Does anyone know...?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Dec
New
Drives: Polo R-Line 110 3dr

Does anyone know...?

Post by Dec »

Finally got the deal I was after and bought the R-Line I had my eye on. It's my first VW (third car) and after collecting a fortnight or so ago, am really happy with the way it looks and drives. Beyond some appalling customer service after making the purchase, the only thing I'm disappointed about so far is the fact there's only one reverse light, which I find strange.

But I was wondering... the salesman claimed that once I get the car into sixth gear, the Bluemotion technology shuts down one of the three cylinders and uses only the other two: does anyone know how accurate this is? Part of the reason I ask is because I then asked if the car rotated which of the three cylinders was not in use, to prevent the other two that might always be working wearing out more quickly, and not only did he not know but I've not been able to find the answer online since.
Oli3000
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 1.0tsi 110 6spd man SEL

Re: Does anyone know...?

Post by Oli3000 »

He is completely wrong. VW make no 3 cyclinder engine with as active cylinder technology (or cylinder shutdown if you will). The new Ford Fiesta is going to have 3 cyclinder turbos with cylinder shutdown, and they will be a market first!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

The only Polo that has an engine with ACT (active cylinder technology) is the 1.4 four cylinder unit that's fitted to the Blue GT model. Not even the Polo Bluemotion model that's marketed by VW as the most fuel efficient petrol engined Polo and sub-100 g/km CO2 emissions has ACT.

The salesman is talking rubbish. I wonder how many customers he's mislead with incorrect information?

I think that most, if not all, VW cars have only a single reversing light, and also only one rear fog light too. I think some other manufacturers also adopt this approach. It's been like that for many years with VW; not good for visibility when reversing in the dark, although VW would probably say the purpose of the reversing light is to indicate to others that you are reversing!
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

:D Cars that do have cylinder shut down do not usually alternate the inactive cylinders. When the technology was pioneered by General Motors on their V8 it was proposed to alternate inactive cylinder banks but it transpired that wear patterns were identical in both states. The piston still goes up and down so friction wear is the same. There was concern that dry running would cause wear but that can be discounted as the period of inactivity is short and controlled by the ECU in such a way to keep the motor safe.

Doesn't apply to your engine but it's nice to know anyway.
nopixar
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI Match 6C

Post by nopixar »

As others have stated 1.4 blue GT is the only polo with ACT and it's a four cylinder. All polos have one white reversing light and one red fog light on the opposite side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
derkie54
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo 1.0 110PS TSI SEL 5 Door

Post by derkie54 »

I have the same 3 cylinder 110ps engine as you and it does not have cylinder shutdown............ but it is a great little engine.
Dec
New

Post by Dec »

Thanks, all. Yeah, I suspected that was the case. Fortunately I'd decided I wanted the car before he said that, not afterwards; I'd have been fuming if that'd made my mind up and then learnt it wasn't true.

I'm tempted to email the salesman to let him know he's mistaken, but my first impression was he wasn't to be trusted so it's likely he already knows.

Thank you again for the above, and agreed, it seems a great little engine so far: in no way what you'd expect of a 1.0 litre, or three cylinders.
Bigtam
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2016

Post by Bigtam »

No salesmen are to be trusted :lol:
boydeee
New
Drives: Mk7 Golf GTI PP

Post by boydeee »

Sounds great! (Aside from the salesman!)

Have you posted any pics yet?
Dec
New

Post by Dec »

No, but there's a reason for that: horrible stone chip on the front when I got there, that they've agreed to spray, but only just had the appointment for this confirmed...