factory fitted tyres

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
vwpolo16v
Bronze Member

factory fitted tyres

Post by vwpolo16v »

About to pick up a 12month old 6C Edition Match with just over 5000 on the clock. 2017 plate.
Full HPI check passed with one owner.

All good.

But I noticed it has Hankook kinergy Eco tyres all round and very good condition.

It's been a while since I changed the Polo but I thought VW factory fitted tyres were all Continentals.
Googled but there's seems no way to find out the makes of factory tyres fitted in 2017.

Anyone have any ideas ?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: factory fitted tyres

Post by SRGTD »

VW will have contracts with a number different tyre manufacturers to supply tyres for new cars; not just Continental. If VW restricted themselves to a single tyre manufacturer and that manufacturer had issues in supplying tyres, it could severely affect vehicle production.

I’ve just had a look at a selection of late date 6c Polo Match and Match Edition models in the used cars section of VW’s website, and the cars I looked at had Hankook, Continental and Dunlop’s fitted.

With the current model Polo, one forum member in the mk10 / AW section of the forum recently took delivery of their new Polo SEL and it had Falkens fitted. New Polo GTI’s currently have either Bridgestone (18” wheels) or Michelin (17” wheels) fitted.

So, it can be pot luck on which brand of tyres VW will fit to a specific car, and based on the pictures of late date Polos on VW’s website, Hankook is a supplier to VW. And with the car you’re interested in having only covered 5,000 miles, the Hankook tyres will almost certainly be the tyres that were fitted in the factory.
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

I can confirm that VW factory-fitted Hankooks to many 6C's during 2017. I bought, from a local VW dealership, a brand new Match Edition 1.2 in the latter half of 2017, opting for the 15-inch wheels, and it came with Hankooks at the corners. Had never heard of that brand before, but as a set of all-seasons tyre on the vehicle I find them quite acceptable. Probably not the quietest of tyres around - Michelin probably takes the prize for that - but I can find little reason to want to change them for that - and believe me, I get easily annoyed by tyre/road noise. Can't tell what longterm wear will be like, but then again I don't drive like a madman and my annual mileage these days is low. Ride comfort with them isn't at all bad, I find. Keep them inflated on the slightly soft side, except for when the car's fully loaded.
vwpolo16v
Bronze Member

Post by vwpolo16v »

@SRGTD and @veetran thanks for your inputs.

Never thought of looking at other for-sale cars photos...doh. I'l have to remember that :D

looks like Hankook are gonna be OK.

I know Fords use them a lots but never seen them on VW.

Thanks guys.