RCD510 DAB (Bosch) faint noise even when turned off.

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
LeeT96
Bronze Member
Drives: 6R R-Line 1.2 TSI 105

RCD510 DAB (Bosch) faint noise even when turned off.

Post by LeeT96 »

Today I installed my RCD 510 DAB unit into my car and when I turn the volume all the way down there is a faint "hissing"/"high pitched" noise coming from the unit itself.

This even happens when the radio is turned off aswell as when the car is turned off and the keys are not in the igniton..
Any ideas?
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 Polo GTI 5 door Black M6

Re: RCD510 DAB (Bosch) faint noise even when turned off.

Post by Penarth Blues »

LeeT96 wrote:Today I installed my RCD 510 DAB unit into my car and when I turn the volume all the way down there is a faint "hissing"/"high pitched" noise coming from the unit itself.

This even happens when the radio is turned off aswell as when the car is turned off and the keys are not in the igniton..
Any ideas?
You've connected it directly to the battery it seems. You should have connected it via a switched connection. You'll have to rectify this or the battery will drain when you leave the car undriven for a few days
LeeT96
Bronze Member

Post by LeeT96 »

Penarth Blues wrote:
LeeT96 wrote:Today I installed my RCD 510 DAB unit into my car and when I turn the volume all the way down there is a faint "hissing"/"high pitched" noise coming from the unit itself.

Any ideas?
You've connected it directly to the battery it seems. You should have connected it via a switched connection. You'll have to rectify this or the battery will drain when you leave the car undriven for a few days
But it uses the exact same connection as the RCD310DAB I removed just before? I believe they are ISO connections? How come it is only happening just now?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Penarth Blues
Bronze Member

Post by Penarth Blues »

LeeT96 wrote:
Penarth Blues wrote:

Any ideas?
But it uses the exact same connection as the RCD310DAB I removed just before? I believe they are ISO connections? How come it is only happening just now?

Without seeing what you've done it's impossible to say, other than it is clear the new radio is still getting power when it shouldn't or you're hearing something else that isn't the radio.
LeeT96
Bronze Member

Post by LeeT96 »

Penarth Blues wrote:
LeeT96 wrote:
Penarth Blues wrote: You've connected it directly to the battery it seems. You should have connected it via a switched connection. You'll have to rectify this or the battery will drain when you leave the car undriven for a few days

Without seeing what you've done it's impossible to say, other than it is clear the new radio is still getting power when it shouldn't or you're hearing something else that isn't the radio.
It's literally plug and play exact same connector(s) as the RCD310 that was in from factory

Penarth Blues
Bronze Member

Post by Penarth Blues »

Really not sure what you want me to say now? If I understand it correctly you've taken out one radio which didn't do this and replaced it with another one that does. So clearly something has changed or gone wrong.

Perhaps the wiring in the new unit is not the same as the old one? I'd personally look online next and check that the two radios both use the same cables and wiring layouts. After that I do not have a clue - only you will know if you've changed anything else at all.

A hissing noise from speakers is not uncommon when nothing is playing and the unit is on, but could also indicate you've turned up the gain on an input more than it should be - possibly the gain from the Bluetooth connection if it has one? Best of luck with sorting this out - these things are a pain...
LeeT96
Bronze Member

Post by LeeT96 »

Penarth Blues wrote:Really not sure what you want me to say now? If I understand it correctly you've taken out one radio which didn't do this and replaced it with another one that does. So clearly something has changed or gone wrong.

Perhaps the wiring in the new unit is not the same as the old one? I'd personally look online next and check that the two radios both use the same cables and wiring layouts. After that I do not have a clue - only you will know if you've changed anything else at all.

A hissing noise from speakers is not uncommon when nothing is playing and the unit is on, but could also indicate you've turned up the gain on an input more than it should be - possibly the gain from the Bluetooth connection if it has one? Best of luck with sorting this out - these things are a pain...
Sorry I didn't want to or mean to come off as rude. I unlocked my car this morning and I don't believe it was making the noise. I think it may just be turning itself completely off(if that makes sense)
The engine started up first time, taking no longer than usual... Hopefully everything will be okay as I knew it would be too good to be true knowing my luck with "plug and play"
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

The RCD510 wakes when you unlock the car, and will sleep after locking the car - its quite normal for them to stay on after the engine has been turned off.
jobbercete
Getting There!
Drives: Polo 6R 1.2 TSI 90cv Sport

Post by jobbercete »

I would say that perhaps what you're listening is the little fan that refrigerated the unit at the back? Mine keeps working a few minutes after I turn off the ignition if I've used the sat nav or even just using the radio for let's say 30 min drive... :roll: