Polo GTI colours

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
TomMortimer
New

Polo GTI colours

Post by TomMortimer »

So I’m looking at colours for the Polo GTI plus, I like them all.

I’m leaning towards reef blue at the minute but all of them look great in the right light

I know the colour is your personal opinion but what’s the general view on the range of colours?
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Polo GTI colours

Post by monkeyhanger »

TomMortimer wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:04 pm So I’m looking at colours for the Polo GTI plus, I like them all.

I’m leaning towards reef blue at the minute but all of them look great in the right light

I know the colour is your personal opinion but what’s the general view on the range of colours?
It's not just about what you like, but what suits.

For me, GTI colours are:

Red (the flash red really glows in the sun and streetlights at night). Complements the red accents.

White (looks better for longer without trying too hard). Contrasts the red accents well.

Silver, the classic GTI colour - not available on Polo GTI!

Black (shows every swirl and stone chip really easily). Contrasts nicely with the red accents. Black can make a car look sleek and aggressive - don't personally think it does that for the Polo.

The other colours don't seem like GTI colours to me:-

Reef blue (like black, shows every swirl and stone chip). Contrasts the red nicely. I like blue cars, but it's a bit dark for me

Limestone grey. Really not a fan. In certain lights it looks like a proper moody grey. ideal. Most of the time though it has that window putty or mushroom shade to it - that's what I don't like.

We have a red one and a white one in the household. I chose red. With what was left to choose from, I had to go with white for the missus (she was in agreement). I'm not generally a fan of white cars but it really suits the GTI.

A proper blue/indigo grey like the classic Audi S-line colour (Monsoon grey?) or Silver would've been my choice if available.

The colour choice was a bit crap IMO.
Ima
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTi+ on order

Post by Ima »

I have to agree that colour choice on GTi is really poor. I really struggled on the Polo. As said already colour is so subjective but for me, I liked the blue in the right light but overall thought the details of the bodywork were lost, and it didn’t really suit the car, the grey was too mushroom and no black pack as an option, the black lost all the lines and details of the car and made it look very ordinary to me. It came down to red or white and this was a tough choice especially as I’d already had a few white cars already. The red is classic and with black roof and mirrors looks really smart but it’s harder to see the badging and red stripe across the front but overall suits the car. In the end I went white again as with the black pack it really shows the character lines across the sides of the car and all the red and black details really stand out. Overall, of the colours available for me it’s red or white and both really suit the car.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@TomMortimer - My general view of the GTI colour choice? Limited and not very inspiring.

If you entrust the washing your car to one of the many hand wash car washing set-ups, allow the VW dealer to wash your car when it’s at the dealer’s for servicing or repairs, you use automatic car washes or you still use the old school method of single bucket, sponge and chamois leather, avoid darker colours (Deep Black Pearl and Reef Blue) unless you like your paintwork to show the swirls and scratches those wash methods will inflict on the paintwork. I’ve owned a number of black cars over the years, and they are a labour of love to keep them looking good, and require a safe, careful wash technique to be used to minimise the risk of swirling. I currently have the previous generation Polo GTI in Blue Silk, which IMO suits the GTI and contrasts well with the red GTI accents. It’s not as dark as Reef Blue, so less of a chore to maintain than Reef Blue would be.

Limestone Grey (LSG) is a bit of a ‘Marmite’ colour. If you look at nearly new GTI’s / GTI+‘s for sale on VW’s website, there are probably fewer examples of LSG than there are of other colours, so maybe it’s not as popular a colour as some of the other choices. Looks quite good in bright, sunny conditions, but IMO looks quite a dull colour with a brown-beige hue in other lighting conditions.

Flash Red suits the GTI / GTI+, but IMO the red GTI accents get ‘lost’, although the black GTI-specific elements of trim (tailgate spoiler, sill extensions, front lip and bumper trim, rear diffuser) do contrast well with the red paintwork. Red is also the ‘free’ paint colour for the GTI/GTI+, whereas you pay extra for the other colours (white is less expensive than Black, Blue or LSG though).

Pure White; contrasts well with the red and black GTI accents, is a ‘forgiving’ colour from a maintenance point of view as it will hide swirls and scratches fairly well. It’ll also be easier to repair the inevitable stone chips and they’ll be less noticeable before and after repairing them as VW use a light coloured primer when they paint their cars in the factory. If you’re unfortunate enough to need bodywork / paintwork repairs, White should also be one of the easiest - if not the easiest colour to get a good colour match, although with modern spectrophotometer paint matching technology used by good, reputable bodyshops, this should be less of an issue these days with some of the harder to match colours.

