Original infotainment upgrade

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
T666jay
New
Drives: 2016 POLO GTI 1.8 AUTO DSG

Original infotainment upgrade

Post by T666jay »

Having alreadly looked through the forum and read topics on the infotainment systems, one thing that i couldn't find was info about swapping the systems .

My current system is 3Q0035820B not sure of the display part number and i want the system with the navigation on it (3Q0035874A with the display change aswell).

Are the systems just 'plug and play' or would they need to have component activation done to them/ coded to the car? Or could someone suggest if its possible to add a navigation system to my current one?

(2016 Polo GTI 1.8 DSG)
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Re: Original infotainment upgrade

Post by Dink »

you would be better off getting an unlocked unit from a retrofit place then it would just be a case of swapping over both the glovebox unit and screen.

the vw nav is supposed to be not that good so i don't know if it's worth paying the extra rather than a app-connect unit
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Dink wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:05 pm the vw nav is supposed to be not that good so i don't know if it's worth paying the extra rather than a app-connect unit
Based on feedback on other VW forums, it seems that the process for updating the maps is frustrating and can take ages. I’d not bother with VW sat nav; agree it would be better to get a replacement unit with app connect and use Waze or Google maps.
T666jay
New

Post by T666jay »

Thanks for the replies.
I used to have the ibiza fr which had the dash mounted sat nav and not having one is a little fustrating. Ill look around. Can anyone reccomend a unit thats good?
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

3Q0035842B or C is the app connect unit.

since they have been cracked the price of them has gone up (i paid £40 about 2 years ago) but now they are £100+ normally.

it's about £100 to get a unit unlocked and all the features unlocked (sport hmi, app connect and voice control iirc)
T666jay
New

Post by T666jay »

Thanks for that.
Guessing when you say cracked it will just plug and play with the car. Im guessing the display unit would need to be changed aswell?