New GTI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Redline
Sponsor
Drives: Skoda Octavia vRS

Re: New GTI

Post by Redline »

martinp wrote:
Gti20156r wrote:Thanks. Mine is coming as a 3dr manual with the sports button option, in white with satnav and winter pack. Interestingly I have read previously that the sports button initiates peak torque earlier in the Rev range? I'm not sure how true this is, but surely an advantage that is being overlooked in reviews?

Thats true. I contacted VW about this and they called me detailing how the sport button affects the torque of the engine. Pretty much as you describe, max torque is available lower in the rev range when you press the sport button.
To be honest, having met a fair few car journalists, don't be surprised that they don't go into full technical details for something like the Polo GTI. If it's not mentioned specifically in the press release, or pointed out explicitly in the presentation at the launch, it'll probably not be included in a review.

Also, many just revert to stereotype. Cue the Polo GTI "well-built, safe handling, ultimately lacks fun" type reviews that you'll see out there. Relatedly, EVO describing the engine as feeling "strangled" at the top-end is either a) not true, or b) someone's fitted my GTI with a different engine!
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

i'm wondering if you could have a remap operated from the sport button?
grth_bbtt
New
Drives: Soon to be GTI

Post by grth_bbtt »

Very jealous of all these new GTI's everyone is receiving!
Hopefully get my build date within the next few weeks as ordered mid May.
Looking forward to putting my 75HP 1.0 UP! to the side :P
Andy4791
Silver Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2015

Post by Andy4791 »

grth_bbtt wrote:Very jealous of all these new GTI's everyone is receiving!
Looking forward to putting my 75HP 1.0 UP! to the side [emoji14]
Don't hold your breath m8, ordered in Feb an still no build date lol
Drew1990
New
Drives: 6C Polo Gti

Post by Drew1990 »

Andy4791 wrote:
Looking forward to putting my 75HP 1.0 UP! to the side [emoji14]
Don't hold your breath m8, ordered in Feb an still no build date lol
I'm still awaiting my build date too :cry: checking the tracker every day like a kid at christmas!
DMacc4
New
Drives: VW

Post by DMacc4 »

I didn't even receive an order number and had no contact with the dealer since ordering. I should probably contact them but I'm not ready for the bad news yet.
grth_bbtt
New
Drives: Soon to be GTI

Post by grth_bbtt »

Wow, wait times are really seeming to get longer and longer. Was hoping end of July for a build date but it's anyones guess now as to when!
ThisIsBarcode
New
Drives: 6c

Post by ThisIsBarcode »

Looking forward to putting my 75HP 1.0 UP! to the side :P
I saw mine last night…sorted the last paperwork and free insurance whilst at dealership…ready for collection 9am Saturday :D I was quoted a 12 week wait…think it will work out at about 11 weeks in total…maybe a bit less. Either way, it's gone quickly.
blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Post by blackertracker »

Last edited by blackertracker on Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy4791
Silver Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2015

Post by Andy4791 »

https://youtu.be/w4pzKCnJRyc

Good real world review here folks for all us waiting
DMacc4
New
Drives: VW

Post by DMacc4 »

blackertracker wrote:Couple more pix to show Flash Red in direct sunlight... though the camera has overexposed a bit.

That panoramic sunroof really sets it apart. Looks stunning mate. Initially went for red myself but changed to pearl black since my current car is red. Maybe that was a hasty decision.
ThisIsBarcode
New

Post by ThisIsBarcode »

Andy4791 wrote:https://youtu.be/w4pzKCnJRyc

Just watched that. Nice review…he summed up about the comparison with the ST nicely at the end, that day to day living, the GTi is better. The amount of drivel I've had sent to me on YouTube from "ST Fans" the last few weeks after commenting on GTi videos is ridiculous :x
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI 5 door Black M6

Post by Penarth Blues »

Andy4791 wrote:https://youtu.be/w4pzKCnJRyc

I think that's a decent summary of the car - with the main point to emphasise being that it feels properly classy rather than flash. If you want a car to draw attention (wanted and unwanted) then this probably isn't it, but if you want a car that can really compete in real-life driving when needed but also do the 98% everyday drive beautifully then you'll struggle to find a better car in my view.

The Blue GT would be the other alternative if you want to emphasise mpg over performance a little more, as well as tone the looks down even further. However, if you've ordered this car I think you'll still be smiling a year down the line when you realise you really do have a car for all occasions. I've had 17 to 77 y/o's saying how good it looks so it's doing something very rare in straddling such a range of needs and opinions.

Right now I'm just enjoying the acceleration in this thing - it's truly sensational when you want to go quickly, to the extent that I'm still recalibrating my reactions a bit. The first time I properly opened it up to join onto a M-way it took me by surprise and I've had to learn to concentrate harder and react a little quicker. There was just a little bit of fear shown... Such is the difference between driving a powerful torquey diesel and a powerful high revving petrol. I've driven a 280 Caterham before now but even its acceleration didn't surprise me as much as this one.
ThisIsBarcode
New

Post by ThisIsBarcode »

I've had an Abarth 500 for the last two years and whilst it's an amazing drive…puts a smile on my face and sounds amazing…there is times where the fuel consumption, size and hard ride do get a bit tedious. It also tends to attract a lot of boy racers who want to sit next to me revving away. :lol:
blackertracker
Bronze Member
Drives: ..

Post by blackertracker »

Good summary Penarth Blues.

The Polo has a lot of torque in the mid range for a small car and is what you feel most often in real world driving - booting it up a slip road from 30 - 70 for example - and this makes it very easy for 'making progress'. The engine is so flexible you can leave it in 6th in many situations but still have a good turn of acceleration if you need it, which also makes it a safe car to drive too.

It's a cracking hot hatchback and no mistake. I also love the DCC with the Sport Kit and having the choice of a comfortable, fine handling, smooth cruiser or a firmly damped taut cornering machine.

You have no choice in the Fiesta ST but to put up with its jiggly ride all the time to compensate for its excellent handling on twisty roads, when you're in the mood to exploit it. However I've tested the Polo on the bumpy B-roads that I enjoy driving down and in my opinion the ST is too hard for them on a regular basis. Indeed the experienced salesman who demoed the ST to me was very interested in my opinion of the Polo GTI and admitted that for him the ST was too uncomfortable, citing a long motorway journey that he found irritating as the car never settled down.