GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by S_94 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:31 pm
S_94 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:20 pm
phillos wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:19 pm

Flipping the stick backwards makes the gearbox only change to sport.
Thanks phillos :)
S-mode only changes the change up/down thresholds of the gearbox, holding onto the lower gears for longer - and affecting your mpg noticeably. Better to have full throttle sensitivity in Sport mode all the time and gearbox in D than Normal mode on engine and gearbox in S. Then flick gearbox into S if you need it. If you are in Sport mode and bury the throttle, the car will switch to lowest gear your speed will allow (without red lining) to accelerate anyway.
Cheers monkey.

So do you always drive with the car in Sport mode but gearbox on 'D'? If so does it affect your mpg much?

I've been driving on Normal mode and averaging 34-37mpg on my work commute.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

S_94 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:50 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:31 pm
S_94 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:20 pm

Thanks phillos :)
S-mode only changes the change up/down thresholds of the gearbox, holding onto the lower gears for longer - and affecting your mpg noticeably. Better to have full throttle sensitivity in Sport mode all the time and gearbox in D than Normal mode on engine and gearbox in S. Then flick gearbox into S if you need it. If you are in Sport mode and bury the throttle, the car will switch to lowest gear your speed will allow (without red lining) to accelerate anyway.
Cheers monkey.

So do you always drive with the car in Sport mode but gearbox on 'D'? If so does it affect your mpg much?

I've been driving on Normal mode and averaging 34-37mpg on my work commute.

I always run with individual mode and set everything to Sport except suspension (Normal) and engine noise (Eco - because I'm not a fan of the fake noise).

The difference between Sport and normal engine output is the throttle response, you can drive the car the same way in the same 2 modes, but press the accelerator less in Sport mode to achieve the same thing and mpg will be unaffected. You might end up driving the car harder in Sport mode - but that'll be a lack of self control on your part.
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Thanks mate. Gave those settings a go this morning and enjoyed the drive a lot more.
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

Got my first rattle in the GTI this morning. Doing 50mph and quite a loud rattle from what sounded so clear to be coming from the dash. Tried pressing various parts to no avail and then remembered the stories of the hand brake button being a culprit. Put my hand over the button and the rattling stopped. Bloody handbrake button!

Anyone had any success with VW fixing this? Or even better some home remedies as really don't want to take the car all the way back just for a handbrake button
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

l3rady wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:25 pm Got my first rattle in the GTI this morning. Doing 50mph and quite a loud rattle from what sounded so clear to be coming from the dash. Tried pressing various parts to no avail and then remembered the stories of the hand brake button being a culprit. Put my hand over the button and the rattling stopped. Bloody handbrake button!

Anyone had any success with VW fixing this? Or even better some home remedies as really don't want to take the car all the way back just for a handbrake button
I sprayed some silicone spray down the handbrake button and, touch wood, seems to have cured mine :-)
l3rady
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+ 2019

Post by l3rady »

MilgeS wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:08 pm I sprayed some silicone spray down the handbrake button and, touch wood, seems to have cured mine :-)
Thanks, I'll give that a go. Did you do any dismantling or just spray around the gap of the button?
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

l3rady wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:55 pm
MilgeS wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:08 pm I sprayed some silicone spray down the handbrake button and, touch wood, seems to have cured mine :-)
Thanks, I'll give that a go. Did you do any dismantling or just spray around the gap of the button?
Just around the gap, had some tissue underneath just in case of spillage
firecloud7
New
Drives: MK10 GTI+

Post by firecloud7 »

Hi all, due to moving for work I am regrettably putting my '18 Pearl Black GTI+ up for sale, with just 9,500 miles on the clock and no mechanical or physical faults whatsoever. It's been an absolute blast to own.

If you'd be interested, see my ad on the selling section of the forum here: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=73375
paulrodgers7
Getting There!
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi + White/black roof

Post by paulrodgers7 »

Hi there I just wanted to add a little update about my owners experience so far, I am 2 weeks in and 750 miles covered and I will have to say I am loving this car more and more everyday. This is my first ever GTi and my first automatic transmission and after driving manual for 25 years I will never go back to manual.

