Still probs with my polo!

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Goz1
New

Still probs with my polo!

Post by Goz1 »

Still having problems with my mark 5 polo! It's been in to my local vw dealer 3 times with this problem but they cant find it. They've put it on the diagnostic check every time, but nothing has been highlighted. The problem is that my car will be driving fine but then as I'm slowing down it will cut out and the power steering will give up and so it is pretty dangerous. Vw said that I didn't have the standard air filter on my car as Ive got a K&N induction kit. So Ive changed my filter back to the original one to see if the problem still occurs, and it does. Sometimes as I'm driving the battery light comes on and then goes off, yet other times when it does that the car cuts out. It's going back to VW on Tuesday, a week today, problem is that my 3 yr warrenty runs out on 25th of this month. Anyone got any ideas? Cora :?
J-O
Bronze Member

Post by J-O »

if the battery lights comes on, maybe some wire have been almost cutted by some animal at night (don't know the same in English...)...

[edit by polo2k]
if the battery light comes on, maybe some wires have almost been cut by an animal at night
[/edit by polo2k]

anyway, for you warranty, usually, went a problem is delcared before the end of the warranty it is covered (or almost covered)...

Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

id be inclined to say that you have either a faulty ecu or a bad connection into the ecu try unplugging the ecu and then reconnecting it a few times
Polo17
Getting There!

Post by Polo17 »

u leave the kn on when u go to vw? mine goes off when the car goes in whilst its under warranty!
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty running out on the 25th.

As long as you've told them that the problem is still there, they should fix the problem (even if they are still trying to fix the problem after the 25th).

You have told them about the problem while your car is still under warranty.

Anyway, try the battery. Take the wires off the terminals and clean the battery terminals with wire wool (be careful not to touch them together/don't leave either of the wires connected while you're doing this) - Just be careful!

Then put the wires back on to the terminals, tighten fully and apply a bit of greece on top of the terminals.

Just be careful as there are a lot of amps in a car battery (enough to weld a spanner onto the terminals if one fell accross and bridged the terminals! :shock: )

Also, make sure all the HT leads are good and not split etc
WARNING! HT LEADS ARE EVEN MORE DANGEROUS THAN THE BATTERY! DON'T TOUCH THEM WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING!

That's about all I know. (and I'm going to be late for work if I don't get in the shower now!)
Goz1
New

Post by Goz1 »

Thanks for all your help, I'll give it a go. Someone else has said it could be my throttle body and that it needs cleaning or replacing due to a carbon build up. Cora :roll:
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

it could be the tb, to vcheck remove the air filter and look down the oopening with the plate shut across it and if its black then clean it

a throttle readaptation may also help

and what josh said about ht leads is true, there is about 30,000Volts passing though and this can kill you even though its at a low amperage. its so powerful in fact that if you touch them then it can split your skin open and corterise the cut, so you end up with a gash that dosent blead
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

Polo17 wrote:u leave the kn on when u go to vw? mine goes off when the car goes in whilst its under warranty!
Alex, I meant to say this to you when you were talking about it but got called away.

From http://www.knfilters.com/faq

16. Will the use of a K&N filter void my factory warranty?

"It is against the law for a manufacturer to require the use of a specific brand of air filter unless it provides a replacement air filter, free of charge, under the terms of the warranty"

also...

"Contrary to what you may have heard or read, in the USA, a K&N Filtercharger will not void your vehicle warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, passed in 1975, prohibits a manufacturer from conditioning its warranty of a consumer product upon the consumer using any article or service (other than one provided without charge under the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name, unless expressly authorized by the Federal Trade Commission. If the manufacturer does not provide air filters free of charge, they cannot void the vehicle's warranty simply because you have installed an aftermarket air filter."

Says 'In the USA'. But i'm 99% sure its the same over here