Buying a 6R - Advice on engine & model...

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Re: Buying a 6R - Advice on engine & model...

Post by hornmeister »

http://vehiclewrappeduk.co.uk/bonnet-wrap

just done a quick check they say it's good at preventing chips.
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

Oh the joys of limp mode.

Car was hesitant to accelerate this morning, and its gone into limp mode. Ffs. Had less trouble with the 97' corsa.

Its getting booked in for Monday 0830am
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

I've been toying with the idea of getting rid of my current polo... I love the colour but its been getting absolutely trashed bodywork wise. I try to take very good care of the paintwork, but scratches and chips have been appearing at an alarming rate which I can only put down to either passengers, other members of the public or stone throw-up's.

I was planning to keep this polo for 3 years where I would estimate id retain 45-50% of purchase value (6200) but at the rate of the bodywork damage there will be no chance!

I bought the car in March for 6200. I got an online quote from webuyanycar for 6108. I took it down to one of their dealers yesterday who inspected it. He adjusted the value from 6108 to 6004 due to a small stone 'dent' on the rear passanger door.

Don't think that's a bad valuation considering ive put 6k on the clock since buying it.

I've been looking at a reflex silver, either another moda/match or a TDI.

Thoughts ?
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

Its coming up for a year since I purchased the polo, I'm planning to keep it for at least another year or two.

I do enjoy driving it, but I reckon my next purchase whatever it may be would definitely be a more powerful engine, maybe a TSI, or BGT, for coupled economy.

I have started doing a once weekly commute which is 180 motorway miles return, its a once a week trip so nothing major, as the majority of my travel is still local, but I find the engine pushing itself on the motorway at 70-75, high rpm and quite noisy, although I do find myself getting up to 430-500 miles per tank when doing motorway miles which is a plus.

On this commute I do sometimes find the seat uncomfortable and there is a continuous stretch, 54 miles of Average Speed Cameras on the route which is a pain and adds to the strain of operating it. I am looking to have fitted cruise control.

The Polo Moda has a basic 'lowline' function display which is not compatible with retrofit cruise control, I have looked into things and I would need to have a 'midline' display fitted at a cost of around £250, and then have the Cruise control (RRP110) stalk fitted at a cost of around £225, Total £475.

@Ciclo does this sound about right ? I see some online retailers sell the kit 'w/o DIS' and the kit 'with DIS' (driver information system) and some say you need to have the DIS (midline) installed....

Any opinions of this is worth it ? Obviously if im looking to keep the car for a while yet, or if I do upgrade I could always take out the mindline and cruise stalk and put back the stock.

Also fitting my VW LED DRL's this week, watch this space for pics!
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

IIRC the actual cluster is the same- you simply have to add the stalk with the buttons and enable it all with VCDS. The cruise is a bit more involved- apparently there's some wire that VW didn't fit from the factory.
Mayhem
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 polo 1.2 tsi

Post by Mayhem »

lxm wrote:I've been toying with the idea of getting rid of my current polo... I love the colour but its been getting absolutely trashed bodywork wise. I try to take very good care of the paintwork, but scratches and chips have been appearing at an alarming rate which I can only put down to either passengers, other members of the public or stone throw-up's.

I was planning to keep this polo for 3 years where I would estimate id retain 45-50% of purchase value (6200) but at the rate of the bodywork damage there will be no chance!

I bought the car in March for 6200. I got an online quote from webuyanycar for 6108. I took it down to one of their dealers yesterday who inspected it. He adjusted the value from 6108 to 6004 due to a small stone 'dent' on the rear passanger door.

Don't think that's a bad valuation considering ive put 6k on the clock since buying it.

I've been looking at a reflex silver, either another moda/match or a TDI.

Thoughts ?
Most new cars have thinner paint and chip easily, especially bonnet and front bumper. The spaceship shaped Civic is pretty poor for this. Silver seems best for not noticing marks as much tho
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

Timing chains gone.... Waiting for news on the damage............
blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Post by blackertracker »

lxm wrote:Timing chains gone.... Waiting for news on the damage............
Sorry to hear that. If the car has had an oil change every 10k then that's really poor for the chain to snap. I'd be asking VW for goodwill contribution to repair. VW (and BMW) have had problems with chains badly made by a supplier which may have been fitted to your car.

The latest VW engines have gone back to belts now.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Sigh! And here is me starting to look around for a car to replace wife's Polo 1.4 75PS 2002MY, tomorrow seems to be looking and maybe test driving a Polo 1.2TSI - in whatever model is available, I'd doubt if there are any SELs as demo cars, though I'd like to get her a loaded up SEL or a loaded up Beezer 1.2TSI FR - decisions decisions, and yes I know that Seat trim is very fragile! Its a bit pants the way that VW try to force you to take finance, "that will be another £1000 if you don't take finance" - Seat finance/no finance prices are the same it seems, so how come that is so? Orangewheels will probably be my broker of choice - unless anyone local plays ball.
JohnNW
Getting There!