I just cannot convey how much I enjoy driving this motor, if I was to describe it in one word it word be ‘Effortless’
Attachments
IMG_3357.JPEG
IMG_3355.JPEG
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

First time I've owned an auto too, but given a choice, I'd have opted to a manual. DSG can only anticipate your wishes so far, I do still find it not doing what I want on occasion, usually wanting to accelerate hard from 45 when the car's in 6th. Going 6th to 3rd directly in a manual is a hell of a lot quicker than the DSG box can do it. DSG seems to feather in the gear change, making it effectively quite slow to be in full engagement to accelerate. It's less hard work in stop-start traffic - the main advantage for me.

Previous experience of driving my dad's DSG Golfs vs my manual ones, DSG is about 10% thirstier like for like.

I don't hate it, but given the choice, I'd still pick manual.

Comparing our old (8k miles, 11 months old, no GPF) and new (1k miles, 6 weeks old, GPF) Polo GTI+, the old one is noticeably quicker (most noticeable in 3rd gear acceleration) and about 5% more fuel efficient. I hope that's longer term running in gains for the newer car's sake.
phillos
Bronze Member
Drives: '19 Polo (AW)

GTI and GTI plus owners experiences

Post by phillos »

Im looking for input from other owners regarding the gearbox.

Having done less than 1000km so far, I’m a bit worried about what seems like hard shifts to and from 2nd gear.

TL;DR

Hard shifts into 2nd gear (1>2 and 3<2). Feels like a slight jolt. Nothing major, but still noticeable over all other gear shifts.

Should I be worried?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

phillos wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:15 pm Im looking for input from other owners regarding the gearbox.

Having done less than 1000km so far, I’m a bit worried about what seems like hard shifts to and from 2nd gear.

TL;DR

Hard shifts into 2nd gear (1>2 and 3<2). Feels like a slight jolt. Nothing major, but still noticeable over all other gear shifts.

Should I be worried?
It's smooth in both my GTI+ (with and without GPF). Only gad it jolt once first to second. Put my foot down hard to get away from a standstill and eased off. Second gear then came with a jolt - presumably because the car had expected me to be hard on the accelerator when the change came in. I did something the car didn't expect.

The gearbox acts on what it expects you to want, based on your inputs. When you do the unpredictable you can catch the gearbox out. The gearbox doesn't adapt to you, you adapt to it, subconsciously or otherwise.

How often are your jolting gearshifts? If it's all the time then you may have an issue.
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

My 1-2 is fine but my 3-2 is a little odd.
When slowing from third to second, the gear doesn't fully engage.
You can feel the car slowing but the revs are at 1k. So you know the clutches are slipping and slowing the vehicle down.

Is this what you are experiencing ?
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

After dropping the car off Saturday for them to look at it, over my concerns about the inner wheel arches the dealer tells me that they have found nothing wrong with it. But they would like me to go drive the car with a tech present and replicate what caused the issue. Which in the dealers crowded car lot will be impossible to replicate
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

Nora wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:14 am After dropping the car off Saturday for them to look at it, over my concerns about the inner wheel arches the dealer tells me that they have found nothing wrong with it. But they would like me to go drive the car with a tech present and replicate what caused the issue. Which in the dealers crowded car lot will be impossible to replicate
I would imagine they mean for you to take the tech out with you on a drive on the road not just in their car park?

I will say however that mine has done the odd hard shift in to 2nd, esp first thing in the morning\when the car has been sat a few hours, my previous car (2016 Leon 1.8tsi with the dry clutch 7sp DSG) used to do this every now and then as well, I am a bit surprised the wet clutch box in my GTi also does it, it's like the gearbox catches itself out when it changes to 3rd gear.

Mine is also making the strange warbling, wheel bearing like noise that stops when the brake is touched, I can't be bothered to take it back again at the moment as the dealers "head tech" claims he heard nothing when he drove it even though another tech I took out in it clearly did hear it! I am hoping it either gets worse\something fails or it goes away (it's not going away!)