Interior mods/QOL accessories

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
dash09
New
Drives: 2021 AW GTI

Interior mods/QOL accessories

Post by dash09 »

Hi everyone, i've been stalking this forum for a little while and finally decided to create an account.
I'm from South Africa and recently bought a 2021 AW GTI in August(I got 1 of the last few available before local production stopped) and I'm looking to do a few small minor things on the interior.

First on my list is paddle shift extensions. I dont use the paddles often but I do like the look of the extensions, and I do not want the stick on I want to replace them. Locally theres pretty much no options available however I notice the shape of the mk7 golf extensions match the polo, can anyone confirm if this is true? Its easier to find golf parts around here.

Next up, I believe I have 1 of those blank sd card slots in my glove box. The slot is there but I dont think theres a reader inside it. Is it possible to install 1 myself? This is more for convenience, I do use my phone for music but I dont always want to be streaming. I have my own library of lossless audio.

Lastly, I want to add a footrest plate/cover that would match the other pedals. Are these available anywhere?

I'm happy ordering from amazon us or uk if anyone has links for some mods
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Interior mods/QOL accessories

Post by SRGTD »

I’m pretty certain that mk7 / mk7.5 Golf DSG paddles shifters will fit the AW Polo GTI, as the steering wheel in the Polo GTI is the same design as the one in mk7 / mk7.5 performance Golfs. That’s assuming your 2021 Polo GTI is the pre-facelift model. The new facelift Polo has a different steering wheel - similar or the same as the mk8 Golf GTI - and the paddle shifters for the mk7 Golf GTI and pre-facelift AW Polo GTI won’t fit the mk8 Golf GTI’s or facelift Polo GTI’s steering wheel.

The paddle shifters at the links below should fit a pre-facelift AW Polo GTI (there are others available - different colours and various prices). There are some very expensive ones available, but if you’re not going to be using them very often, then I’d personally not be looking to spend too much;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124513306484 ... %3A2047675

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333970765806 ... %3A2047675

I’ve not changed the paddle shifters in my car but I think the locating pins that hold them in place are plastic, so be careful not to break the pins when removing them.

Rather than try and modify the card slot in your glovebox, why not use a memory stick and plug it into one of the USB sockets in the centre console below the heater controls? I do this and it works fine. The physical size of some of these is very small, so when they’re plugged in, you don’t really notice them.

Sorry, can’t help on the footrest cover. If the factory plastic footrest is the same size as the one in the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf then you could fit a Golf version. Quite a few forum members on Golf forums have fitted one of these - seems to be a popular modification. I read on a Seat forum recently that in the Leon, the size of the footrest may be different for manual and DSG cars, if this is also the case with the Golf, you’ll need to make sure you get the correct size version.
dash09
New
Drives: 2021 AW GTI

Post by dash09 »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:25 am I’m pretty certain that mk7 / mk7.5 Golf DSG paddles shifters will fit the AW Polo GTI, as the steering wheel in the Polo GTI is the same design as the one in mk7 / mk7.5 performance Golfs. That’s assuming your 2021 Polo GTI is the pre-facelift model. The new facelift Polo has a different steering wheel - similar or the same as the mk8 Golf GTI - and the paddle shifters for the mk7 Golf GTI and pre-facelift AW Polo GTI won’t fit the mk8 Golf GTI’s or facelift Polo GTI’s steering wheel.

The paddle shifters at the links below should fit a pre-facelift AW Polo GTI (there are others available - different colours and various prices). There are some very expensive ones available, but if you’re not going to be using them very often, then I’d personally not be looking to spend too much;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124513306484 ... %3A2047675

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333970765806 ... %3A2047675

I’ve not changed the paddle shifters in my car but I think the locating pins that hold them in place are plastic, so be careful not to break the pins when removing them.

Rather than try and modify the card slot in your glovebox, why not use a memory stick and plug it into one of the USB sockets in the centre console below the heater controls? I do this and it works fine. The physical size of some of these is very small, so when they’re plugged in, you don’t really notice them.
Assuming by facelift you mean the newest model, that will be releasing here early 2022. Mine is the current model and yes I've noticed the steering is the same as the golf. I'm fairly confident the paddles would fit now, just wanted to make sure. I'll buy a cheapo set off amazon. This is more for aesthetics to be honest, the car just did 2000km and only about 50km was driven in manual.

Regarding the sd slot, I'll check with the dealership when I go in for a service if this can be retro fitted and at what cost. I can do without it though.
I dont mind using a memory stick, the only problem is this car has type c ports (even the rear charging ports are type c), maybe I'll try a type c sd card reader.
I use my phone daily in the car, thing is while connected it doesnt fit in the slot with the wireless charger, so its basically lying out in the open. Here in south africa you do not want to stop at a traffic light and have a cellphone visible in your car
breeza
New
Drives: Reflex silver SEL 110ps

Post by breeza »

I have USB-C slots and I have been using a 32GB sandisk memory stick. This does work but sometimes when getting back in the car it doesn't continue where it left off and jumps back to the first track on the stick. I had the same issue in my old golf with a USB stick but the memory card was faultless.

Anybody got any tips to resolve this?
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

breeza wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:43 pm I have USB-C slots and I have been using a 32GB sandisk memory stick. This does work but sometimes when getting back in the car it doesn't continue where it left off and jumps back to the first track on the stick. I had the same issue in my old golf with a USB stick but the memory card was faultless.

Anybody got any tips to resolve this?
I honestly think people developing system for head units in VW are bunch of graduates which found most of the code on stackoverflow.com. :D So that might be issue ... but who knows.