Post by JohnNW »

RUM4MO wrote:Sigh! And here is me starting to look around for a car to replace wife's Polo 1.4 75PS 2002MY, tomorrow seems to be looking and maybe test driving a Polo 1.2TSI - in whatever model is available, I'd doubt if there are any SELs as demo cars, though I'd like to get her a loaded up SEL or a loaded up Beezer 1.2TSI FR - decisions decisions, and yes I know that Seat trim is very fragile! Its a bit pants the way that VW try to force you to take finance, "that will be another £1000 if you don't take finance" - Seat finance/no finance prices are the same it seems, so how come that is so? Orangewheels will probably be my broker of choice - unless anyone local plays ball.
If you take the finance and pay it off within a couple of weeks you get the discount anyway.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

JohnNW wrote: If you take the finance and pay it off within a couple of weeks you get the discount anyway.
I've yet to ask about that issue, has anyone taken finance and managed to do that already, I will do if that is what it takes to make use of that £1000 "excess".
We have been out today and things are very much like I suspected, ie no SEL demos, no SEL coming back in for resale, closest demo "type" being SE Design 1.2 TSI. I think that we will need to grab a demo of that model and get a quote to supply, delivery is 24 > 26 weeks.
Interesting specing up a SEL plus desirable factory fit options, then comparing costs against doing same with SE, Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR and Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR Black - the FR Black is very restricted as far as factory fit options are concerned and Ibiza are not available with some of the options desired. For the Polo, it seems that wife finds the available colours a bit restrictive, which seems a bit crazy, what is the point of just having a few (12!) colours available, and in true VW style, the metallic version of Mayon just never made it to the production line. 12 colours should be enough, but just not enough variety - her car, her choice!
Anyone used a broker and if so which one as my one seems to want me to get a fixed quote from dealer, then they will try to improve on it, does not sound like that will be very possible with a factory order - or does it?
JohnNW
Getting There!

Post by JohnNW »

RUM4MO wrote:
JohnNW wrote: If you take the finance and pay it off within a couple of weeks you get the discount anyway.
I've yet to ask about that issue, has anyone taken finance and managed to do that already, I will do if that is what it takes to make use of that £1000 "excess".
We have been out today and things are very much like I suspected, ie no SEL demos, no SEL coming back in for resale, closest demo "type" being SE Design 1.2 TSI. I think that we will need to grab a demo of that model and get a quote to supply, delivery is 24 > 26 weeks.
Interesting specing up a SEL plus desirable factory fit options, then comparing costs against doing same with SE, Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR and Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR Black - the FR Black is very restricted as far as factory fit options are concerned and Ibiza are not available with some of the options desired. For the Polo, it seems that wife finds the available colours a bit restrictive, which seems a bit crazy, what is the point of just having a few (12!) colours available, and in true VW style, the metallic version of Mayon just never made it to the production line. 12 colours should be enough, but just not enough variety - her car, her choice!
Anyone used a broker and if so which one as my one seems to want me to get a fixed quote from dealer, then they will try to improve on it, does not sound like that will be very possible with a factory order - or does it?
In answer to your first question, I've not done it personally but a browse around the VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat forums suggest that plenty of people do it without issue.
And as for using a broker, we've used drive the deal three times now and never had an issue. It's a straightforward process and you never pay the broker direct, although they will take your credit card details, but it will be the dealer that takes the deposit.

The only issue, if you could call it as such, is that you aren't sure where the dealer is until you've placed the order. However, prior to placing the order, you can ask the whereabouts in the country the dealer is and drive the deal will tell you.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

On the subject of the "£1000 excess", I will need to clarify exactly what that is and which price it applies to via my local dealer, if it does truly exist then I might pay a huge deposit and try to wriggle out of the credit agreement after delivery, as it seems that the deposit is not a fixed sum, more like a minimum sum relative to the car OTR price. I've just discovered that Seat's version of this is "£2000 excess" - I did not spot that earlier.

Using brokers, in general do not worry me, I bought a VW Passat 2.8V6 4Motion from Intercar in NL back in 2000, and bought wife's current Polo 9N 1.4SE 75PS from an NL VW dealer near Baan in 2002, huge saving and professional people I dealt with and no problems. The question was meant to be more loaded towards which broker seemed best for ordering a VW Polo from factory, I've had replies from OrangeWheels, CarWow, DriveTheDeal and Broadspeed, some not really worth the small savings, but some a lot better. My gut feelings are I'd like to give the very long established Broadspeed my business, but they are so far not the cheapest - DriveTheDeal comes out top so far and I don't mind travelling to pick up the car as I've done that in the past to the top end of NL inside Germany really and near Amsterdam - with no issues other than travelling supposedly with full comp UK sourced insurance - wrong, only legal minimum until you reach UK!
lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

Top spec, Titanium X
EcoBoost 1.0 125PS engine

Not 100% about the interior or back end, but test drive booked for next week. Power and extras are 'day and night' compared to the Polo.
blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Post by blackertracker »

lxm wrote: Top spec, Titanium X
EcoBoost 1.0 125PS engine

Not 100% about the interior or back end, but test drive booked for next week. Power and extras are 'day and night' compared to the Polo.
What was the outcome of the timing chain issue on your Polo?

Fiestas are good to drive but I don't think they're quite as amazing as the motoring press makes them out to be.
Interior lets them down. Not as refined & quiet as some other cars.
As for extras over a Polo? You can't have a sunroof for one thing so not sure it's 'day & night'.