New GTI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Re: New GTI

Post by JohnPolo »

Dink wrote:Yeah I've got nothing on that page just the short details of my order and order number and a picture of a shipping container :? :? :?
Did you originally sign up for text alerts.?
I initially got a text saying the build status had changed to confirmed week and to either log into my account for more details or contact the retailer.
tomtoon2015
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 blueGT

Post by tomtoon2015 »

JohnPolo wrote:
Dink wrote:Yeah I've got nothing on that page just the short details of my order and order number and a picture of a shipping container :? :? :?
Did you originally sign up for text alerts.?
I initially got a text saying the build status had changed to confirmed week and to either log into my account for more details or contact the retailer.
I signed up for them yet didn't get an alert, be interesting to see if I get one for the next stage
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

I think it's safe to say the VW order tracking website is pretty poor!

Ordered mine on 17th Jan and it only updated to reflect build week being confirmed last week. However, dealer had told me that info about 3 weeks beforehand.

In short, other than having some cute animated graphics, the tracker isn't much use.
Nobziller
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2015

Post by Nobziller »

Mine order number isn't even in the system
Shark00n
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 6C

Post by Shark00n »

Andy4791 wrote:
Shark00n wrote:Around FEB 25th
Cool, Feb 13th me still no build date
I'm in Portugal by the way. We don't get that VW tracking thingy, my dealer's been keeping me updated, maybe try with yours? :wink:
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

Just found this link, some of which I think I may have read before. http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/vol ... gti-review
Shark00n
Bronze Member

Post by Shark00n »

skipster wrote:Just found this link, some of which I think I may have read before. http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/vol ... gti-review
Decent read, thanks for the link.

I'm starting to question my decision not to include the 'Sport Pack'. I test-drove one without it and didn't feel the need. Mine's a manuals so I don't really see the need for it whereas in the DGS model it brings a sport setup to the automatic gearbox which I think is worth it.

I'm not a big fan of sport buttons. I like my car to be enjoyable all the time, not just when I press a button. The fake induced sound also doesn't float me boat :|

I also read that the comfort mode makes the Polo more compliant, and the sport mode makes it too hard. Too hard for normal B-Roads, only really suitable for the track. I don't plant on doing many trackdays so I opted not to spec it. In favour of a more traditional and pretty well set up spring/shock suspension.

But I can't deny that having a clever magnetic damping solution in a small car like the Polo is an interesting exercise, maybe worth it just for the heck of it...

My car is build week 18, do you guys think I still have time to call my dealer and order the change? Should I do it?
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

Is there a sport button in da house yet?? :)
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

Is there a difference between a non sport button model and a sport button model with it off?
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

Shark00n wrote:
skipster wrote:Just found this link, some of which I think I may have read before. http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/vol ... gti-review

I'm starting to question my decision not to include the 'Sport Pack'. I test-drove one without it and didn't feel the need. Mine's a manuals so I don't really see the need for it whereas in the DGS model it brings a sport setup to the automatic gearbox which I think is worth it.

I'm not a big fan of sport buttons. I like my car to be enjoyable all the time, not just when I press a button. The fake induced sound also doesn't float me boat :|

I also read that the comfort mode makes the Polo more compliant, and the sport mode makes it too hard. Too hard for normal B-Roads, only really suitable for the track. I don't plant on doing many trackdays so I opted not to spec it. In favour of a more traditional and pretty well set up spring/shock suspension.

But I can't deny that having a clever magnetic damping solution in a small car like the Polo is an interesting exercise, maybe worth it just for the heck of it...

My car is build week 18, do you guys think I still have time to call my dealer and order the change? Should I do it?
I think the consensus generally is that the sport button is such a small premium as an option, you may as well specify it whether you use it or not.

You could contact your dealer to see if it can still be specified, it may not be too late or it could push the build week back. I also own a Scirocco with the 'comfort, normal, sport' button (albeit a slightly different system), and to be honest it stays in normal 99% of the time, but occasionally it is good to try it in 'sport' mode, but the occasions in which to benefit from it are few and far between.

The Polo system for £245 I think is a worthwhile option, as it will make it slightly more desirable also at resale.
Shark00n
Bronze Member

Re:

Post by Shark00n »

Dink wrote:Is there a difference between a non sport button model and a sport button model with it off?
From what I understand and have gathered from my dealer and articles about the car, yes there is.

Sport button equiped cars have dynamic dampers and specific springs. These dampers are electronically controled and have two settings:
-Normal/Comfort: Every-day use, makes the car softer and more compliant.
-Sport: Changes to the DSG's software makes it rev for longer, exhaust noise is optimised and forced into the cabin, shocks tighten up and the cars gets noticeably harder. Pretty good for track day but I hear it's a bit hopeless in bumpy roads. Making you lose grip specially under braking.

Non sport button has a regular 'old-school' suspension set up. That's different shocks and springs, I'm not sure the roll bars are the same though. It's a pretty good one at that. Minimal body roll and still compliant over bumps. I think it strikes a good compromise between the comfort and sport mode in cars with it.
Shark00n
Bronze Member

Post by Shark00n »

skipster wrote:
Shark00n wrote:

I think the consensus generally is that the sport button is such a small premium as an option, you may as well specify it whether you use it or not.

You could contact your dealer to see if it can still be specified, it may not be too late or it could push the build week back. I also own a Scirocco with the 'comfort, normal, sport' button (albeit a slightly different system), and to be honest it stays in normal 99% of the time, but occasionally it is good to try it in 'sport' mode, but the occasions in which to benefit from it are few and far between.

The Polo system for £245 I think is a worthwhile option, as it will make it slightly more desirable also at resale.
Yes the price makes it easy for everyone to spec it, and I also considered the resale value.
But I believed more in the traditional set up. It's pretty sporty and firm without being too uncomfortable. The cars feels absolutely solid in rough roads under breaking or turning.
With sport button I'll have to opt for either driving on a more comfortable mode with more body lean and less engine noise or a sport mode that I almost wouldn't use because it makes the car worse on most roads. (altough better for track-days)

But now I'm questioning my decision more and more :| Maybe the comfort mode is quite nice if you're not driving in 'attack mode' all the time. And the sport mode can be quite pleasing if I find the right stretch of road...
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

In case you haven't seen it, Auto Express also have their UK review now online - avaliable here. Four stars again, so same as Autocar and Evo.

All the reviews I've seen suggest the 'standard' non-Sport pack car is decent enough, and sits between the Sport pack's 'Sport' and 'Comfort' modes in terms of stiffness.

However, I was always going to spec' the Sport pack it. But that's more to do with me having a website/blog called EngageSportMode in some respects!
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

Collective jump to your website. :)
skipster
Silver Member

Post by skipster »

I noticed earlier there are some GTI's appearing on the used VW Website (Das Welt Auto). These will clearly be demo cars so won't be available for some time yet.