Of the limited choice, my preference would be white, although colour choice is a very personal thing and different people will have different preferences.
Last edited by SRGTD on Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackpug
New
Drives: Car

Post by Blackpug »

White with black roof. My car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kieranhendy
New
Drives: Polo AW R-Line 2019

Post by kieranhendy »

Personally the blue is my favourite on the GTI. I quite like the dark grey though.
Griff74
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTi+ in Reef blue

Post by Griff74 »

I agree with what others have said already, the colour choices for the GTi are very limited, SEAT offer much nicer colours on their sporty models (Mystery Blue and Desire Red for example) and you don't pay extra for metallic either!

As my last car was black I wasn't doing that again, I wanted either Reef Blue or white with the black roof, there was a blue one in the spec I wanted in the order system so went with that.

I don't think Reef blue is too dark, not in person and seems to be ok(ish) at not showing Mark's and swirls etc.
green justin
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Polo GTI

Post by green justin »

If not reef blue then red! Silver is my 1st option.
I love my reef blue color, so many shades of blue depending on the light😎
You can mess up the color if you tint the windows too dark!
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

Reef blue is my fav.
I've got the black roof and mirror caps, which I think is a really nice contrast.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I’d probably not go for the black roof. I know the contrast with some of the available paint colours works well and at £50 (GTI+ option price; it’s not so cheap at £300 on other models! 😯), it’s a cheap option to have on a GTI+, but gloss black vinyl wrap is susceptible to swirl marks in the same way as black paint is, and I’d be concerned over the durability of the vinyl over time to stand up to machine polishing to remove swirling.

A couple of things about the black roof would play havoc with my car OCD;
  • My paint colour choice would be white, which IMO would be the best colour to provide contrast with the black roof. However, even just after washing, the black roof would have that visible layer of dust on it that would be ‘hidden‘ on the rest of a white car. That would play havoc with my car OCD; a clean looking car apart from the black roof covered in a visible dusty layer.
  • I don’t like the way the black vinyl wrap stops a few millimetres short of the rear edge of the roof; at least the one at my local dealers did that I saw a while back so assume that’s still the case. IMO it would look better if the vinyl extended right up to the edge of the roof and the top (horizontal) section of the tailgate between the tailgate spoiler and the rear edge of the roof was also wrapped in black - if you ordered the black roof option on a mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport, then that section of the tailgate was black, extending the black roof to the edge of the tailgate spoiler. It would’ve cost very little for VW to apply the black wrap to that section as well.
I wish I didn’t suffer from car OCD! 😂
PhilArnold
Bronze Member
Drives: White AW Gti+

Post by PhilArnold »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:25 pm I’d probably not go for the black roof. I know the contrast with some of the available paint colours works well and at £50 (GTI+ option price; it’s not so cheap at £300 on other models! 😯), it’s a cheap option to have on a GTI+, but gloss black vinyl wrap is susceptible to swirl marks in the same way as black paint is, and I’d be concerned over the durability of the vinyl over time to stand up to machine polishing to remove swirling.

A couple of things about the black roof would play havoc with my car OCD;
  • My paint colour choice would be white, which IMO would be the best colour to provide contrast with the black roof. However, even just after washing, the black roof would have that visible layer of dust on it that would be ‘hidden‘ on the rest of a white car. That would play havoc with my car OCD; a clean looking car apart from the black roof covered in a visible dusty layer.
  • I don’t like the way the black vinyl wrap stops a few millimetres short of the rear edge of the roof; at least the one at my local dealers did that I saw a while back so assume that’s still the case. IMO it would look better if the vinyl extended right up to the edge of the roof and the top (horizontal) section of the tailgate between the tailgate spoiler and the rear edge of the roof was also wrapped in black - if you ordered the black roof option on a mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport, then that section of the tailgate was black, extending the black roof to the edge of the tailgate spoiler. It would’ve cost very little for VW to apply the black wrap to that section as well.
I wish I didn’t suffer from car OCD! 😂
Exactly this reason why I went for just white and not the black add-on. I had heard the roof was a wrap and figured the wrap would be soft as hell so show up all manner of swirls and also be susceptible to water spotting too

I've currently got a white 6C GTi and love how crisp and clean it looks when freshly washed so it was a no brainer to me to order again in white
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Agree on the black roof. It's a nightmare when it comes to cleaning.

You have to dry it almost instantly once you've washed off any soap otherwise you just get water spots all over the roof. Also dust/dirt will show clearly even on the next day after a clean. Triggers my OCD a lot!

Overall though I think White/Black suits the GTI the most, then Red. :)