New GTI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
ratovan2
New
Drives: none

Re: New GTI

Post by ratovan2 »

I've gone for the DSG, although the torque is down, a remap can sort that, I would imagine the gearbox can handle some sort of increase as long as you don't go mad!

Although the golf gti gets a different DSG box I've seen large increases in power/torque without any mods to the gear box, and no reliability issues over long periods.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, Keep doing different quotes on orangewheels looking for the perfect balance between price and options driving the Mrs nuts so it`s all good
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

I wouldn't rush into remapping a dsg polo.

Mapping a manual more than 30Nm will take it past the "design limit" of the gear box
martinp
New
Drives: GTI

Post by martinp »

Dink wrote:I wouldn't rush into remapping a dsg polo.

Mapping a manual more than 30Nm will take it past the "design limit" of the gear box
I'll not be messing with my car anytime soon, bog standard will do me fine. Potentially in the future though I'll look into it.

Do you know where I can find technical info regarding the DSG gear box, interested in where you got you're info from regarding torque design limits on the manual.
sudsonsundaze
New
Drives: GTI

Post by sudsonsundaze »

For those of you that are experiencing the squeaking noises, do you have the 5 door or 3 door? Interesting if it is across both or from one factory in particular. Is it when turning the steering wheel or when braking, etc? Keep us all in the loop here, if it eventually disappears (as one of you said already), comes back or gets worse over time. VW will have to address this if it is a common issue. Mine not expected to arrive until Sept, so it better be OK!

On separate note, how are the speakers over the 6r ones? better or about the same?
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

I will probably looking to map mine after a year (used to have a 230/250 9n3) and searched to see what box was in the 6c gti.

It seems to be known as MQ350 and the dsq is a DQ200

Basically m (manual) q (transverse) 350 Nm.

Although it will take more as long as it isn't abused.

The weak point of the dsg is the dry clutches.
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Post by Redline »

If somebody's ordered a black one, there was one making its way down the A19 on the back of a transporter earlier!

In other news, my GTI is going in to VW on Saturday. Ridiculous levels of vibrating/rattling from behind the door cards. Drove another GTI couple of weeks ago, and it didn't rattle at all, so I'm getting it sorted!
skipster
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 GTI

Post by skipster »

Dink wrote:I wouldn't rush into remapping a dsg polo.

Yes - I could not agree more on that one, you really don't want to put additional stress on the DSG unit. There was a reason for the DSG having less torque than the manual, for sure there would be a little inbuilt 'tolerance' but if anything were to go 'bang', VW could refuse to pay out on warranty if they find out. Not worth it IMHO.
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI 5 door Black M6

Post by Penarth Blues »

A week or so in and this car is ridiculously good - I'd avoided putting my foot down until now as I wanted a few miles on the clock, but couldn't resist 1 quick play today... acceleration in 2nd in the manual GTI is astonishing for a car that will also provide mid-40's mpg on the motorway, and it wasn't even in Sport mode.

Once they introduce Carplay for the iPhone later this year (£100 option it seems - I went into the main dealer today and had a long chat with their Tech guy. Apparently it'll be released later this year under the Mirrorlink software platform - which makes some sense I guess) I can't think of anything else I would want from a small, nippy car.

A very happy bunny considering I bought the car sight unseen - I'd never even sat in one before deciding to go for it. Perhaps it's just relief...
afk
New
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Post by afk »

Finally got it cleaned! Gotta make most out of these sunny days :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shark00n
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI 6C

Post by Shark00n »

One more :wink:

Steigerz
New
Drives: Polo GTi

Post by Steigerz »

All these pics drool... :)

So gents tell us what the new headlights are like, I've heard little to know discussion about them. The DRL's during the day? The LED's at night?

Are they better than the xenon's we used on the 6R?
Tooks
Bronze Member
Drives: 2011 Polo GTI

Post by Tooks »

Dink wrote:I will probably looking to map mine after a year (used to have a 230/250 9n3) and searched to see what box was in the 6c gti.

It seems to be known as MQ350 and the dsq is a DQ200

Basically m (manual) q (transverse) 350 Nm.

Although it will take more as long as it isn't abused.

The weak point of the dsg is the dry clutches.
Got to agree here, my car is just back from the garage after having its clutch packs replaced.

The car started to judder in 2nd gear when pulling out of junctions, particularly when the car was hot.

It was really only when driving normally, if you gave it a bit more throttle, it sort of got masked.

My car has had a tuning box on it for the last 20,000 miles.

Having said that, I have read a few posts here and on the Skoda forums where standard cars have started doing the same, so it seems the 7 speed dry clutch DSG units in the GTI are right on the edge of their torque tolerances already.

I'm undecided whether to put the box back on to be honest, it's still a quick car standard after all, but I've got an intercooler to fit which I might just do and stick with, should be a nice round 190bhp or so then.

I know this is the 6C GTI thread, but the DQ200 DSG box is the same as on the 6R, and you should just be aware that a remap plus some 'enthusiastic' driving will likely mean new clutch packs down the road. I guess the torque limit is in place for a reason! :D
Drew1990
New
Drives: 6C Polo Gti

Post by Drew1990 »

Shark00n wrote:What a machiiiine! :mrgreen:

I'll post some better pics later. I took the day off so gotta go climb some hills now :D

Deep Black Pearl looks amazing in the sun!

There's so much stuff going on inside with Cruise-Control, the radio and it's huge list of settings, but no manual needed to enjoy those 192 horsies :D

*EDIT:
One little question, isn't the 6C GTI supposed to come with a shark style antenna?

Nice ride shark00n,

Just ordered my Polo Gti 6C last week but it looks like I'm looking at a September delivery date, counting the weeks by now :D

Went for the following options;

3dr Manual
Deep Black Pearl
Convenience pack
Parking Pack
Front arm rest
Swindled this with a full tank of fuel and Guardx for a really good deal, well so I think.

The only other options I was thinking about getting were the car-net connect, and the winter pack.

Question on the car-net option - have any of you got this and is it something you can only add when ordering?
JohnPolo
Silver Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI

Post by JohnPolo »

As well as the new engine, I had a new DSG clutch pack under warranty for my 2010 GTI. Even though my 2015 GTI DSG feels a different beast I am respectful of it. :wink:
Tooks
Bronze Member
Drives: 2011 Polo GTI

Post by Tooks »

I've done 80 miles in mine today, and I have to say the DSG is running as sweet as a nut, the best it's ever felt to be honest.

They had my car for quite a while, replaced both clutch packs and updated the software. They spent quite a bit of time 'shimming' and then performing adaptations to get the box working as it should, and it would appear they have done a great job.

They had a new Polo GTI in when I went to collect it, a demonstrator, another 5 door white one with plenty of options fitted. They urged me to take it out for a drive, unaccompanied, and I duly obliged. It was the manual box, and as usual a nice pleasant gear change, but the most noticeable thing was the new engine which I really liked. It felt 'unburstable' and reminded me a bit of my old S3, albeit not as quick.

I also like the look of the new LED DRL's, and the face lifted dash is quite nice too.

Dislikes included the new steering wheel, which seems to have lost something in its new iteration, the alloys which seem a bit fussy, the towering ride height, and the ruddy sound actuator! It reminded me how much I prefer mine with it disconnected, mixed with a bit of supercharger whine. 8)

When I got back, they said it was for sale. Unfortunately, the price with all the options was quite frankly laughable.

I had been hoping for a Polo R this year, but now it seems that has been canned, not sure where I'll go next.