Ross-Tech VCDS

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
silver38
New
Drives: GTi+

Ross-Tech VCDS

Post by silver38 »

Anyone used VCDS on their Polo GTI+?

I have a genuine Ross-Tech Hex+Can interface I have used in the past with no problems on a 2015 Golf MK7 GTD I previously owned. I updated the VCDS software to
Version: 21.3.0.0 (x64) to auto scan my Polo GTI+, at the end of every address scaned this is what i get,
Unsupported vehicle.Please upgrade to a current Ross-Tech interface.

Anyone got an older version 19.6.2.0 (x64) or 20.4.2.0 (x64) or Version: 18.9.0.2 (x64)?

Thanks
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Ross-Tech VCDS

Post by monkeyhanger »

silver38 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:22 pm Anyone used VCDS on their Polo GTI+?

I have a genuine Ross-Tech Hex+Can interface I have used in the past with no problems on a 2015 Golf MK7 GTD I previously owned. I updated the VCDS software to
Version: 21.3.0.0 (x64) to auto scan my Polo GTI+, at the end of every address scaned this is what i get,
Unsupported vehicle.Please upgrade to a current Ross-Tech interface.

Anyone got an older version 19.6.2.0 (x64) or 20.4.2.0 (x64) or Version: 18.9.0.2 (x64)?

Thanks
Buy an obd11 instead, just as functional and a fraction of the price. Not a lot you can tweak on the Polo, I think the only thing there that I could find and change was to turn soundaktor down and get a few more gauges via "off road" mode.
silver38
New

Post by silver38 »

I have the OBDELEVEN Pro, but not with me at my current location. I have a problem with the DSG. In 2,3,4 and 5th it sounds like the clutch is slipping from 1500 to 2000rpm and feels like the brake is lightly pulsing. I wanted to check the 02 Auto Trans for fault codes.
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Post by ho8882000 »

I also have the genuine VCDS (Version: 21.3.0), I have no problems using it on my MY20 Polo 1.6 Conceptline.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

The problem is, I think, that the OP has the previous version of VCDS cable, so it needs to be traded in for one of the current ones, then everything will work.
silver38
New

Post by silver38 »

@RUM4MO
Do you know anyone in the UK that does the trade in programme?

Thanks
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

silver38 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:20 pm @RUM4MO
Do you know anyone in the UK that does the trade in programme?

Thanks
If you have a completely legit version of the older HEX+CAN, then contact any of the official VCDS re-sellers listed on the Ross-Tech website - but, a far better way of doing this is to sell that fully legit version of HEX+CAN on ebay etc, they do seem to still attract good money when compared with what the normal trade in price is, plus normally trading in is only accepted against you buying a 10VIN or unlimited VIN version.

I know all this, I think that I got £185 allowance when many were being sold on ebay for £285 used!

If you don't try you will never find out, maybe have a look for used HEX+CAN prices, or at least the selling price of them on ebay.

If you know where you bought that VCDS originally, I'd be checking out their trade in price first so that you know what they are offering.
csrajput1
New
Drives: GTI

Post by csrajput1 »

I'm in the same boat as OP.

I will be selling my HEX CAN on ebay and then purchasing HEX V2 but undecided whether to go for 3 VIN or 10VIN.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

csrajput1 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:34 am I'm in the same boat as OP.

I will be selling my HEX CAN on ebay and then purchasing HEX V2 but undecided whether to go for 3 VIN or 10VIN.
Well as I traded my HEX CAN version in against HEX V2, I could only do that, or was given a better trade in deal, if I took out 10VIN or unlimited VIN, so I took out 10VIN.

Then a year later I was helping a friend who has a late 2018 Audi A6 - due to lack of use his original battery went bad and he got his local friendly small garage to replace that battery, which they did but fitted in an AGM version without changing anything in the BMS settings. So, I suggested that I could sort that out for him with my VCDS, doing that was going to be a win-win for both of us as I had never had to examine and/or change any settings relating to batteries, but, it did mean giving away "a VIN" which I saw as being an investment as I gained some knowledge.
I also have Carista and as I was an early adopter of that, I have complete access to all tasks built into the initial cost, have has turned out to be very handy, Carista was only bought to "use on the road" and a dongle is kept in both cars, but now that I have the new version of VCDS, it has become useful to use Carista to reset service warnings etc - to use VCDS to do that I'd use up a VIN per car.
Now the silly part, last year I was not concentrating on what I was doing so after I serviced my Audi S4, and using VCDS to scan it and save for my records, I used VCDS to reset the service warnings, naively inputted the last 3 digits of that car's VIN when requested, and so used up another VIN - that was brain fart time, but in due course I found that I will need to have that car "logged" to my VCDS so that I can run other tests relating to Charge Cooler Pump possible limitations to pump as much coolant as intended.
Also, while investigating the operation of that electric pump in my Audi S4, I ran a similar test on my wife's 2015 Polo 1.2TSI - and yes to do that I needed to use up another VIN.

