Bronze Member

Re: New Black GTI 5Dr

Post by C17LJR »

Very nice!
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

Plates arrived from Demon plates Top service. Went for raised lettering in the end with the GB logo. Must as I hate to have it on the car if I do go abroad I don't want to slap an ugly GB sticker on it.
Just waiting for the DVLA to give me the go-ahead and I'll fit them, probably next week.
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

Got fed up with the headlights being on all the time. To me it didn't make sense for switch position one to be all lights, 2 to be sidelights only and 3 to be all lights again. What is the point of sidelights?

So I used the excellent guide posted by phayth here:

http://www.uk-polos.net/view ... rl#p453355

.....and bent back lower pin 3 of the light switch. Hey presto, sidelights only, on all the time.
raul_sbd
New

Post by raul_sbd »

Is it v difficult to pull out the switch? Also did you find any problems after you did the alteration, lights on the dash? etc?

Im thinking on doing it but i dont want to cause any problems to the electrics of the car.

Regards
hornmeister wrote:Got fed up with the headlights being on all the time. To me it didn't make sense for switch position one to be all lights, 2 to be sidelights only and 3 to be all lights again. What is the point of sidelights?

.....and bent back lower pin 3 of the light switch. Hey presto, sidelights only, on all the time.
raul_sbd
New

Post by raul_sbd »

raul_sbd wrote:Is it v difficult to pull out the switch? Also did you find any problems after you did the alteration, lights on the dash? etc?

Im thinking on doing it but i dont want to cause any problems to the electrics of the car.

Regards
hornmeister wrote:Got fed up with the headlights being on all the time. To me it didn't make sense for switch position one to be all lights, 2 to be sidelights only and 3 to be all lights again. What is the point of sidelights?

Done and succesful!! Wonderful now only comes the sidelights on 0 and 1 position!! ;)

THank you lads
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

The Git's plates are now on and he's benefited from a free car wash.

Considering a shark's fin aerial next.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shark-Fin-Aer ... 4d0d8ed3ae

Looks like a decent no hassle option for £20 with the ability to return back to normal if required.
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

Shark fin fitted Pictures to follow when it's not peeing down.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Newest-design ... 4174aeab23

Took about 2 weeks to come from China and is a decent fit. Simply unscrew the factory standard aerial, leaving the base intact. Screw in the cable for the fin and it sticks over the top or the existing base. No need for trim removal or wiring and with a little heat & patience will be removable. I've not seen any loss in signal on FM or DAB but I'm in a good reception area. The seller was a decent chap checking with me what colour I wanted before despatching. Will post up pics when I can.
gregperkins
Gold Member
Drives: 2011 Ibis White Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport

Re: Meister's Black GTI 5Dr - The Git

Post by gregperkins »

hornmeister wrote:Shark fin fitted Pictures to follow when it's not peeing down.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Newest-design ... 4174aeab23

Took about 2 weeks to come from China and is a decent fit. Simply unscrew the factory standard aerial, leaving the base intact. Screw in the cable for the fin and it sticks over the top or the existing base. No need for trim removal or wiring and with a little heat & patience will be removable. I've not seen any loss in signal on FM or DAB but I'm in a good reception area. The seller was a decent chap checking with me what colour I wanted before despatching. Will post up pics when I can.
I like the idea of that shark fin! Great solution to not having to drop headlining etc!

Does it suit the car when fitted mate?

Cheers :D
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

I think so. Also stops the little local tealeafs nicking the stock one. Only advice I'd give is to use a slightly thicker more spongy adhesive pad than supplied. It's not a perfect flush finish with the roof surface otherwise.

Still weeing down here but hope to get a pic up in the next day or so.
gregperkins
Gold Member
Drives: 2011 Ibis White Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport

Post by gregperkins »

hornmeister wrote:I think so. Also stops the little local tealeafs nicking the stock one. Only advice I'd give is to use a slightly thicker more spongy adhesive pad than supplied. It's not a perfect flush finish with the roof surface otherwise.

Still weeing down here but hope to get a pic up in the next day or so.
Ordered one of these earlier :D

Use a thicker pad? Doesn't that raise it even more man :)?
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

Using a thicker pad I'd recommend as the curve of the roof isn't exactly the same as the underside of the fin. It will fit better.

Here's a couple of quick pics I took this morning. I think it suits the car.

hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

Update after 6 months. 2080 miles covered ( I know I don't get out much).
1 litre of oil taken as it was gasping. Hopefully it'll settle down a bit.

Average MPG short journeys around town up to 33 mpg
Just done a long trip opp north motorway (a touch over the speedlimit guv but only slightly) anywhere between 45 & 53mpg

Interioir light was convinced a dorr was open the other day, but that seems to have rectified itself.
No further issues, the squeaky suspesion at slow speeds seems to have almost gone and apart from a couple of dsg episodes with a quick start & emergency stop, it's smooth as my mum's custard.

No mods planned apart from LED numberplate lights.

Still loving loving the car and still not seen another 8) .
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

Saw my first other GTI on the road this morning. A white 3 door. I gave the driver a thumbs up and he scowled at me. :cry:
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

Now seen 2 others having met nonamecc79 who also has a black GTI 5Dr.

They really are rare as rocking horse doo doo. According to
http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/vo ... ti_s-a_180

1067 on the road in the UK, 12 SORN.
hornmeister
Bronze Member

Post by hornmeister »

After 9 breakdowns in 9500 I've finally got shot of it - Plate returned to original

Sad to see it go because it was an absolute hoot when it worked, but the grief it gave me and lack of decent customer care offered by my dealer and VW head office mean that I had to take the money and run. I won't be buying VW for a long time, if ever again. Things go wrong, it's understandable. How a company deals with problems separates good from bad and VW in my eyes need to have a complete culture change.

Of note the dealer has listed it for sale with a substantial mark-up.