First post on here, ordered my new GTI on March 12th with the following spec:

Manual
Pure white
Discover Nav
Cruise and Park Pack
Light and sight pack
Winter pack
Rear view camera

A few questions if anyone can help? I've asked my dealer to add the sport button option (am I correct in saying Volkswagen call this Sport Performance Kit with Dynamic Chassis Control?) however my dealer has said this is for DSG models only, is this correct I'm sure I've seen this on some of the manual orders on here? Also my dealer is yet to give me an order number despite ordering almost a month ago, does this sound right, I'm tempted to contact vw cs to confirm an order has been placed and to try and find out the order date as I fear the dealer may have delayed due to allocation perhaps?

Also fairly annoyed at vw changing the cruise and park pack to add the rear view camera for £25 has anyone queried this with their dealer?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shark00n
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 6C

Re: New GTI

Post by Shark00n »

Another nice little review, this time of a 3dr manual. And he makes quite the case about the Sport button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJWUhpDooh0

Proper way to take a corner at 2:56 :mrgreen:
Andy4791
Silver Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2015

Post by Andy4791 »

Hmmm. Dunno if I'm gonna use sport button too much lol
dunc85
New
Drives: GTI

Post by dunc85 »

I have a few issues with that review:

The Sport Performance Kit is £245 not £300.

I'm pretty sure the 'artificial engine noise' isn't pumped in via the speakers. I'm sure it uses the vibrating soundaktor like the Golf.

Also the old chestnut of being not as 'playful' as the Fiesta ST, but then how often do you go sideways on public roads?!
Andy4791
Silver Member

Post by Andy4791 »

Yeah good points there, few of his facts were wrong. I've heard suspension is still softer than an ST even in sport mode. Have to wait until I get my own to see for real
JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Post by JohnPolo »

Andy4791 wrote:Yeah good points there, few of his facts were wrong. I've heard suspension is still softer than an ST even in sport mode. Have to wait until I get my own to see for real

Funnily enough I bumped into a couple of old friends last week, both engineers at Aston Martin. As we walked back to our respective cars I joked where was the company Aston. We get a 2015 Fiesta ST they replied and both in unison said that the ride was too hard and uncomfortable long term. They were more impressed with my impending GTI. :D
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

gcampbell wrote:Hi Guys,

Manual
Pure white
Discover Nav
Cruise and Park Pack
Light and sight pack
Winter pack
Rear view camera

A few questions if anyone can help? I've asked my dealer to add the sport button option (am I correct in saying Volkswagen call this Sport Performance Kit with Dynamic Chassis Control?) however my dealer has said this is for DSG models only, is this correct I'm sure I've seen this on some of the manual orders on here? Also my dealer is yet to give me an order number despite ordering almost a month ago, does this sound right, I'm tempted to contact vw cs to confirm an order has been placed and to try and find out the order date as I fear the dealer may have delayed due to allocation perhaps?

Also fairly annoyed at vw changing the cruise and park pack to add the rear view camera for £25 has anyone queried this with their dealer?

Thanks in advance

Manual cars can have the sport button too!
Shark00n
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 6C

Post by Shark00n »

dunc85 wrote:Also the old chestnut of being not as 'playful' as the Fiesta ST, but then how often do you go sideways on public roads?!
It's not like what he said isn't true. He also talked extensively about how the Polo is classier and more refined.

I think we all know the Fiesta is more fun to drive, probably the most fun you can have on a super mini if you just want to drive fast. But the Polo is everything else. It's fast, compliant, silent, comfortable and also very fun in it's own right. It just doesn't have the playful back-end the Fiesta does.
dunc85
New
Drives: GTI

Post by dunc85 »

Shark00n wrote:
dunc85 wrote:Also the old chestnut of being not as 'playful' as the Fiesta ST, but then how often do you go sideways on public roads?!
It's not like what he said isn't true. He also talked extensively about how the Polo is classier and more refined.
No, but he touts it as an advantage. Perhaps it is, but it's one that you can rarely take advantage of.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

gcampbell wrote:Hi Guys,

Manual
Pure white
Discover Nav
Cruise and Park Pack
Light and sight pack
Winter pack
Rear view camera

Thanks in advance

i'm thinking of speaking to my dealer about the cruise pack and camera
blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Post by blackertracker »

Autoexpress place the Polo GTI 3rd behind the Mini Cooper S and Peugeot 208 GTI this week... hmm, not sure I agree....

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen ... ot-208-gti
JohnPolo
Silver Member

Post by JohnPolo »

I always think that the Cooper s interior looks like it was designed by fischer price toys. Just Google! !
Andy4791
Silver Member

Post by Andy4791 »

JohnPolo wrote:I always think that the Cooper s interior looks like it was designed by fischer price toys. Just Google! !
The one I had in 2002 rattled like it had too lol
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

I have read a couple of reports now where they say that the battery has been relocated to the boot because of the physical size of the engine, that is rubbish as VW moved it there for weight distribution reasons.

But yes - Fisher Price toys for the Cooper, yup - can agree with that, odd sized instruments etc. I think some of these reviewers miss the point with the Polo GTI (or for that matter the Golf GTI), these cars are not intended to be 'on the edge' as much as a Fiesta or Focus ST. The next gen Polo/Golf will be exactly the same and they will no doubt come in for the same kind of criticism. But hey, I suppose they have a job to do! :D
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

The Cooper S has the potential to be hilariously expensive when it comes to options too. Just had a play on the MINI Configurator website, and to get a car to a similar spec' as a standard Polo GTI you're talking about £21k!

Add to that the awful interior, bulbous retro styling and general image, there's no way I would consider a Cooper S instead of the GTI.