6R. 1.2 3 cylinder starting issues.

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
salways1
New
Drives: 1.2 3 cylinder

6R. 1.2 3 cylinder starting issues.

Post by salways1 »

Hi all, my lad is running a 3cylinder 1.2 polo as his daily due to being 17 and the costs these days of insurance. Car has 39k on the clock and is a 2012 model. Recently he has had starting problems that involve cranking the engine over for a while before it fires, when it starts it sounds like it’s running on 2 cylinders before the third kicks in and if you let it return to idle when first started it dies. Once warm it flies and runs no problem. I have done the plugs and coils but no real improvement. Anyone any useful tips before I call in the garage? Thanks in advance👍🏻
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: 6R. 1.2 3 cylinder starting issues.

Post by RUM4MO »

So, in simple terms that should only leave the engine coolant temperature sensor or an injector.

After that it will be down to either engine wear or maybe just a (cylinder head?) wiring issue that clears once the engine warms up.

Not the best idea to commit to remote diagnosis.

Edit:- static engine timing?
MarcoPolo2012
New
Drives: 2012 6R 1.2 3 Cylinder

Re: 6R. 1.2 3 cylinder starting issues.

Post by MarcoPolo2012 »

Hi, how did you fix this?

My wife's Polo has the exact same starting issue. When cold it will only start if you turn it over for a long time and press hard on the accelerator pedal. I've checked the G62 Engine Outlet Coolant Temperature Sensor and it looks to be working fine. No faults identified using ODBeleven, except occasional misfires that are associated to the starting problem. Once the car has started, it is fine for the rest of the day and starts instantly on first turn of the key. Next morning (when it's completely cold) the starting issue returns. I've changed the battery, ignition coils, and spark plugs were changed when it was serviced recently. Two garages have had a look but neither could find anything wrong; however, both were starting it when engine was warm. Their ODBII diagnostics also reported no faults found.

Car: Volkswagen Polo
Year: 2012
Body type: 5-dr hatchback
Engine: CGPB 44 kW (60 HP) 1.2 l
Mileage: 120180 KM / 74.6 K miles

Also, does anyone know if this CGPB 3 cylinder 1.2 ltr engine has an EGR valve?

...and, does it have just a G62 Engine Outlet Coolant Temperature Sensor OR both G62 Engine and G83 Radiator Outlet Coolant Temperature Sensors?