Sluggish performance

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
chrispy.
Gold Member

Sluggish performance

Post by chrispy. »

I have a 1.2 TSI 2011 Polo

When I picked the car up, it was the fastest car in the world with a million horse power and did 3 times the speed of sound.. Or so it felt..

3 years on and 30k miles on the clock, it starting to feel like its getting tired..

Before, i'd hit 2000 rpm and my head will be pinned to the head rest, and whiplash caused to all occupants in the car..

Now, it feels more sustained..

Ive done regular servicing on the car every year, good quality plugs, good oil, filters.. Just cant help but feel its lacking now :(

Is there anything I can do to restore the power?
Not really looking into remapping it, more thinking of the engine cleaning, injector cleaners.. Things like that..

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Re: Sluggish performance

Post by Redline »

Is it not more likely you've just become used to the performance of it?

If it's been serviced correctly, there's no errors showing up on VCDS, and there's no other variable, it's maybe more of a psychological thing.

Try driving something really slow for a couple of weeks - that'll probably help!
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

I did think that

I am also worried that i want something to be wrong.. If that makes sense.

perarduapropatria
Getting There!
Drives: 2011 (61) Polo 1.6 TDI SEL

Post by perarduapropatria »

Terraclean?
deltalimamike
Getting There!
Drives: GT TSI

Post by deltalimamike »

I wouldn't have thought it would be losing performance with that mileage or good servicing that you describe.

I agree with the above and you have just got used to it.

You could put it on a rolling road if you are really worried.
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

It originally had 26k on the clock so now its close to 60k

deltalimamike
Getting There!
Drives: GT TSI

Post by deltalimamike »

Ah ok, still don't think it's enough for a drop in performance that you would notice.

I'm new to the VW brand so unless this is something specific to the mark then I still say it's probably running ok.

Is there another local one on here that you can take a trip in with an owner to compare ?.....
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

Yeahh probably is the case

Car just feels a bit "gravelly" compared to the nice crisp sound from when I picked it up..

Who knows

jammydodger
Silver Member
Drives: 6R GTI

Post by jammydodger »

FYI the ECU's 'learn' and adapt to the way you drive... If you've been driving around like miss daisy since you got it, the ECU power band may have become more linear so you don't get that big wack of power you did before. My cousin has this in his 330D, he 'resets' his ECU everyonce in a while by playing around with the brake pedal and start button and the car definitely feels more sprightly.
zim
New
Drives: Polo 6C, 1.2 TSI 90

Post by zim »

jammydodger wrote:FYI the ECU's 'learn' and adapt to the way you drive... If you've been driving around like miss daisy since you got it, the ECU power band may have become more linear so you don't get that big wack of power you did before.
This will be my new excuse if I ever get pulled over by the police for speeding. "No no, you see I'm just speeding because I'm doing ecu maintenance. It's still in it's learning phase and I don't want it to make my car all sluggish you know." :mrgreen:
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Personal opinion, you've just got used to it. Every car I've had has been faster than the last and they all feel stupidly fast at first. Then you get used to it. I'd never owned a sub 10s 0-62 car before my BlueGT and it felt insane the first few weeks. Now I'm used to the power, driving my wifes 1.2Tsi feels slow, even though it isn't. That's my main concern when I change again as the family sized cars I can afford are all back over 10s to 62mph and will feel really sluggish in comparison :(
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

Yeahh I did think that maybe ive just got used to it.. But if I can remember, the engine sounded perfect and sharp and on point when i picked it up.. Now it seems to make a fuss and sound very 'gravely' (only word i can use to describe)

lxm
Bronze Member

Post by lxm »

Have your timing chain and tensioner checked.
rsmagee
Silver Member
Drives: BlueGT (6C)

Post by rsmagee »

lancslad1985 wrote:Personal opinion, you've just got used to it. Every car I've had has been faster than the last and they all feel stupidly fast at first. Then you get used to it. I'd never owned a sub 10s 0-62 car before my BlueGT and it felt insane the first few weeks. Now I'm used to the power, driving my wifes 1.2Tsi feels slow, even though it isn't. That's my main concern when I change again as the family sized cars I can afford are all back over 10s to 62mph and will feel really sluggish in comparison :(
Im am in the exact same boat. Thats why im planning on getting one of the Golf GTI or Rs that are being sold right now when my PCP ends. VW offer the second hand cars with pcp so should work out nicely I hope!
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

I'll try resetting the ECU and see if that helps.. If not, ill admit defeat and conclude its just me whose now used to the car.