Gearbox

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
uzairhyder
New
Drives: Polo Gti 6r

Gearbox

Post by uzairhyder »

Hi, I’ve got a Polo 6R 2014 which has done 38,000 miles. After driving the car for a while the gearbox starts to sound a little clunky (when it gets hot). Is this normal due to them not having the best gearboxes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KillianDolan
New
Drives: 6R, Polo S 60bhp 2010

Re: Gearbox

Post by KillianDolan »

uzairhyder wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:33 pm Hi, I’ve got a Polo 6R 2014 which has done 38,000 miles. After driving the car for a while the gearbox starts to sound a little clunky (when it gets hot). Is this normal due to them not having the best gearboxes?

When you say driving for a while, what do you mean? Are we talking long journeys (more than three hours)?
Regardless, the gearbox shouldn't be heating up to the point that it's making a noticeable noise. When was your transmission fluid last changed? Best bet would be a fluid change and a general inspection by a mechanic to make sure nothing is wrong internally with the gearbox.
uzairhyder
New

Post by uzairhyder »

I’d say like a couple hours, not long journeys. Or when I give the car bit of a beating. Sometimes I hear it when I slow down before a bump and sometimes I hear a little *tack* when it downshifts in auto. I’ve only had the car for 3 months so I haven’t had it serviced or anything yet. I’ve also heard that VW don’t have a DSG service for the 6R gearbox as it’s a lifetime gearbox (something along them lines) so what would you suggest I do? It’s a 1.4 Polo GTI

KillianDolan
New

Post by KillianDolan »

uzairhyder wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:53 pm I’d say like a couple hours, not long journeys. Or when I give the car bit of a beating. Sometimes I hear it when I slow down before a bump and sometimes I hear a little *tack* when it downshifts in auto. I’ve only had the car for 3 months so I haven’t had it serviced or anything yet. I’ve also heard that VW don’t have a DSG service for the 6R gearbox as it’s a lifetime gearbox (something along them lines) so what would you suggest I do? It’s a 1.4 Polo GTI

VAG recommends that the DSG gearbox oil be changed every 40k miles. So the likelihood is that your car has not had it done in it's lifetime. (Of course, check your owners log book and see if it has been done before).
Depending on just how rough the car has been driven, I'd say the oil should of been changed a good 10-15k miles ago as if the oil is contaminated in any way it can cause issues when it comes to shifting and gear selection as the clutch isn't able to be cooled down as good as it would with fresh oil.

Personally from my course on vehicle maintenance, the manufactures recommendation isn't always right. It depends on sooooo many factors, but what the manufacturer recommends is based on normal driving conditions at all times. Not having some fun on the B road's with your mates :)

I'd call up a local mechanic and ask them to do a DSG oil + filter change, whilst they are doing that, just ask them to do an inspection of the clutch for excessive wear and tear. It's better to get any of that work done now to avoid issues further down the line. VW will likely charge an arm and a leg to do it, so if you know a reliable local mechanic, just pop in for a quote and see what the differences are.
uzairhyder
New

Post by uzairhyder »

KillianDolan wrote:
uzairhyder wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:53 pm I’d say like a couple hours, not long journeys. Or when I give the car bit of a beating. Sometimes I hear it when I slow down before a bump and sometimes I hear a little *tack* when it downshifts in auto. I’ve only had the car for 3 months so I haven’t had it serviced or anything yet. I’ve also heard that VW don’t have a DSG service for the 6R gearbox as it’s a lifetime gearbox (something along them lines) so what would you suggest I do? It’s a 1.4 Polo GTI

VAG recommends that the DSG gearbox oil be changed every 40k miles. So the likelihood is that your car has not had it done in it's lifetime. (Of course, check your owners log book and see if it has been done before).
Depending on just how rough the car has been driven, I'd say the oil should of been changed a good 10-15k miles ago as if the oil is contaminated in any way it can cause issues when it comes to shifting and gear selection as the clutch isn't able to be cooled down as good as it would with fresh oil.

Personally from my course on vehicle maintenance, the manufactures recommendation isn't always right. It depends on sooooo many factors, but what the manufacturer recommends is based on normal driving conditions at all times. Not having some fun on the B road's with your mates :)

I'd call up a local mechanic and ask them to do a DSG oil + filter change, whilst they are doing that, just ask them to do an inspection of the clutch for excessive wear and tear. It's better to get any of that work done now to avoid issues further down the line. VW will likely charge an arm and a leg to do it, so if you know a reliable local mechanic, just pop in for a quote and see what the differences are.
Thanks a lot for the help, I’ll pop down to my local mechanic ASAP since I’ve had it tuned [emoji1787]

KillianDolan
New

Post by KillianDolan »

uzairhyder wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:43 pm
KillianDolan wrote:

Thanks a lot for the help, I’ll pop down to my local mechanic ASAP since I’ve had it tuned [emoji1787]

No problem at all, let me know how it goes!
uzairhyder
New

Post by uzairhyder »

KillianDolan wrote:
uzairhyder wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:43 pm
KillianDolan wrote: VAG recommends that the DSG gearbox oil be changed every 40k miles. So the likelihood is that your car has not had it done in it's lifetime. (Of course, check your owners log book and see if it has been done before).

No problem at all, let me know how it goes!
Apparently, VW say there’s no DSG oil change for the Polo’s since it’s a lifelong gearbox? Am I wrong??

Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

You can change the gearbox box oil but it's not a service item.

The dsg boxes that require the 40k services are for the ones with wet clutches.
Whitwhicky 6r gti
New
Drives: 6R GTI

Post by Whitwhicky 6r gti »

Dink wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:50 pm You can change the gearbox box oil but it's not a service item.

The dsg boxes that require the 40k services are for the ones with wet clutches.
So you can just change the oil with the dry clutches?