Drives: Polo 1.2TSI DSG GT

Post by AntonDelin »

How about the airbag for us with the left spoke MFSW and want to upgrade to the "Full right+left GTI MFSW"? This discussion has been up before, but with the non-MFSW airbag not being compatible with the GTI steering wheel.

My question then: Does a left spoke MFSW airbag work with a GTI steering wheel?

Tooks wrote:.......
On a non GTI polo, you'll likely need a new MFSW steering wheel (either left hand side buttons or both sides) and also an airbag as MFSW airbag clips are a different design. Then you need a MFSW controller, the ribbon cabling and also in all likelihood some other wiring, and then coding with VCDS.

Gannu
New
Drives: 6R 1.6 TDI 105 PS

Post by Gannu »

AntonDelin wrote:My question then: Does a left spoke MFSW airbag work with a GTI steering wheel?
That is, will the airbag from this steering below...

...fit this one:

I think it does. One guy has managed to use the one from his stock MFSW (with just the left buttons) on the GTI MFSW. Saves some $$$.
iichel

Post by iichel »

the airbag is a straight fit
AntonDelin
New
Drives: Polo 1.2TSI DSG GT

Post by AntonDelin »

iichel wrote:the airbag is a straight fit
Fantastic, thanks a lot!!!
Tooks
Bronze Member
Drives: 2011 Polo GTI

Post by Tooks »

AntonDelin wrote:How about the airbag for us with the left spoke MFSW and want to upgrade to the "Full right+left GTI MFSW"? This discussion has been up before, but with the non-MFSW airbag not being compatible with the GTI steering wheel.

My question then: Does a left spoke MFSW airbag work with a GTI steering wheel?

Tooks wrote:.......

Indeed, I can confirm the left side only MFSW airbag will fit the GTI wheel.

I purchased a left side only MFSW for my friends car, only the existing airbag wouldn't fit. I removed my GTI airbag to have a look and both mine and the new left side only MFSW had the same airbag retention system.