Hatchback Trim Panel Removal

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
TurboTrev
Getting There!
Drives: Golf CS

Hatchback Trim Panel Removal

Post by TurboTrev »

Does anyone know how to remove the big black internal hatchback panel? Thanks.
P1060828.JPG
Slider09
Getting There!
Drives: 2015 Polo 1.2 SE

Re: Hatchback Trim Panel Removal

Post by Slider09 »

Remove the two screws, 1 in each pull area.
Use a trim tool to go around the edge prying the trim loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

What are you doing to remove itTrev? Rear dashcam?
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

Slider09 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:56 pm Remove the two screws, 1 in each pull area.

Except there are 4 screews. Rest is just prying
Slider09
Getting There!
Drives: 2015 Polo 1.2 SE

Post by Slider09 »

Dark_cze wrote:
Slider09 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:56 pm Remove the two screws, 1 in each pull area.

Except there are 4 screews. Rest is just prying
Sorry, just noticed this is on cars from 2018.

Apologies

TurboTrev
Getting There!

Post by TurboTrev »

Dark_cze wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:02 pm

Except there are 4 screews. Rest is just prying.
Thanks chaps. Where are the other 2 screws? Also, does the plastic trim around the boot lock need removing, or does the panel come without having to touch that (or is it part of the main panel)? Thanks.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

TurboTrev wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:23 pm
Dark_cze wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:02 pm

Except there are 4 screews. Rest is just prying.
Thanks chaps. Where are the other 2 screws? Also, does the plastic trim around the boot lock need removing, or does the panel come without having to touch that (or is it part of the main panel)? Thanks.
Why are you trying to remove the panel in the first place? Some other member has asked this question, but with no answer.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I have a photo from my dashcam fitting with the tailgate trim off. I'll upload later, but basically you have 4 screws - 2 in the bar shape cavity meant for a warning triangle and 1 each in the dark reaches of the grab handle cavity.
TurboTrev
Getting There!

Post by TurboTrev »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:30 am I have a photo from my dashcam fitting with the tailgate trim off. I'll upload later, but basically you have 4 screws - 2 in the bar shape cavity meant for a warning triangle and 1 each in the dark reaches of the grab handle cavity.
Thanks, appreciated. Dashcam fitting for me on the cards also.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

TurboTrev wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:46 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:30 am I have a photo from my dashcam fitting with the tailgate trim off. I'll upload later, but basically you have 4 screws - 2 in the bar shape cavity meant for a warning triangle and 1 each in the dark reaches of the grab handle cavity.
Thanks, appreciated. Dashcam fitting for me on the cards also.
Oo. I have put a dashcam fitment guide up in here somewhere, but have realised that I ran out of time and didn't finish it with the rear tailgate. Feeding the rear cam cabling from the rear of the car headlining to the rubber gaiter that carrys tailgate wiring is a bit of a sod. Easier to bend a coat hanger into a U shape and feed from the gaiter hole to the hole above the headlining, attach cable to coat hanger and then pull through rather than trying to thread the cable through. Then down the left hand side of the tailgate frame and tape up the slack to the tailgate lock/wiper wiring and have your rear camera pop up above the rear wiper knuckle, high enough to be within the swept area of the rear wiper.
TurboTrev
Getting There!

Post by TurboTrev »

Thanks, just taken the panel off, much easier than I thought it would be. :D
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

TurboTrev wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:31 pm Thanks, just taken the panel off, much easier than I thought it would be. :D
Theres a lot of spring pins to line up when you put it back on. I like to put a spot of masking tape on the reverse side of where they are, so you know where to give a sharp whack with the palm of your hand when refitting.
TurboTrev
Getting There!

Post by TurboTrev »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:18 pm
TurboTrev wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:31 pm Thanks, just taken the panel off, much easier than I thought it would be. :D
Theres a lot of spring pins to line up when you put it back on. I like to put a spot of masking tape on the reverse side of where they are, so you know where to give a sharp whack with the palm of your hand when refitting.
Good idea, thanks!
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

monkeyhanger wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:18 pm
I also, on my wife's 2015 6C Polo, took a picture of where the masking tape with clip positions highlighted with marker pen were, when I was adding in a Skoda pull down handle for my wife who is roughly 5ft tall - just in case I need to get back in there in the future!

Another thing I noticed on that car was, cableform made by "VW Botswana" - so local sourcing of some parts!
Nora
Bronze Member
Drives: A polo

Post by Nora »

It took me ages to figure out there where 4 (T20 torx) screws holding it up where, the 1st 2 where easy to find, but after pulling and huffing, I decided there must be some more.
then I spent ages trying to feed the cable down the OEM cable duct, and along the inside of the left steel frame. What caused me greatest frustration was the fact that there is a double skin/rib, and 1 of the 2 channels ends in a blind end, after eventually guiding it into the right channel, I found that if you pop out the bung that holds the heated element wire you can make life easier and feed the cable half way down and eventually to where I wanted it to end. However after I end up with the hanging out the OEM duct I hit a dead end as I was unable to find a way to feed the cable thru the roof liner towards the front. So after 3hrs on a hot summer day I spat the dummy and ripped it out and went to the pub, as couldn’t leave the duct loose.

It now seems I somehow dropped a clip inside the boot lid and it’s rattling around every time I shut the boot lid.