So, maybe think very carefully before picking the 3VIN over the 10VIN, my original reason to buy HEX V2 as I said was my daughter buying a new SEAT Leon Cupra - as at that time I had no need to upgrade, though I'd think that I will in the future, you are in a different place as your current car requires you to have HEX V2, I think that I fully understood what I was getting myself into though, I've only missed one thing, and that was the chance to upgrade to "unlimited" from 10VIN at a very good price, either earlier this year or last year at the 20th birthday of VCDS, I am reg'd with VCDS fully so I don't know why I did not receive that info via email, but too late now, as that product will hold more of its value if/when you sell it with some "VINs" left in it.

Edit:- the other aspect of having the latest version of VCDS, if someone needs you to look at their car in a way that requires you to use up a "VIN", then they need to hand over some cash, maybe £35 > £45 for you to bank against buying a "10VIN" refresh pack from RossTech, now that might seem being a bit mercenary but it is reality, they are gaining something and you are getting compensation for helping out, it certainly separates the wasters from the rest. Another mate of mine wanted me to change something in his VW T-Roc and I was quite happy to do that if he handed over £40 and any other use of VCDS on his car would be free after that - he lost interest immediately. I understand why RossTech have put that limitation on its "deep" use as many small repairers previously could make lots of money out of owning it without any of that cash heading RossTech's direction. Most other modern scan tools are or had already moved to that business model for the same reasons.
silver38
New

Post by silver38 »

I bought a HEX-V2 10VIN from Marshall Industrial who offer £100.00 refund when you purchase a new lead.
csrajput1
New
Drives: GTI

Post by csrajput1 »

RUM4MO wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:32 am
csrajput1 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:34 am I'm in the same boat as OP.

Well as I traded my HEX CAN version in against HEX V2, I could only do that, or was given a better trade in deal, if I took out 10VIN or unlimited VIN, so I took out 10VIN.

Then a year later I was helping a friend who has a late 2018 Audi A6 - due to lack of use his original battery went bad and he got his local friendly small garage to replace that battery, which they did but fitted in an AGM version without changing anything in the BMS settings. So, I suggested that I could sort that out for him with my VCDS, doing that was going to be a win-win for both of us as I had never had to examine and/or change any settings relating to batteries, but, it did mean giving away "a VIN" which I saw as being an investment as I gained some knowledge.
I also have Carista and as I was an early adopter of that, I have complete access to all tasks built into the initial cost, have has turned out to be very handy, Carista was only bought to "use on the road" and a dongle is kept in both cars, but now that I have the new version of VCDS, it has become useful to use Carista to reset service warnings etc - to use VCDS to do that I'd use up a VIN per car.
Now the silly part, last year I was not concentrating on what I was doing so after I serviced my Audi S4, and using VCDS to scan it and save for my records, I used VCDS to reset the service warnings, naively inputted the last 3 digits of that car's VIN when requested, and so used up another VIN - that was brain fart time, but in due course I found that I will need to have that car "logged" to my VCDS so that I can run other tests relating to Charge Cooler Pump possible limitations to pump as much coolant as intended.
Also, while investigating the operation of that electric pump in my Audi S4, I ran a similar test on my wife's 2015 Polo 1.2TSI - and yes to do that I needed to use up another VIN.

So, maybe think very carefully before picking the 3VIN over the 10VIN, my original reason to buy HEX V2 as I said was my daughter buying a new SEAT Leon Cupra - as at that time I had no need to upgrade, though I'd think that I will in the future, you are in a different place as your current car requires you to have HEX V2, I think that I fully understood what I was getting myself into though, I've only missed one thing, and that was the chance to upgrade to "unlimited" from 10VIN at a very good price, either earlier this year or last year at the 20th birthday of VCDS, I am reg'd with VCDS fully so I don't know why I did not receive that info via email, but too late now, as that product will hold more of its value if/when you sell it with some "VINs" left in it.

Edit:- the other aspect of having the latest version of VCDS, if someone needs you to look at their car in a way that requires you to use up a "VIN", then they need to hand over some cash, maybe £35 > £45 for you to bank against buying a "10VIN" refresh pack from RossTech, now that might seem being a bit mercenary but it is reality, they are gaining something and you are getting compensation for helping out, it certainly separates the wasters from the rest. Another mate of mine wanted me to change something in his VW T-Roc and I was quite happy to do that if he handed over £40 and any other use of VCDS on his car would be free after that - he lost interest immediately. I understand why RossTech have put that limitation on its "deep" use as many small repairers previously could make lots of money out of owning it without any of that cash heading RossTech's direction. Most other modern scan tools are or had already moved to that business model for the same reasons.
Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm definitely looking at either 10vin or unlimited now.

Interesting you have a S4 too! That's the other car I have in the household.
Armstrong21490
New
Drives: Mk10 gti+

Post by Armstrong21490 »

The same thing happened to me. I moved to a polo gti+ from a 58 plate audi s3. Tried scanning the car and got the same message as you. No point having the cable anymore if I couldn't use it so I put it on ebay and managed to get £300 for it. Only paid £225 for it 7 years previous so was happy lol.